back to article Lucky you. Twitter offers you its 'Digits' (for mobe app sign-ins)

Twitter's launch of a service that provides a new way to sign up to apps without using passwords has received a cautious welcome from security experts. The new service, Digits, is designed to offer application developers a simpler, password-free login option for their mobile applications. The utility is designed to fit into …

1. Stevie

Bah!

What would be neat would be some sort of small, super-portable thing that served to tell any compatible device that if it is within, say, two feet, it can assume the owner is using it and if not in range cause the phone, tablet, googlespex or whatever to lock down pending a password unlock or even power off.

That way, if you leave the I'm Me device at home or lose it you can still use your devices at the pain of having to unlock them and disable the protection, but if you leave your phone in a bar it will need to be unlocked to be used for nefarious purposes without your having to remember to lock it.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Bah!

It's already been thought of, it's called Trusted Bluetooth devices although it seems only the Moto X has it.

It's built into Android 5 though so everything should have it in the future.

2. depicus

What developer would ever trust Twitter again ?

I find it hard to believe app developers would trust Twitter again after it allowed 3rd party develops to build their business then cut them off bit by bit.

As a user I have no interest in sms login, I dislike it because there will be times I want to try an app so might provide a dummy email address which cannot be done now. And what about those who use company phones or those who don't have a number.

I'm sure it will spawn a small industry in anonymous sms receiving web sites.

tl:dr me no likey

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like