back to article Google: Hey kids, dump all your files over here with us!

Google said that it will be offering unlimited storage for students on its Apps for Education service. The Chocolate Factory announced via blog post that it would be rolling out a series of updates to the Apps for Education platform that will include unlimited storage for students with accounts on the service. The company …

1. Ole Juul

Google likes students

Get them young and they can build some juicy personal profiles. I guess the grooming period is over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google likes students

*rolls eyes*

Perhaps you should stick only to companies who don't profile their customers.

I hope you have a big garden.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps you should stick only to companies who don't profile their customers.

Well it would be nice to have the option...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps you should stick only to companies who don't profile their customers.

Exactly!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

we do

It's called "buy and manage your own storage".

Too much crap to stuff in an external drive? then like a closet, probably time to clean.

Plenty of excuses why you "have" to let someone else do what you don't want to, but no whining about security and data mining because making backups is "too much work".

2. Mark 85

Unlimited Storage?

Interesting concept. Just think of all the data mining they can do. Then when the student hits whatever the maximum age is, they can hit them with "fees". Yeah... I'm a bit cynical of their motives. Is it all about education or priming them for the Cloud and all the joy that entails?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. HMB

Not a one horse race

Other services already offer 50 Gb for free and even include client end encryption so there's less snooping. Google is convenient, but not the best.

I'd take Mega's 50 Gb indefinitely over Google's unlimited for a bit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a one horse race

Quality over quantity.

20GB of INTEGRATED storage is better for me that 50GB of standalone storage.

If I upload a document or picture to Google Drive, I can attach it to an email, and neither me (the sender) or the receiver has to ever download or upload anything.

1. stratofish
        Facepalm

> If I upload a document or picture to Google Drive, I can attach it to an email, and neither me (the sender) or the receiver has to ever download or upload anything.

Apart from you uploading it and you and/or the recipient(s) downloading it every time you open the mail you mean?

2. Ross K Silver badge
      Facepalm

Other services already offer 50 Gb for free and even include client end encryption so there's less snooping. Google is convenient, but not the best.

I'd take Mega's 50 Gb indefinitely over Google's unlimited for a bit.

I'd trust Kim Dotcom and his MEGA service about as far as I could throw him - which is not very far.

To trot out the often-used quote: "If you're not paying for the product, you are the product".

1. HMB

You've side stepped the issue that Mega is a paid for service after 50Gb and a certain amount of monthly transfer.

Sure you could trust no one, like in the X-Files, but:

1) So you wont be using cloud storage at all then?

2) If Mega does get caught betraying it's users, the business and the political capital that Kim Dotcom is working to build all goes down the toilet, along with the subscription users concerned about privacy too.

Fundamentally the percentage of us who have the skills *and* time to review code to ensure security is nominally 0%.

So what would you do? I presume you think Edward Snowden's idea of encouraging all developers to use encryption is pointless because we can't trust anyone.

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Tom Leher

When the shades of night are falling

Comes a fellow ev'ryone knows

It's the old dope peddler

Spreading joy wherever he goes

Every evening you will find him

Around our neighborhood

It's the old dope peddler

Doing well by doing good

He gives the kids free samples

Because he knows full well

That today's young innocent faces

Will be tomorrow's clientele

Tom Leher, "The Old Dope Peddler"

5. ratfox

Unlimited?

If I had such an unlimited account, I'd feel like testing how "unlimited" it really is… Like, 10PB of white noise coming up!

I suppose Google can count on upload speed limits to keep it reasonable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unlimited?

"Unlimited" is actually marketing speak - you usually find some "fair use" waffle in the T&Cs, and from what I have seen, the reality is that they calculate at 500GB per person to size the required storage pool.

What amuses me is that people see that as a sort of local hard disk. First of all, there are no statements about how safe this is (as it's with Google, "not at all" seems to be a good guess), secondly, have you ever tried to haul 500GB over the Net? That is a lot of data to haul (for most older laptops and PCs that's pretty much all the local storage).

No thanks. Not today, not tomorrow. And certainly not with a US based provider.

6. mrjohn

How long before the kids sublet the space?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"put an end to worries about storage limits..."

and your privacy concerns, my precioussssss

Also a Jack Nicolson scene in the Shining (come little piggies.. here's Johnny)

8. T. F. M. Reader

5TB files? Seriously?

I guess it's a good solution for encrypted off-dorms backups of 5TB disks. Oh, wait, how long will it take to upload it?

9. raving angry loony

Homework

In other news, Google has announced a homework completion service, Google Homework. By data mining the information provided by all these students, Google Homework can finish your homework for you by copying the most likely answers from others at your and other schools.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A USA provider? Wise?

The USA claims a right to see all data on USA firms' servers. This is being extended, pending the Microsoft Irish server affair, to servers anywhere in the world if any USA ownership can be established.

So they want students' data. Once a student is a customer, he or she is likely to stay a customer, including during a PhD or Masters course when the data may become much more interesting if the project involves research, industry and so on. Later, when working for a living, data from the student is likely to find its way onto his "cloud" service. At the same time, various official bodies in various countries are demanding the right to see data to protect us.

Also, imagine you are in the last few days of finishing your thesis and the deadline is coming fast and, oh no, the cloud service or network is down or suddenly too slow to be useful - will you have any come-back for the costly loss of service?

No, if one really feels the need to use such a service, at least choose one from a supplier and servers from a country with some idea of privacy and not subject to the USA (difficult). But, best of all, take responsibility for your own data, with backups. If you use universitz or school storage, make sure they have not passed it off to some USA network storage.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like the pic

I'm guessing Admiral Ackbar is not saying "engage the enemy more closely"

12. Psyx
    Thumb Up

It's a TRAP!

Great choice of icon there, El Reg. Tells us everything we need to know!

13. wolfetone Silver badge

Grooming.

I consider this an offence. Arrest Google immediately.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like