back to article Emma Watson should 'shut up, all this abuse is her own fault'

What should you do when a mature and sensible website like The Register (stop that sniggering at the back) offers you an anonymous commenting option? Why, abuse it flagrantly to blame the victim, of course! First, though, before the tidal wave of infuriated outrage clicking the headline reaches the Reg reader in question and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. i like crisps

MAGNA CARTA

Although you (The Reg) might not agree with this persons comments, i'm sure you would defend their right to say them......Free Speech? Tim's been talking about this kind of thing today.

1. Vociferous

Re: MAGNA CARTA

Presumably yes, as they didn't delete the comments and even repeated them in this article.

Ridiculing stupidity is not against free speech, and the people criticizing Watson for being an uppity woman richly deserve ridicule.

2. Steven Raith

It's quite astounding how many people bang on about freedom of speech, without realising what it actually entails.

Steven R

3. SoaG

Re: Free Speech?

Well, let's see, they could have deleted the post from their privately owned website but chose not to. What was your point?

1. breakfast Silver badge

Perhaps they felt it might be more effective for the poster to discover that in the judgement of the vast majority of their peers they are a ridiculous scrotewit clinging with slithy tenacity to repugnant opinions that bring nothing of worth to any discussion and serve no purpose beyond making them look like a tiresome, self-entitled, plank-faced tosswizard.

1. Wommit

Oh for goodness sake Breakfast, stop beating about the bush and SAY WHAT YOU MEAN.

4. AndrueC Silver badge
      FAIL

i'm sure you would defend their right to say them......Free Speech

Free speech is about interactions between citizens and government. The Register is a privately owned site and is entitled to edit and censor anything that is posted here. Free speech is irrelevant when discussing their editorial policy and how they deal with commentards.

P.S. I wub El Reg :D

1. AndyS

Free speech is about interactions between citizens and government...

...in the narrow legal interpritation of one specific 200+ year old foreign document. Which isn't really relevant in this discussion about a website censoring comments.

Which, as others have already noted, the Reg hasn't done.

2. David 66

Mobile? Really?

Most things prefixed with 'mobile' are too large to fit in a pocket. In fact, they're too large to carry. And they often have their own propulsion systems.

Mobile HQ - check

Mobile Dentist -check

Mobile Library -check

Mobile Hospital -cehck

Mobile phone -ORLY?

There's a word for things you can carry. Carryable. But no, I mean 'portable'.

1. Rafikibob

Re: Mobile? Really?

Nobody in the world would agree that a mobile phone is mobile provided it is possible to be moved by any means.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So a Bakelite 60s handset in a 30 tonne articulated lorry, equipped with long leads with crocodile clips on them is a mobile phone?

Whoda thunk it?

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

I know a mobile dentist, and I can assure you that although he likes a pie or two, he's perfectly capable of moving himself around without assistance from an internal combustion engine. He's even man-portable, should you happen to roll that way, although you'd need a pretty heroic tailor to define him as pocket size.

He also bends in half at far less than 90lb pressure...

3. AsherGoldbergstein
    Mushroom

Victim blaming, Feminism and diversity... It's fun watching The Register transition into a SJW cesspool.

1. Vociferous

Not as fun as it is to see MRA turds from 4chan/reddit make fools of themselves in public.

MRA is the new plague on the net, after paultards. And not incidentally it's mostly the same people.

1. Martin0641

MRA

Is just the system responding to feminists, because humanism is the proper path, and the better things get for any historically abused subgroup the less valid their cheer leading for a particular subset will become. Might as well start on the egalitarian path before it becomes cool.

2. Craigness

Men should not have rights...

...say the anti-MRA crowd.

Shut up about women being nearly 60% of graduates. Shut up about there not actually being a wage gap (different pay for the same work). Shut up about the gender bias in conviction rates (more convictions for the same crime) and in sentencing (longer sentences for the same crime). Shut up about MGM and the UN's programme of genital mutilation. Just shut up about it all, because women are oppressed and men are privileged.

1. Vociferous

Re: Men should not have rights...

The above is what MRA actually believes, except you forgot to mention that all rape accusations are false.

Men: poor oppressed minority persecuted by the evil matriarchate.

1. Craigness

@vociferous I didn't "forget" that, I didn't mention it because it's not true, and MRAs do not think it's true. However some good research has shown that 40% is a far better estimate than 2%, which anti-men's-rights people use. The 2% figure was an anecdote from an area of New York, and is not statistically significant. Much higher figures have been reported by the military and certain police jurisdictions in studies where false claims were positively identified (not just where the truth was not established, as anti-men's-rights people claim).

Men are not persecuted in every area of life, and nor are women. But for both sexes there are areas where we suffer. Men in the west have more such areas than women, but everyone (including Emma Watson) ignores them (which is a type of oppression in itself). Anti-men's-rights people want to paint a picture of a society where everyone is either in the oppressor class or the oppressed class (inherited from Marxism and based on gender to create a permanent state of revolution), and a beautiful young woman worth £30 million who has a global podium at UN Women is in their "oppressed" class whereas a homeless man is privileged. So she gets attention and he gets nothing. If you want to call that matriarchy, fine. But let's just agree that it's a bad way of looking at the world if your goal is "equality" (we both know you have no interest in equality).

Why deny men equal rights? And when will Daniel Radcliffe speak up for men's rights at UN Men? Not for a long time, because men don't have representation at the UN.

1. Vociferous

> "Why deny men equal rights?"

My heart bleeds for you. Truly, you are an oppressed victim of feminism.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"MRA is the new plague on the net"

Oh, come ooooonnnnnn!!!!! I already have to keep washing my hands and using alcohol hand wipe every time I visit the hospital. Now you're saying I have to go through that every time I go on line? I'd better buy shares in hand cream moisturiser!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Listen to the caveman grunting, it's interesting to think that one day words and intellect will arise from that basic primitive action (or perhaps not).

3. itzman

SJW??

Wots SJW?

I may be too sexist and misogynistic to have heard of it?

1. Vociferous

Re: SJW??

"Wots SJW?"'

Social Justice Warrior. Basically anyone who's not MRA, but especially anyone who in any way sympathizes with any feminist cause whatsoever. Like, say, equal pay for equal work, or that women should be allowed to pilot fighter aircraft in combat.

"I may be too sexist and misogynistic to have heard of it?"

No, you're probably not sexist and misogynistic enough to have heard it. It's used by the kind of men who refer to themselves as "alfa males" and drone endlessly about how unfair it is that it's nearly only men who get convicted of rape. They hang out at Reddit and 4Chan if that kind of thing appeals to you.

4. CheesyTheClown

Who cares about Emma Watson?

Emma shower promise back when she was on her way to getting an education and doing something useful.

Now she's just a Hollywood airhead whining about being threatened with naked pictures. If she hadn't lost gray matter and just became a Hollywood useless person, it might matter.

She is such a huge disappointment and I hope my daughter is never ever like her. My daughter will grow up to have a brain and use it. She grew up with a brain and let it rot. I'd be so disappointed if my little girl ever grows up to be a victim like her.

I love her as an actress but I have absolutely no use for her as a person.

1. Lallabalalla

Re: Who cares about Emma Watson?

That's funny - I thought she was self-conscious, stilted and wooden as an actress whose only real qualifications for the job were that she was a) available b) willing and c) looked like Hermione Granger, but now she's making a rather splendid grown-up who I hope will go far in the mould of say, Shirley Temple.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

....but please not STB's politics. I like to think that at least British actresses do tend more towards the middle of the road/soft left than the Right. Being rich, famous and thinking how lucky you are is so much more attractive than being rich, famous and full of entitlement.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The pictures were threatened to be published in response to her equality speech, not the other way round.

As for your daughter, you want to hope she's inherited her mother's intellect because she's not going to get far with yours.

1. Craigness

@anon. No, the threat was fake and was made with the intention of getting 4chan shut down. Does anyone care about that victim?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Complains about women crying victim and then procedes to cry victim.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" the threat was fake and was made with the intention of getting 4chan shut down. Does anyone care about that victim?

Dunno if victim would be quite the right word for it. Rantic's site got taken out on Friday; and more sanctions will probably be forthcoming.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/chan-attacks-socialvevo-and-ranticcom-the-group-behind-the-emma-watson-countdown/story-fnjwnj25-1227073194752

3. Triggerfish

A degree from an Ivy league university, delivering speeches to the UN and being worth 60 million by the age of twenty four, is disappointing? Your daughter must be in for a tough time.

4. dan1980

@CheesyTheClown

I don't know you or your daughter but I hope she grows up being able to explore all the facets of her personality

That means a fulfilling job she loves, learning about things that interest her and being able to stand up with conviction and promote those issues that matter to her.

If she could add a couple of million pounds onto that then all the better.

'Using your brain' is not all it's promoted to be. I'd rather have children who were happy and did what they loved rather than pursuing studies or a career simply because they didn't want to waste their brain.

Which is, of course, a ridiculous concept - that you can't put your intelligence to good use in all the factors of your life.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More naked selfishes for the the internets!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It sucks but..

If people don't want to be exposed to all and sundry the best way is to never, ever do selfies with anything other than designer clothing on.

If that means putting Blutak over the lens on laptop webcams or otherwise ensuring no hidden cameras (cough infrared strobe /cough) then this is a small price to pay.

Also worth mentioning, never use airport scanners as they are totally insecure and at least one TSA agent was sacked for uploading such pictures to teh interwebz via purloined SD card.

<Cough> Streisland effect </Cough>

1. Vociferous

Re: It sucks but..

You are

1) Blaming the victims.

2) Effectively stating that those with nothing to hide have nothing to fear.

3) Forgetting to mention that this is what airport scanner pictures look like.

1. Kaltern

Yup, according to that link, it's very secure indeed.

Maybe Apple could do something with that hotlinking tech... I dunno.

2. JEDIDIAH
        Devil

Nope, just acknowleding that there is no "security" for celebrities. Wealth and fame are directly proportional to the amount of interest and effort people will put into doing you harm. That's just the nature of the world. It's foolish to try and ingore.

You can either whine that the world should change to suit you personally or you can deal with things.

The masses benefit greatly from the ability to be anonymous.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Agreed. As long as you stay under the radar, you will be of little interest to many hackers and government spooks. Security through obscurity.

But as many of us in the I.T. world know, S.T.O. is really a poor long-term method for keeping things safe. Eventually, somebody is going to cast a really wide net just to see what they can catch. Anyone could become a victim.

Which brings us to victim blaming. The idealists in this world condemn the practice, suggesting that people shouldn't be forced to alter their behavior because of thugs and criminals. The realists in the world condone the practice, suggesting that people should use common sense in dangerous situations because there will always be thugs and criminals who are looking for any excuse to act.

I tend to walk the middle of the road in that debate. We shouldn't have to lock our doors at night. But I do so anyways because I know we'll never be able to stop all of the crooks in the world. Likewise, we should be able to upload compromising personal photos to any private location. But I keep mine in personal cold storage because we'll never be able to stop all of the hackers in the world. Maybe that'll change some day, but I'm not willing to risk it now.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: It sucks but..@toejam13

I tend to agree with you - wanting the world to be perfect is fine as a philosophy for action but usually impracticable in day to day affairs.

But I tend not to walk the middle of the road. I ought to have the freedom to do so because cars should avoid me. But many roads are narrow and most drivers are pretty clueless. So I stick to the pavement.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: It sucks but.. oopsie!

"3) Forgetting to mention that this is what airport scanner pictures look like."

Error 1011 Ray ID: 171253abffa50cc5

Access denied

What happened?

The owner of this website (consumertraveler.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource

4. AndyS

That site doesn't allow hotlinking, here is the link to the article with the image:

http://consumertraveler.com/today/would-full-body-scanners-have-stopped-the-christmas-bomber-probably-not/

5. Tom 13

1) I'm no longer buying the "you're blaming the victims" line of industrial grade crap. It's used as a license for people to be stupid or worse, entrap people who would otherwise not engage in questionable behavior. If you leave your door unlocked, you don't get to charge someone with brakting, only trespass and possibly theft. If you leave your car unlocked and it is stolen, the insurance company will refuse to pay you. Yes I'll hold the miscreant accountable for his actions when he's a miscreant. But I'll also hold the victim accountable for being stupid.

2) No, we're stating that if you don't have nude selfies, they can't leak. That's rather axiomatic. Doesn't mean someone won't photoshop up some crap. Truth of the matter is, on this side of the pond, photoshoping nudies was deemed protected speech by SCOTUS.

3) No, that's what the scanner vendors WANT you to think the pictures look like. As I recall, they dumbed down the software to make it acceptable. If you have the raw data and the good software, they can do a whole lot better.

7. jake Silver badge

Stop giving 4chan press.

If you feed the trolls, you get to keep them.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comments enabled on 'Comments of the week'?

What's this - are El Reg now turning into an episode of Gogglebox?

1. Ted Treen

Re: Comments enabled on 'Comments of the week'?

Nope, AC

The clue's in "...a mature and sensible website like The Register..."

El Reg has just discovered irony.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And if the CotW next week is a comment on this week's CotW, will it destroy the Internet?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, only if the comment is on next week's comment of the week, because, time travel.

9. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Teachable Moment?

In addition to all of the (justified) outrage that Ms Watson has produced, I don't think I've seen any advice given to the effect that one should be careful what one does with one's private photos, either on line or on hackable devices. Yes, there are creeps out there who will take advantage of some carelessly stored photography. Please make their job as tough as possible by securing this stuff.

10. eAbyss

The incessant use of the "word" "commentard" makes the author no better than the people he's attempting to criticize.

Can anyone tell me what the point behind this "article" is besides rehashing comments that would have otherwise been justly forgotten?

1. earlyjester

No, we are not telling you

first rule of commentard club is you don't talk about commentard club

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like