back to article Windows 10: One for the suits, right Microsoft? Or so one THOUGHT

Microsoft is courting corporate types with the newest version of its operating system, Windows 10. START MENU - Windows 10 preview The new Start menu mixes elements similar Windows 7 with live tiles from Windows 8. Redmond previewed an early build of the next Windows at a press event in San Francisco. The update, which …

Page:

1. Alan Bourke

The 'sanity at last' release.

Who thought the Metro UI on servers was a good idea. This looks like a Touch UI where appropriate, or where the user wants to use it, and a traditional desktop alternative as an equal citizen, and hopefully all the startup speed and other benefits of Windows 8. Lovely.

Nice to see the prompt getting some love too, although I think I'll still be using Cmder.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: The 'sanity at last' release.

In other words: What Win8 should have been (and what users wanted) all along. See, Microsoft? that wasn't so hard, after all, now was it.

(Although it does demonstrate once again, that Micros~1 can't get anything right until it takes three whacks at it...)

1. Tyrion

>> See, Microsoft? that wasn't so hard, after all, now was it.

Microsoft never does anything for 'users', only for itself. In the case of Metro, it thought it could foist its fisher price touch UI onto its desktop monopoly in the hopes of imposing familiarity and luring mobile users into the platform. It didn't work. That's the problem with having OEM monopolies. Companies like Microsoft can do what it likes without consequences because no one challenges it. The sooner the desktop market dies the better.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Why didn't they go to "11"?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm still puzzled at why they want the same code-base running on tablets as well as laptops/desktops. I'd have thought they proved by now that it's not advisable. Same OS on tablet and phone, yes, but not desktop and tablet. I think Apple at least has that right even if there is a mergin of features.

4. kb
      Thumb Up

I'm running it on a 2011 AMD netbook which is the weakest thing I have, the logic being that if it runs good there it'll run good anywhere...the verdict? Faster than Windows 7,even with all drivers running in compatibility mode, and the few ideas left from Win 8 like the live tiles on the right of the start menu are optional, completely under user control, and by default are things users might actually find useful like the weather.

While I thought Win 8 was garbage this is really nice and if the price is right I could easily see myself upgrading most of my systems. Its just a shame it no longer has DVD maker or I'd upgrade all but I have yet to find a program that works as well as DVD maker when it comes to making home movie DVDs.

2. Flugal

"but do users actually want live tiles on their Windows desktop?".

I'm sure some do, perhaps even the majority, but this user does not. Icons seem to be an effective alternative.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tiles should replace icons fully - everywhere.

Microsoft should replace icons with tiles fully. I would like to have tiles which can be resized and can look like simple icons (but yet display some info) when "minimized", or display more information when set at different sizes.

Why not having a mail or messagin app tile showing you incoming messages? Why not tiles informing you about an application running tasks and status? Why not an "icon" whose info displayed can be customized?

Icons are a relic of the past, when computers struggled to display simple bitmaps fast enough. Now even the less powerful graphic cards has no issue with simple 2D graphics - it's time to make app access "icons" something more that static bitmaps...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Tiles should replace icons fully - everywhere.

look forward to that in 30.11.

been there, done that.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Why not having a mail or messagin app tile showing you incoming messages? Why not tiles informing you about an application running tasks and status? Why not an "icon" whose info displayed can be customized?

Why not just let me get on with my fucking work?

1. N2

Agreed,

The less irritating distractions the better.

3. Tom 35

How often do you sit staring at your desktop? The Mail tile on my surface RT is useless as when you don't have any email, it shows you old mail. Flash, flash, flash arg! I turned them all off except news.

No one wanted Active Desktop.

No one wanted Gadgets in Vista/7 with the exception of maybe a weather app or clock. Even MS abandoned them saying not to use them as they were unsafe.

No one wants live tiles.

1. Metrognome

@ Tom 35: I beg to differ. There are tiles that are useful.

Weather, stock tickers, RSS headlines, music players, all sorts of other widgets.

Depending on how free you are to customise them and get them to do what the user wants they can be valuable.

And more generally, any fundamentalist opinion which pre-supposes that all users like or dislike a feature make me sceptical.

1. hammarbtyp

Desktop definition

Something I see when I am starting and shutting down my PC

2. Lyndon Hills 1
            Joke

I think a tile showing fundamentalist opinions will be illegal, should the Tories win next May.

3. GX5000

Yeah.........."useful"

Looks like I'll stick to Linux and WIn7+VMware

2. kb
          Happy

I take it you never tried CPUMeter and NetMeter gadgets as they are great for keeping an eye on the system and seeing when an app is sucking more CPU/RAM/Bandwidth than it should.

Luckly for us that like gadgets they work just fine in Windows 8-10 thanks to 8GadgetPack, it even comes bundled with the most popular ones like the above and adding any previous gadget is "clicky clicky" simple.

I do find it funny that so many would rag on gadgets while advocating Linux, while damned near every Linux desktop screenshot usually had gadgets like CPUMeter and NetMeter running.

4. DaLo

Maybe most business users don't stare at their desktop to see 'important' information. The notification panel that has been around a fair while can update you with anything important, but most of the time people in work (at least the places I have worked) rarely see the desktop, they have their actual work open on the PC whether that be the Internet, e-mail, Word, or proper applications.

Even starting up the PC jumps straight to the corporate intranet and starts up e-mail in many places.

Windows introduced Gadgets a while back and I never found them that useful, Live tiles are almost the same in that context but less useful.

On a phone or possibly even a tablet a quick glance at the 'desktop' to see if there are any new notifications or updates works okay. On a PC, especially a business PC it doesn't. That is the issue with Microsoft especially with Windows 8, they never actually thought how a user actually uses a PC different to a phone and tablet, especially for business user who aren't obsessed with social updates.

In fact the OS really doesn't matter much to most business users (not including tech departments) at all. It's all about the software and applications that people have to run to do their job, they just want the OS to allow that as simple as possible and a simple menu with about 10 programs supports that quite well. Learning to use a radically new OS just to do the same work is definitely not a positive.

[Edit: I see after I posted that Tom 35 has the same opinion]

1. JonP
          Coat

If Microsoft were clever they'd offer you the choice of tiles or icons or make each instance configurable so you could have tiles for some things and icons for others.

Just saying.

1. alwarming
            Trollface

I see I see the El Reg has an Edit feature. Cool.

Edit: Sorry for the pointless post.

Edit: Should I just withdraw it ?

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Not quite. Microsoft could offer the facility of tiles as a free download, which would let people opt for it on its own merit, rather than having the edifice shoved down their throats.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Spot on Dat.o

As much as I like the live tiles on my personal Winphone a desktop is where staff find their work. The OS is there to hold that stuff. That's what users need it to do. As unobtrusively as possible.

We care about the toolkit, not the toolbox.

Most users would be happy with Win 3.11 if it could support the 21stC hard/software. (And most probably don't use many more features than we had with Word for Windows 6,)

5. Alan Edwards

> Why not having a mail or messagin app tile (on the desktop)

> showing you incoming messages?

Because the window containing what you're actually working on will be in front of it, unless you have a 3rd (4th etc) monitor just to display the desktop tiles.

You're probably better to use a Windows tablet for that.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Great, only my tablet wont be running Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Great, only my tablet wont be running Windows."

I'm sure Microsoft will eventually have an upgrade to Windows option for your tablet too.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You're probably better to use a Windows tablet for that."

I find it better to use a phone mit Blinkenlicht for notifications. If it looks important I can open the mail client, otherwise send a quick reply without having to move anything on the desktop.

I don't need a third gadget.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I find it better to use a phone mit Blinkenlicht"

Did something fall on your keyboard?

6. WP7Mango

"Microsoft should replace icons with tiles fully. I would like to have tiles which can be resized and can look like simple icons (but yet display some info) when "minimized", or display more information when set at different sizes."

You can already do this in Windows 8.1. Tiles can be resized, and the smallest size is a simple small icon. And if you want it to be static instead of displaying live data, then you can do that too!

In Windows 10, apps appear as normal icons in the Start menu. You can optionally drag them to the Live area of the Start menu where they become resizable Live Tiles.

And yes, the mail app tile (for example) already shows you different incoming messages depending on the size of the tile, or just a number when it's minimised to it's smallest icon to indicate the number of new messages. Other app tiles also show you tasks and status etc. It sounds to me like you haven't even used Windows 8.1.

7. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Microsoft should replace icons with tiles fully. I would like to have tiles which can be resized and can look like simple icons (but yet display some info)

We have had dynamic desktop icons for twenty years or so--I believe Windows also has them. For more dynamism, you may want to take a look at what we call that Plasmoids in KDE, which are essentially interactive desktop icon-like things. They are also supported in Apple computers and, I believe, in Windows (e.g., Google Widgets?).

However, I admit that even having written Plasmoids myself, I don't find them particularly useful aside from some limited use cases (e.g., weather).

My point is that you seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel.

1. king of foo

So... Choice = good. New start menu gives me the choice to use either the familiar or the new, and to remove the new if I don't like it. Logical.

Happy bunnies all round. Now... don't stop there MS, you're on a roll! The next update to MS Office 2007+ should let us choose to use the ribbon or return to using menus... and why not allow live tile fans to add some of them to the ribbon too? And have the ribbon as a sidebar if we want? And nuke it if we want.

8. Roland6 Silver badge

>Why not having a mail or messagin app tile showing you incoming messages? Why not tiles informing you about an application running tasks and status? Why not an "icon" whose info displayed can be customized?

That's what the notifications area is for.

Some contradiction here:

"Microsoft should replace icons with tiles fully. I would like to have tiles which ... can look like simple icons ... Icons are a relic of the past..."

So when I first log on what should all the various icons on my desk display, given that at this time the system is idle? I don't need the Word icon flashing up all my recent documents. Yes it might be nice to be able to right click on a desktop icon and immediately see a list of recent documents, but that is very different to having lots of icons simply shouting "look at me".

2. Khaptain Silver badge

This is something that I really do not understand either, the desktop is meant to be representative of our real-world physical desks. These tiles do not represent anything on my desk, they are not a natural evolution of anything that I currently use or require. They appear to be a solution looking for a problem rather than a functional fullfulment of particular requirement.

The tiles, in my personal oopinion are distractions, I wouldn't want a 5 ou 6 little whirly gig things, or flashing lights on my real desktop, so why would I want these.

The tiles are geared at the consumer rather than the worker. ie they are counter-productive and generally of very little added value for business.

Edit : After clicking submit I saw LDSs comment above, interesting to see the 2 opposing views..

1. Alien8n
        Alien

I can see the benefits in both scenarios, but once you're running any application the benefits of a "tiled" desktop disappears straight away. More useful would be the ability to attach fixed size "tiles" to the task bar (there's more than enough room now with the bigger taskbar real estate) for various applications. Such as email notifications or even status alerts (I'd love a status alert for the servers to see how they're running).

Also at home I run some gaming servers, so some sort of application displaying network lag, users logged in etc would be useful there. But as you say, for the majority of people this would be fairly useless. How many people actually missed them when MS removed widgets?

1. P. Lee

>More useful would be the ability to attach fixed size "tiles" to the task bar

Like, er, KDE plasma widgets? Nice to see you can cut and paste text in a text window too. Well done MS!

I see lots of holy war fodder fun in the report, but nothing that makes me want to spend money. Is this release is about: "Almost as good as Linux - please don't leave us!"? I'm not seeing the killer "upgrade from W7" difference.

2. Paul 135

this has existed for some time elsewhere...

KDE Plasma widgets. It's a superior implementation to anything MS has here. Widgets on the desktop or "panel" (takbar) as well as a "Widget Dashboard" view if you want to have quick access to them. I also think the complete widget-based desktop works well and like the flexibility and organisation that the "folder view" widgets add for file access.

2. Rob Gr

Personally, I find the idea that the best we can do with the capabilities of a computer is build representatives of our real-world physical desks. I'm absolutely in favour of building new interactions that surpass those.

Reminds me of Zuckerburgers vision for VR, which involved being to able to meet up with mates and watch a film, without actually meeting up with mates. Crap, and a total lack of imagination.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Crap, and a total lack of imagination."

Web 2.0 social media summarised in two phrases.

I would say "in a sentence" but some pedant would probably pop up and say there is no verb. (Though there is an implied one, like the implied verb to be in Russian.)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@flugal

"Icons seem to be an effective alternative."

Agreed; I think the big issue or question is if these live tiles will replace or extend the use of icons. As long as people are given a choice then I think its a welcome addition.

Keep in mind that MS also whacked the desktop "gadgets" in Windows 8, and some people actually used those too. For example; I have a weather & picture gadget on my desktop; one shows the current weather and the other random pictures which I got on my PC and some network storages.

4. Trigonoceps occipitalis

WTMP - not actually a word. We need a better acronym!

5. kb

If they can replace the Windows Gadgets? Heck yeah!

One of the best things that MSFT foolishly tossed was the Windows Gadgets, it was VERY handy to have everything from CPU load to network usage in one easy spot along the right side of the screen...now if these new tiles can take that place so that merely clicking on the start button gives me CPU/RAM/Network usage data any time I want it then why not?

I'll be finding out this weekend when I have the time to slap it on my netbook which I figure will be the perfect place to test Win 10, because if it kicks butt on an AMD Bobcat dual with a 5400 RPM drive? Then it'll fly on my desktops.

3. Anonymous Blowhard
    WTF?

What about Windows 9?

Did they need to distance themselves from Windows 8 that much?

1. Elmer Phud

Re: What about Windows 9?

Maybe they didn't want people to go:

"Windows? Nien!"

1. Fihart

What about Aston Martin DB8 ? Went straight from DB7 to DB9.

Perhaps to avoid a model which became known as the "Deviate" and jokes from Clarkson if it ran wide on corners.

1. Steven Raith

Or because DB8 is confusing to read.

Which seems more likely....

1. Fihart

Re: What about Windows 9? @Steven Raith

According to Wiki, Aston Martin named their car the DB9 instead of DB8 in case it seemed it was only available with a V8 -- and as they felt the 9 indicated that it was not an evolution from the 7 but a new design.

1. Steven Raith

Re: What about Windows 9? @Steven Raith

Fihart, interesting!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's in a lab somewhere running IPv5.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows 8 or Windows 10

Dong or Poop

All four still smell up the place

4. markusgarvey
      Devil

YES!!!

5. DustyP

Maybe MS are following the lead of Corel and Adobe and it will be called Windows X

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like