back to article Son of Hudl: Tesco flogs new Atom-powered 8.3-inch Android tablet

Retailer own-brand tablets are unholy piles of rubbish, right? Usually, yes. But last year’s Tesco Hudl rather bucked the trend. While there was nothing individually outstanding about Tesco’s first tablet, it had a good HD screen, a decent Rockchip CPU, a more-than-adequate battery life and was well glued together. For £129 …

Page:

1. JDX Gold badge

Stock Android (almost)

That's very cool news.

1. Cliff

Re: Stock Android (almost)

Give it a Cudl ;)

2. ThomH

Re: Stock Android (almost)

With the glut of cheap very-similar tablets, I'd rate stock, Google Services enabled Android as one of the most important features.

2. JDX Gold badge

There’s no official word from Tesco on the weight of the Hudl 2

Then weigh it yourself you lazy git. Don't you have the Scales app on your iPhone 6 (just put stuff on top of the phone and the pressure sensors are used to measure the weight)

1. Rob Thorley
      Thumb Up

Re: There’s no official word from Tesco on the weight of the Hudl 2

I literally laughed out loud. Thank you.

2. John Arthur
      Facepalm

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl2-8-wi-fi-tablet/454-7907.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=397-7926

So it's 410 grams. How hard was that?

But you get an upvote anyway.

1. Al Taylor

Hmm...that drop down spec list wasn't there when I wrote the review.

3. Adam 1

>Don't you have the Scales app on your iPhone 6

Cool. Didn't know about that trick. Awesome. Off to weigh my Bagger 288.

3. psychonaut

"There’s no official word from Tesco on the weight of the Hudl 2"

yes its a real mystery. i wonder how you could have worked it out?

edit: jdx just beat me to it!!

4. Caustic Soda

"Will hove into view". Hove is the past participle of heave, or a rather up-itself suburb of Brighton.

1. future research

If he meant the suburb of Brighton, he would have stated "Hove actually".

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Hove Is All Around Us

1. Stig2k

I've never been in love. But I have been in Hove. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

As The Beatles said, All You Need is Hove.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"All You Need is Hove."

You'll be giving our Merkin friends some bad ideas about how Hove is pronounced locally. Then again, could things get any worse, given the mangled enunciation that Google Maps routinely offers?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Hove actually?

It's pronounced "f**king Brighton"

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: Hove actually?

So according to Google Maps that'll be:

Faarrrkkin Brig-tun

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Hove Is!

It's not brown bread, yet.

5. FunkyEric

Hmmmm

I wonder how many tescos vouchers I have accrued this year? I have the original HUDL (cost me 10 quid plus vouchers and a £20 off electrical items offer) this time last year and use it on the train, but the battery life is dreadful.

1. I Like Heckling Silver badge

Re: Hmmmm

I also have a Hudl, cost me about £50 after I doubled up some vouchers, battery life is reasonable and I've had no complaints with it at all over the last 12 months. It can be a little slow at times and the wifi can be a little flaky when the signal is weak... But aside from that it's been excellent value for money.

I'm very tempted to get the Hudl2, I noticed the original hudl had dropped to just £79 and was considering getting one for my mum this xmas. She would find it handy for reading and shopping and she doesn't need the best on the market... Then I figured I might just get the new one for myself and give her my old one instead.

If the new one is as good as the reviews suggest I'll get one, but I'm annoyed by the fact that tesco have doubled the price of a proper leather case for this one over the old one. Pushing the price of the tablet and case to £155. My vouchers are a little light this year, and if I double them I've only got about £70 towards it.

1. Pedigree-Pete

@ I like heckling.

Tight git. Buy your Mum a proper Christmas prezzie.

(I like heckling, Oh! irony).

1. Adam 1

Stay classy Pete.

6. The BigYin

Rootable

Can it be rooted/jailbroken? I wonder if there is a new ROM for it.....

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Rootable

I wonder if there is a new ROM for it.....

The article tends to imply that there is no ROM for improvement :)

Anyway being pedantic if it has a ROM you're stuck with what you're given ;)

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The Intel ones generally can't be rooted.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes and no.

Apparently, it is a good way to root _YOU_. Once you are done with it that is. At least the original Hudl1 is in that category.

If memory serves me right, the original one is one of the tablets reported as "factory wipe/erase personal data does not work". You can wipe it fully only with external software. So if it ends up in the wrong hands and if you really did some shopping with it (or access anything with more valuable passwords)...

7. handle

"The microSD slot at the bottom is open to the elements."

Then put a micro SD card in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The microSD slot at the bottom is open to the elements."

From where can I get one,

Dear @Handle, dear @Handle?

Dear @Handle, from where?

1. Cliff

_RICH_ - made me giggle this morning thank you

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Dear @Handle, dear @Handle?

Dear @Handle, from where?

From Tesco dear R-C-H, dear R-C-H, dear R-C-H,

From Tesco dear R-C-H,

Dear R-C-H. Tesco.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@I ain't Spartacus Re: "The microSD slot at the bottom is open to the elements."

But how do I get there?

Dear @I ain't Spartacus , dear @I ain't Spartacus

But how do I get there

@I ain't Spartacus, but how?

1. handle

Re: @I ain't Spartacus "The microSD slot at the bottom is open to the elements."

On your Vanmoof Electrified Bike, dear AC, dear AC

On your Vanmoof Electrified Bike, having charged it from the AC

2. paulc

or get a case that covers the slot like I did.

8. Ryan Clark

FFS

Just got my daughter a Hudl two weeks ago for her birthday. Only cost £40 with some vouchers, but if I had known this was just around the corner I might have waited a fortnight.

1. ukgnome

Re: FFS

If you contact those nice customer service types they might just let you take it back.

Shy baines get nay broth

2. Roger Greenwood

If she's anything like my daughter it will be broken (dropped) soon enough and need replacing by Christmas. There's another problem solved!

1. Ryan Clark

She managed to make the cheap chinese tablet we bought her last nearly two years. We got the hudl as the chinese tablet performance was really not fair on her any more. Whereas my son broke his first tablet within 3 months (broken screen) and his second (which he bought with his own money) did slightly better at 9months.

9. Return To Sender

Cheap enough

Hmm. Big/hi res enough and cheap enough (especially with Clubcard) for me to finally get hold of the tablet I keep thinking would be handy for the workshop manuals in the garage...

1. kmac499

Re: Cheap enough

Then pick up a Veho Azuro Soundbar ( Bluetooth and FM radio built in) for about £70 if you shop around will give you Spotify,Listen Again or just straight FM radio in the workshop..

1. Return To Sender

@kmac499 - nice idea, but I'm ahead of the game already. Got the hi-fi set up in the garage, there's an old desktop mini-PC for the 'net feeds, WiFi router with a wired connection back to the house network, DAB/FM radio connected to the amp and a floating 3.5mm cable for the occasional MP3 player / whatever connection. Oh, and a dartboard. Also now have a spare DVD player at the moment, just need to persuade the commander in chief that we need to upgrade the house telly so's I can retire the current one to the garage. Not going so well on that front though.

Sometimes I even work on my motor vehicles in there...

Happy

Sometimes I even work on my motor vehicles in there...

Have you considered installing a bar in there, instead?

1. Return To Sender

I have a mini fridge to keep the beer cold (or the soft drinks when I actually need to keep a clear head). A bar would take up just a little too much space to be able to maintain the impression of it being a working space and not a hideaway...

2. Why not OTP?

Or alternatively, don't. This is my comment on the Veho: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3GNCI5EZGDYYJ/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00K5Q7H46&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=560798&store=electronics

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The T button

The T button on the old one is really annoying. The number of times I accidentally touched it while playing games drove me mad.

Then I discovered the branded user interface service that was running. Disable that and the button is gone, but everything else is fine. No rooting required.

If the new button only appears in the launcher screen, I can live with that and there'll be no need to hack anything.

11. Pen-y-gors

Nice, but why...

...does every manufacturer insist on installing bloatware that can't be uninstalled? Okay, as the article says, it's not a problem for space in this case, but it's clutter.

I wouldn't mind them installing their own junk, but why oh why can't we please be allowed to remove it? We can uninstall bloatware in Windows, we can remove garage stickers from car rear windows, why can't we remove the stuff we don't want in Android? Why does Android even have a 'make this uninstallable' option?

[Parrticulary pissed off as my aging Sony Experia Arc with 512MB is now getting VERY full, even though I have very few apps installed - but the updates keep getting bigger, and I'm not allowed to uninstall some crap games and FB to make room - and I can't be arsed to go through the faff of rooting it]

1. Anonymous Bullard
      Thumb Up

Re: Nice, but why...

I got the first hudl last year. For the price + specs + build quality + double clubcard vouchers; in this case, a bit of crapware is forgiveable - it's what makes it cheap. You're basically getting paid ~£100 to remove the crap.

Compare it to a chinese knock-off on ebay, or crapware on a full priced tablet.

2. batfastad

This is exactly the reason the first thing I do is dump the manufacturer's Android and stick on CyanogenMod. It means I get total consistency across devices, rather than some options on one and other options on another.

Hopefully manufacturers (+ operators) are starting to realise that their "value added" sh*t is actually costing them a huge amount of good favour and potentially money.

This looks great... a worthy replacement for my 7" Ainol Fire (snigger)

1. Down not across

This looks great... a worthy replacement for my 7" Ainol Fire (snigger)

Does Ainol still have the amusing slogan "Enjoy life. Enjoy Ainol" ?

1. David Gosnell

> Does Ainol still have the amusing slogan "Enjoy life. Enjoy Ainol" ?

And a logo like a cat's anus?

3. auburnman

It's so the bloatware is always in your face when you're on the tablet. Every time someone less technical than a Reg reader sees the icon, there's a chance they'll go "Oh, what's this?" and fire it up without realising it's a hook for someone who wants your money. Or you could be trying to buy the latest Patsy Cline album and suddenly find your favourite Goongle muzak player cannot connect to servers. You really want that album today though, and look, there appears to be a ChamChung muzak app already on your phone...

Basically the bloatware is always there to maximise chances of preying on a moment of weakness.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like