back to article UNIX greybeards threaten Debian fork over systemd plan

A group of “Veteran Unix Admins” reckons too much input from GNOME devs is dumbing down Debian, and in response, is floating the idea of a fork. As the rebel greybeards put it, “... current leadership of the project is heavily influenced by GNOME developers and too much inclined to consider desktop needs as crucial to the …

Page:

1. Ole Juul

Go for it

“If systemd will be substituting sysvinit in Debian, we will fork the project and create a new distro. We hope this won't be necessary, but we are well prepared for it,”

I hope they do it. I look forward to Debian being turned around and getting back on track.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Go for it

Lennart Poettering is a Microsoft mole.

But seriously, I think Poettering has good intentions but is implementing the wrong solution.

Binary coupling is the wrong way to tackle the problem of tidying up the Linux system infrastructure.

Interface standards like DBus are how you achieve this, not the sprawling, all-encompassing mess that is presented to us at the moment.

A fork might be the only solution to this. So many distributions are seduced by the cosy feeling of convenience. The tight encompassing of systemd to so many distinct system components will stifle innovation.

Poettering would do to learn from the teachings of experience from some very clever people in Unix history. Do one thing and do it very well.

1. andreashappe

> Interface standards like DBus are how you achieve this,

> not the sprawling, all-encompassing mess that is presented

> to us at the moment.

You mean like those: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/dbus/

Please check you facts first, the systemd documentation (including all those dbus interfaces) is actually way better than the "normal" init stuff that I've encountered in the couple of years.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> You mean like those: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/dbus/

If only it would stop there.

The number of other system components that are link-reliant on systemd is growing. This in itself is the problem. More and more it is becoming practically impossible to not have systemd in the ecosystem somewhere.

http://gimpforums.com/thread-why-is-systemd-required-to-run-gimp

2. t.est

Well, get a mac and u are in the future already :D

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

> Poettering would do to learn from the teachings of experience

Poettering doesn't learn. And he doesn't listen to anybody. That's the problem.

1. h3

Another part of it is the fact that nobody else is contributing large amounts of manpower to the desktop other than Redhat. When there was SuSE and Sun as well it wasn't so bad.

He is almost single handedly responsible for me being back on Windows. (The fact that Alsa can never get ice1712 correct for more than one -rc of alsa-driver at a time is another part).

Freebsd or OSS4 is perfect for my card.

I have one old Thinkpad that still has Linux but most of it was built from source (No Alsa / Pulseaudio / systemd / avahi - XiG X (r200) / OSS4 / pkg-src).

I have a pretty powerful Netbsd VPS and I just use that.

3. t.est

Well yeah, he should have used launchd form the beginning instead.

But ditch the init already and get out of the cave u cavemen.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Poettering IS A MOLE! His "secret handler" : CORPORATE AMERICA! He even has a little panegyrist/catamite running a fanboy site with a name a lot like "MORONIX." Forking is the ONLY thing which will save Debian. As for saving GNU/Linux, I've a Modest Proposal below...

The ugly FACT is that SWARMS of mediocre little dweebs like Chamber-Pottering have been excreted into the american software mills; conditioned from primary school to the M$ paradigm. DeadCat stopped upholding REAL software Freedom in the fall of 1999, a year which Chamber-Pottering or Michelle Tinkerbell doubtless only recall for their toilet training about then.

So, some Big Buck$ has hired this little shill and suddenly pumped a LOT of effort behind his poison code? GRAB HIM! HURT HIM REAL BAD, THEN KILL HIM! Neat, and sends a clear message to the timid sorts in corporate offices. A twisted Lennart-corpus on their front steps upsets their delicate digestions. They'll See Reason then.

I've tried one of the modern distros, Arch, a real loser thanks to their knee-jerk adoption of systemd, and 1 year of it has been quite enough. Show this little epistle to "Lennart" as his sweet-heart Tinkerbell at Moronix so fondly calls him. I'm a little far away to make the Hit, but creative minds closer to his nest may get cracking...

and Now, a Little Homily TO Lennart,

When you sell your soul so cheaply, to do such evil as you have, Lennart Dear Heart, don't wet your bed when Real People decide you need to stop exhaling into our atmosphere. I suggest YOU take a LONG Vacation. Pack your bags Little Man, NOW. Visit Tibet. Learn basket weaving. Keep your sticky little protuberances OFF all computer inputs though, or know Real People will be looking to correct some SERIOUS FLAWS in the WWW. Reflect on what you've done and why, but STOP IT NOW AND DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Yup, same here. Go ahead and get rid of that systemd shit. I sure did go back to sysv on all my debian machines, systemd is just... not up to the job on a real machine. I can see how it can be useful on a "reboot-every minute" tablet, but on a proper computer it just doesn't work (on top of slapping all the UNIX principles in the face, repeteadly)

1. Not That Andrew

So far the only good idea of Poetterings that I'm aware of is /etc/os-release . As someone said on another forum, he should stick to hacking text files.

2. t.est

Hmm, OSX is certified UNIX and it runs lauchd the very thing systemd wants to imitate.

1. h3

The Solaris SMF is the best it doesn't really have any downsides. (And you don't have to use it.)

1. MarkSitkowski

I agree.

I run Solaris and CentOS, which are the only things that work like real Unix.

I can port the same code from one to the other, without changing a single line, and the administration is almost identical.

If I wanted a desktop that looked like BillyWare, I'd run BillyWare or Ubuntu....

3. h4rm0ny

I totally agree with not going the systemd route. There are a number of really good arguments against it.

However, I also think it's a battle that has been lost. I respect those wanting to fork and good luck to those trying give systemd the shove - I'd be happy to be proven wrong. But Debian is just the latest distro to fall before it. CentOS and SuSE use it so now that main Debian has gone this way, it's pretty much got control of all the castles. Slackware and others may be beautiful distros, but these three have all the enterprise presence between them Ubuntu has reversed position on systemd too, so that's the newbie / casual demographic as well (that's not a criticism of Ubuntu - it's just the most accessible distro so favoured by large numbers of these crowds).

Everything else is just islands in the sea.

3. TimeMaster T

"Go for it"

Amen.

I've been with Debian 12 years, at home and work, but if they go to systemd I'll switch to any distro that doesn't have systemd. I've been looking at slackware but a Debian fork would be better. All my scripts would still work.

2. Denarius
    Thumb Up

about time

someone stood up to the barrage of theory idealists who disdain practical simplicity. Even KDE has become crap. I was afeared I may have to move to a BSD.

1. MadMike

systemd to incorporate a shell too!!!

Yes it is true, systemd will have it's own shell soon. Google this.

For the systemd, it is actually heavily inspired by Solaris SMF. Just as BTRFS is inspired by Solaris ZFS, systemtap is inspired by Solaris DTrace, Linux Docker/LX containers are inspired by Solaris Containers, Open vSwitch is inspired by Solaris Crossbow, etc.

SMF is useful in Solaris because it parallesizes startup and it also handles services that is to be running all the time. For instance, it takes 90minutes to boot a IBM P570 server because it boots sequentially, not in parallell. Solaris boots way faster thanks to SMF.

SMF and systemd is useful in large servers with many services and long boot times. They are useless in desktops. They are a server thing. Apparently, systemd failed in several important aspects copying from Solaris - why do you add a shell?? And systemtap is also a failed copy - it might crash the server!! DTrace is completely safe and can not crash the server. systemtap is therefore useless. systemd as well. BTRFS seems to have missed several aspects from ZFS too.

1. xenny

Re: systemd to incorporate a shell too!!!

To be contrarian, I can see an argument for systemd on a desktop, where I may reboot it often. I typically don't reboot servers frequently, so I'm unconcerned about a fast boot, but I value being able to debug the startup process of a broken server with a shell and a text editor, which I can do with sys V init scripts, but can't do with systemd.

1. t.est

Why would you not, we on Mac OS X can do that with launchd, and launhcd is what systemd tries to be.

Get out of the init cave already, OSX is did it in version 10.4 and 10.10 is out now, it's quite many years of proven functional UNIX yes not *nix.

2. Jim 59

Not sure systemd is a reflection of Solaris SMF. SMF is text file based, and would please the Debian elders in that regard. In accordance with unix philosophy, SMF is limited in scope, modular, constrained into one role and does that role transparently and (fairly) simply.

systemd is a windows-esque, monolithic, black box solution. ie. the opposite of Unix design. It is also p*sspoor by all accounts.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Gary Bickford

> "I've long gotten used to the fact that software is getting steadily worse, and it's mostly down to crappy design decisions, rather than poor coding. "

Oliver, you'll be interested to note that as far back as the early 1980s it was recognized that given a good software engineering process, over 70% of all bugs were built in to the original design.

To make things worse, IIRC only 20% of bugs in production release code could be found by "black box" testing. The other 80% are the bugs that are found by the users in the field.

Source - this data was from published analyses done on enterprise and government/defense code bases - I used to teach a SW QA workshop.

3. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Get off the Kool-Aid, kiddo. Might kill ya someday.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Or they could just do what long-bearded hippies have always done...

root@slackware:/# setup

4. MacroRodent
    Go

So fork, then

What's the big deal? Freedom to go your own way is one of the great things about free software.

In this case it is a good thing, as it sets a nice experiment about which approach is better. Let the best init win!

Personally I have never liked sysv init much with its huge pile of little shell scripts sequenced by a funny naming rule. The systemd can hardly be worse. Haven't used it much yet, but it appears to be well-documented, and brings up my personal OpenSuse spin snappily. Investigations continue...

1. Raumkraut

Re: So fork, then

Personally I have never liked sysv init much with its huge pile of little shell scripts sequenced by a funny naming rule. The systemd can hardly be worse. Haven't used it much yet, but it appears to be well-documented, and brings up my personal OpenSuse spin snappily.

Ah, you've fallen into the same trap as Debian did. You've mistaken systemd for a sysvinit replacement. It's not. It's a replacement for just about the entire operating system stack (the clue is in the name). Where currently the argument is about "GNU/Linux", it may soon be better phrased "systemd/Linux".

The fear is that once you adopt systemd, it will be unreasonably difficult to replace it with anything better in the future, thanks to its all-encompassing nature, and the encouragement of *explicit* dependencies by user-facing software. There's no reason why the Gnome DE should strictly require one particular init system, but it does.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Spot on Raumkraut.

There's also the little detail that the permission tree in systemd ("the user doesn't own the process, each process owns its children") is making a fragging permission mess very quickly which means that after a while you have to run a whole lot of shit as root, à la Windows pre-RT, or reboot to clean the mess up.

Systemd is a toy, not a proper tool. I say burn it. Burn it with fire.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ahh yeah, sysvinit was fine until Debian devs came along and broke out all those tiny scripts and symlinks in order to build a service configurator GUI that real sysadmins never bother with. All that needless indirection was enough to keep me away from Debian for 10+ years. ArchLinux is a breath of fresh are but unfortunately way too bleeding edge for me; package updates usually break things. So I use Debian-stable because it's relatively stable and doesn't force me to use dbus, pulseaudio, etc.

Dependency hell is my biggest fear with systemd. If there are dependencies like nginx>systemd>dbus that's a problem. Every unnecessary daemon is just wasting resources and opening up gaping security holes. Yup, there was a big one in dbus a couple months go...

I really don't care about all these efforts to improve Linux/*nix. It'll never be a good OS for desktops, servers, phones, drones, or anything. NEVER. I just make do with it until something better comes along.

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

http://www.muylinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/funny-systemd.gif

4. Chika

I agree with that, mostly because I fell into the same trap years ago with openSUSE 12.2 (12.1 was a waste of time as systemd was so buggy on that version and replacing it with sysvinit was the only solution). Since then systemd has crept like a huge slug-like creature into so many parts of the system including a mid-release change in oS 12.3 which killed a number of applications without notice. To this day I still keep 11.4, the last version of openSUSE not to have systemd in it and a bloody good version IMHO going in various places and may well do so beyond the death of its Evergreen support demise seven months hence rather than Poettering about with the broken dross I see more recently.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

"Haven't used it much yet"

And there is your problem.

You really know that it's not the right approach when you find your first system that either does not complete the boot process, or even worse, sometimes does but sometimes does not.

You then have this impenetrable black hole to try and debug, which may "appear to be well-documented", but does not tell you what is happening.

Once you've seen it, the "huge pile of little shell scripts" is easy in comparison. The naming convention is only funny if you don't understand how the shell performs globbing.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Cipher
      FAIL

You probably liked Poettering's Pulse Audio as well, correct? How many years did it take good coders to fix that clusterfuck?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> You probably liked Poettering's Pulse Audio as well, correct? How many years did it take good coders to fix that clusterfuck?

We're still counting. The fucking thing still does not work properly.

The problem however is not Poettering with his (on the face of it) good ideas and (in all evidence) incompetent and careless execution. The problem are those who listen to him and end up packaging up his stuff in our distros.

As someone has said above, it would appear (and I say appear because I haven't met him in person) that this young man still has a lot to learn, especially from the many mistakes the rest of us have done in the past.

As for systemd itself, it went alright on the workstations it's been running for about five months. Then I upgraded a couple servers recently... and then the Scheiße hit der Ventilator. Not a happy customer here. :(

2. Chika

How many years did it take good coders to fix that clusterfuck?

You mean they fixed it?!? I normally switch it off for the sake of my own sanity at least.

3. FatGerman

You probably liked Poettering's Pulse Audio as well, correct? How many years did it take good coders to fix that clusterfuck?

Very pertinent point I think. Pulseaudio was, in theory, fantastic. It had all sorts of things that were very good and very useful. It was one of the things that made me decide I could realistically use a Linux desktop - It was about making Linux easier for the desktop users.

Unfortunately it was implemented so badly, by someone with no apparent ability to listen or take suggestions, and was so frequently broken that in the end it was one of the main reasons I shelled out for a Mac.

Good ideas poorly implemented and largely untested seems to be the story of Pulseaudio and possibly systemd, but then it seems to be the entire Gnome (and KDE for that matter) philosophy these days. I blame the parents.

4. wayward4now

Thank you. Systemd has been on my machines since it was announced for Debian Jessie. I'm liking it. I sure don't see sweating bullets over it as wheezy sysv has a long shelf life ahead of it.

5. Denarius
      WTF?

@MacRodent: What pile of scripts ? usually a few in /etc/init.d with links to start/stop/do_something in the appropriate /etc/rc[0-5].d directories. What is hard about simple scripts that can stop, start,reload a specifc set of binaries ? On some servers with a lot of dependancies spawning shells to run scripts can have a brief high load. Which is why Debian has dash shell, small, fast, light to do start/stop with minimal load and even less attack surface. Replace this well understood set of design and process with binary blobs controlling a black box with a huge attack surface. Pity OpenSolaris is dead. Later releases looked OK, even if I prefer btrfs to ZFS.

5. Long John Brass

Some good ideas in systemd ... but

I really don't like the one large monolithic monster app approach

I also miss being able to just tweak an init script to make it do what I want

I'd be willing to give that up if the flexibilty was provided some other way

Like many others I've only started looking at systemd

Like a new Doctor Who, I'm not sure if I'm going to like it or not, time will I guess tell

6. Mad Chaz

the "fun" part about systemd

Is how much it wants to do. Explain to me why an init system needs (yes, it's required) an http server running?

Systemd is basically trying to take over the entire software stack. The attitude of the devs speaks volumes about this too. You find a lot of gems in the kernel mailing lists. The Gentoo Linux forum as been rather alive about this topic, as the maintainers of the distribution refuse to make systemd the default (it's an option, but not default) and a lot of the users agree with the choice.

Systemd is a lot like the windows registry. Lots of binary blobs you can't read or fix if things go wrong. Most linux users would rather the system took 10 more seconds to boot and be sure they can fix it if something goes wrong. It's not like we reboot our machines all the time.

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: the "fun" part about systemd

Well, I have noticed that since I set up a couple of systems on Jessie and systemd I wind up booting them a lot more often than the Wheezy ones that still use sysv. I'm not sure whether to blame that on the slight instability that goes with a testing release or on systemd. The do seem a bit more unstable than my past experience given the announced freeze date of 5 Nov, only two weeks from now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Again - if you want to install Gnome under Gentoo then systemd is the default, and really the only way to install it without doing some serious mucking around under the hood. To just say "systemd is not the default on Gentoo" kind of twists that fact.

1. Mad Chaz

You make it sound like installing gnome is a must. If you want gnome, yea, you are stuck with systemd. That's systemd and gnome's fault, not gentoo. A lot of people who run gentoo are also likely to use something else then gnome (if they have a GUI) and the default installation manual still recommends using openRC.

3. MacroRodent

"It's not like we reboot our machines all the time."

Servers, no. But PCs and laptops do get booted, because they are turned off. Some people claim they are capable of "suspending", but I have found it far too often results in a crash or odd behaviour (like wlan connection not getting restored) when the machine is supposed to wake up, no matter if it is is running Linux or Windows. So now I don't even bother to try, and use a proper shutdown.

I have come to the conclusion that suspending works reliably only in systems where the computer and OS have been designed together with power management in mind, as is the case with smartphones and pads.

1. Mario Becroft
        WTF?

Not sure where you got that idea from. I hadn't rebooted my laptop (running Gentoo Linux) in more than a year, until last week when I had to shut it down to upgrade the RAM. I'm not sure why anyone would choose to shut down their laptop when they could just close the lid and suspend, open lid and continue working where they left off. If your wlan connection fails after suspend maybe your system is misconfigured?

Back on topic, I loathe systemd. Alas, it's in RHEL 7 so I now have to deal with it in Enterprise environments. That said, it has spread its tentacles far wider since the version in RHEL 7, which essentially just functions as a poor init replacement. I suppose I should be thankful for small blessings.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Headmaster

I'm not sure why anyone would choose to shut down their laptop when they could just close the lid and suspend, open lid and continue working where they left off.

Autism.

Ever upgrade the kernel?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Ever upgrade the kernel?

Yes, of course. Then I carefully overwrite whichever bits of memory from the old kernel need overwriting.

:)

2. NumptyScrub

quote: "I'm not sure why anyone would choose to shut down their laptop when they could just close the lid and suspend, open lid and continue working where they left off."

I have a low-power Mint box that stays on 24/7 and only gets rebooted for updates and upgrades, but everything else spends more time unused than used, so it gets shut down. The standby power draw for 18 hours out of 24 equates to more inconvenience for me (in the form of electricity bills) than the inconvenience of an extra 10 second wait while the machine boots.

YMMV, of course, as everyone weights inconvenience differently. As long as you are aware that a laptop on standby is still discharging the battery (at a reduced rate) and act accordingly, then it is entirely your choice to use standby instead of shutting it down.

Tangential aside: almost every laptop I pull off the shelf at work for a rebuild is discharged, so I suspect most people at work also use standby in preference to a shutdown, and return laptops in a suspended state. If they were shut down they shouldn't be flat inside of a week of storage ^^;

1. frank ly

@Numpty Scrub Re: the "fun" part about systemd

Why do you reboot after an update? I thought that wasn't needed with Linux generally. My MINT system never asks me to reboot after an update and I've seen no documentation or advice anywhere to say that I should.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like