back to article Worst. Comic. Book. Ever. Marvell's Chipman defeated by France in another patent battle

Marvell Semiconductor must reach into its pockets once again, having lost another patent-infringement lawsuit. This time around, the victor was France Telecom, which sued Marvell in 2012 for infringing its patent on certain error-correction algorithms used in CDMA wireless networking, which licensed under the goofy name Turbo …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is it a fact that algorithmica and mathematics (i.e. true statements about invariants) still cannot be protected in the EU, so we see a Yuropean company making hay off this in the US, which indicates that said company would support the protection of such reified elements of discourse in the EU in a heartbeat?

1. Tom Samplonius

"...so we see a Yuropean company making hay off this in the US, which indicates that said company would support the protection of such reified elements of discourse in the EU in a heartbeat?"

Probably. And given that France Telecom is still partially owned by the french gov't, I assume the gov't would support a US style patent system too.

2. Mage Silver badge

Oh dear

US still upholding nonsense patents.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh dear

Yes and no but I wasn't surprised to hear that a US jury didn't sign off on the 10 million against a French firm!

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: Oh dear

"Yes and no but I wasn't surprised to hear that a US jury didn't sign off on the 10 million against a French firm!"

Marvel is a US firm, so they didn't sign off on $10 million against a a US firm. And the suit was brought by a French firm.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CHIPMAN

Not only did France defeat him, i hear that Dr Cod 'Battered' him as well.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: CHIPMAN

Who's a Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey now?

1. Swarthy

Re: CHIPMAN

Still the French.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like