back to article Apple iPhone 6: Looking good, slim. AW... your battery died

When Apple released the first commercially available multi-touch phone in 2007, it had to decide how big it should be. And it got it right first time. Yet this year’s new models – the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus – both break that mould. The iPhone 6 Plus, which we review tomorrow, makes a feature of its bigness; but the …

Page:

1. Steve Knox
    Coat

Grammar!

As Sir Jonathan Ive mused on 2012’s iPhone 5...

Shouldn't that be "As Sir Jonathan, I've mused on 2012's iPhone 5..."?

; )

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't fret. The iPhone 6S will solve all these piddly issues.

Oh no, wait, it won't.

1. iphone 6

yes , i still wait for the iphone 6s ,it must be smart and amazing . all these problem will be solved out , i believe.to protect your iphone, case will be the best. http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-TPU-Case-Back-Cover-Colorful-Hard-Matte-for-Apple-IPhone-6-4-7-/371177934722?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

3. Tom Chiverton 1

Scan in my bank card ?!? *Whuh*.

In the rare occasions I'm in a shop who know what contactless payment is, and have a working reader, then my normal bank card works fine. Why would I want to flash a 600 quid phone ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Security

If you use Apple Pay, a one time code is sent to the merchant, so they don't have a re-usable credit card number stored as they will if you swipe your credit/debit card. They don't get your name, nor any sort of unique information at all that lets them know whether you're a first time customer or visit them daily.

So not only are you safe when the next Home Depot style breach hits (about one per month lately) you don't give their Big Data machine any personally identifying information.

But yes, you do have to whip out an expensive phone, so you might want to pass if you're in a dodgy neighborhood.

1. Captain Black

Re: Security

"they don't have a re-usable credit card number stored as they will if you swipe your credit/debit card. They don't get your name, nor any sort of unique information at all that lets them know whether you're a first time customer or visit them daily"

No, Apple get all that lovely info instead! and as any leading lady of the hunger games will tell you, Apple's security is top notch :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Captain Black

Apple has said they won't collect data on your purchases. If you choose to assume they're lying, that's up to you.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: If you choose to assume they're lying, that's up to you.

Given that a few weeks ago customers were begging Apple to delete the details of them buying sex apps from there purchase history so their friends/parents/kids/jealous partners...et al. didn't know they were normal humans after all. What chance is there that Apple aren't going to be collecting this too.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/04/teenagers_in_shamegasms_after_downloading_iphone_sitonmyfacetime_apps/

1. eAbyss

Re: If you choose to assume they're lying, that's up to you.

Apple collects the same information as Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc, they're just more quiet and less transparent about what they do.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: @Captain Black

"But I couldn't possibly comment."

Francis Urquhart

2. NormM

"No, Apple get all that lovely info instead! and as any leading lady of the hunger games will tell you, Apple's security is top notch :)"

Credit card info, like your fingerprints, never leaves the phone. And Apple security is by far the best. Quiz: Which company has no malware in their walled garden? And which company has almost all of its users on very recent versions of the OS, with all the latest security patches? Those various celebrity accounts were compromised over the course of years, by answering security questions to recover "lost passwords". If you use two-factor authentication, there's no way they could ever get to that point. And the reason most celebrity pictures were stolen from iPhones is because ... most celebrities use iPhones!

2. Vector
        FAIL

"So not only are you safe when the next Home Depot style breach hits (about one per month lately) you don't give their Big Data machine any personally identifying information."

Believe that at your own peril.

At some point, in order to complete the authorization, the card issuer has to connect that "one-time code" to an actual customer account. Since you can bet that your friendly merchant really likes their Big Data and can simply opt out of any POS system that doesn't get it to them eventually, they are probably going to get all that data in a summarized monthly statement from the issuers. Maybe not the card number itself, but just about everything else.

The other question this article brings to mind: Can you still use Apple Pay if your battery's flat?

1. jaduncan

You cannot use it with a flat battery, which is rather potentially exciting when one considers that the nominal user might need it to buy their ticket back home or a coffee/charge at a local shop. It just makes the smaller battery look questionable for reasons other than the obviously undesirable camera wobble.

1. Dazed and Confused

> exciting when one considers that the nominal user might need it to buy their ticket back home

But if you're battery is flat they won't let you on the plane and you'll probably be shot as a terrorist anyway. So by not letting you buy a ticket they're gonna save your life.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Vector

The merchant doesn't have power in this relationship, so they aren't going to get this, especially when they've demonstrated they can't be trusted to keep end user information safe.

As for what happens if your battery is flat - it won't work. Nor will Android NFC payments in a year when they've caught up and use the same one time codes required by the upcoming EMV standard (in the US at least)

1. Vector

@DougS Re: @Vector

"The merchant doesn't have power in this relationship, so they aren't going to get this"

The merchant's power lies in simply not adopting the system. No adoption=useless feature. I know that they've announced some support at the launch, but in the modern world, no data means no real advantage for the merchant, thus no motivation to adopt.

What is Apple's compelling case to the merchant that will overcome losing access to all that nifty marketing data? If they are. Which I very seriously doubt.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: @DougS @Vector

Just found a use for the NFC on my Nexus 7 - I can test that I've cut a long enough split in my credit card to stop contactless payment working.

2. Paw Bokenfohr

"The merchant's power lies in simply not adopting the system"

They certainly have that choice, but it has consequences - any merchant who does not make the switch (this is the US we're talking about - everywhere else in the western world already has, years ago) becomes liable for any fraudulent transactions which occur after the cut-off date.

And as we know from that experience in the rest of the world what happens is that fraud sharply falls off in the merchants which adopt and shifts over to those who haven't, which is why when your (European) credit card number is somehow stolen or cloned or generated by fraudsters it isn't USED in Europe, it can't be, it has to be used in places without these systems, hence the US or some Asian countries.

The same will happen in the US - those merchants who do not fall in line with what they payment processors are demanding will find themselves with an ever increasing share of the fraudulent transactions and will eventually (and by eventually, I don't mean in years, I mean in months) have to transition themselves or it will start to affect their bottom line, and that's something American shareholders will understand and ask questions of Management for.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

In the US, adoption is entirely controlled by merchants, and they hold a lot of power if they decide to band together.

Unlike Europe, where POS terminals are rented to merchants by the acquirers, US merchants have to purchase their point-of-sale equipment. Upgrading to newer technology means hitting merchants with a one-off cost, and historically, US merchants have resisted this.

Apple Pay is going to hit the same barriers. All the card issuers are hoping is that the Apple magic pixie dust will create so much customer whining that the merchants will be forced to purchase new EMV-compliant NFC terminals.

The interesting thing about this is that, despite what Apple says, Apple Pay isn't a proprietary system - it's a brand-name for Apple's implementation of the payment industry's EMVCo specification. (see this summary of how Apple Pay and EMVCo are related: http://www.aviso.io/apple-pay-brings-new-problems-acquirers/ )

There's no reason to assume that Apple Pay will be more secure than NFC cards (NFC cards might be spoofable, but on the other hand Apple Pay is, running on a general-purpose computer OS, one that relies on its AppStore as a gatekeeper for malware). The existing NFC system doesn't send your card details to anywhere, and the tokens it produces are not re-usable. This has been the case since Chip+PIN, but for the reasons outlined above, the USA has had tol skip that generation of technology completely.

There's also another problem with attaching card and phone like this. Now, your phone gets stolen, you've lost use of your card too. Same goes when the iPhone's battery life leaves you stranded (the 6 has done nothing to improve iPhones' lousy battery performance). If you're going to have to carry a credit card anyway, why bother with Apple Pay?

It's a door-opener for NFC payment in the USA, certainly, but it's not a lock-in for Apple. Apple will do their damnedest to make people think that it's a lock-in, but the card companies won that round - which is good for customers. The idea that you'd need to purchase an $800 phone just to have safer card payments is unpleasant on many levels, and would have done nothing to solve the very real problem of card fraud in the USA

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

@Kristian Walsh

Merchants will have to go out of their way not to support Apple Pay. In the US retailers are being forced to be EMV compliant just over a year from now. Those that aren't will be penalized with higher transaction fees. Apple Pay is the first fully EMV compliant payment solution out there, so any retailer who adopts EMV will automatically support Apple Pay. They pay the same fee either way (the bank is eating Apple's 0.15%) so why should they care?

Apple Pay is more secure than NFC in the US because it hasn't been passing tokens, it has been passing the actual card number. NFC outside the US was more mature and already had the security the US will finally be getting with EMV.

I agree it is not a lock-in for Apple, and I don't see anywhere that Apple is claiming that it is. It is more the people assuming "oh, it is Apple so of course they've created a proprietary system". Apple is merely claiming you can use your iPhone 6 to buy stuff in a more secure way, which is true. Currently it is the only way to do so except for the small number of people who might have early EMV cards (not sure if those are being distributed yet or not) but it is standards based so an iPhone owner can choose to use their EMV card instead of their phone and it works the same.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

the merchant gets a payment method which is much more secure than simple magnetic card swipe, and given the merchant is often held liable for fraud by the card issuers, the 0.15% fee to Apple is likely to be more than offset by the reduction in fraud.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@AC 0.15% fee

The banks are eating the 0.15% fee, not the merchants. The merchants rate won't change, but as they will have reduced fraudulent charges they're forced to eat, they win.

The banks also win, because the reason they're willing to accept 0.15% less is due to a reduction in their own costs for fraud (issuing new cards, fraud detection infrastructure, more CSRs to deal with customers calling in about fraud, etc.) Presumably by more than 0.15%, or they wouldn't have agreed to it. They also get the first fully compliant EMV implementation out there, so they can begin pushing that harder.

Apple wins, because they get 0.15%. That's a tiny drop in the bucket for them, even if Apple Pay eventually carries billions in transactions per year, but it compensates them for "first mover" advantage in being the first to see NFC as a way to benefit the consumer by making payments more secure, instead of merely a way to take a cut (like the carriers) or "hey look at me, I can buy stuff with my phone in a way that's actually less secure than when I buy stuff with my card" (previous adoptions of NFC payments on phones)

So everyone wins, except the fraudsters.

4. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> What is Apple's compelling case to the merchant that will overcome losing access to all that nifty marketing data?

I imagine something like:

1. Our customers are reasonably affluent consumers who are persuaded by slick marketing to pay premium prices for products that are in many respects not as good as their less expensive competitors. In other words, our customers are the sort of high margin people that you want to attract into your business with this complimentary "we welcome Apple Pay here" sign.

2. Our customers can pay using their phones. They like to do this, coz we've made it look cool and it gives them warm, fuzzy feelings of living in some sort of scifi future. They choose to make purchases in stores where they can do this, and avoid stores where they can't (look, we have some research to prove it!). Moreover, x% of our customers no longer carry any other means of payment.

3. If you don't support this technology, you can't reach our affluent high-margin easily-susceptible customers - but your competitors will. You'll lose.

4. Besides, who said you need to lose access to that marketing data? By becoming an Apple Approved Retail Partner (only £250k per annum registration fee, plus an additional 0.5% per transaction), we'll furnish you with all the data you want.

2. eAbyss

Re: @Vector

Nice try.

All of Android's NFC payments are made through 1st and 3rd party apps. Unlike Apple they won't have to re-write the OS in order to support other standards, just the apps. Many apps can already read the EMV standard. Once EMV catches on all apps will move to fully cover the standard.

3. h4rm0ny

>>"They don't get your name, nor any sort of unique information at all that lets them know whether you're a first time customer or visit them daily."

Is that confirmed / reference? Not disagreeing, just this is very interesting if true and I would like to confirm.

2. string

why...

> Why would I want to flash a 600 quid phone ?

Why else did you buy it in the first place?

3. ThomH

@Tom Chiverton 1

Because your American bank account still doesn't even give you a card with a chip in it, let alone one with NFC? I don't know why the American banks have ignored the technology until now but many of the retailers have got the terminals. If Apple really are getting 0.015% per transaction then it sounds like an easy, essentially free way to generate revenue for them.

1. eAbyss

Re: @Tom Chiverton 1

"Because your American bank account still doesn't even give you a card with a chip in it, let alone one with NFC? I don't know why the American banks have ignored the technology until now but many of the retailers have got the terminals. If Apple really are getting 0.015% per transaction then it sounds like an easy, essentially free way to generate revenue for them."

Because passive NFC (the kind found in ID cards, a few bank cards, the store's anti-theft tags, etc) is insecure and can be captured by anyone passing by with a NFC reader. Active NFC on the other hand (the kind found in cell phones and other powered devices) is far more secure. The main problem with passive NFC is that it's always on which means that you're broadcasting your info at all times to anyone with the proper equipment but active NFC gets around this problem by requiring user input before communicating.

4. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

I'm trying very hard to give a shit

and failing miserably

1. 45RPM Silver badge

Re: I'm trying very hard to give a shit

Laxatives. That's what you need. Laxatives and a copy of Autotrader.

1. h4rm0ny

>>"Laxatives. That's what you need. Laxatives and a copy of Autotrader."

It might be more expensive than Autotrader, but I would really personally recommend you spring for a roll of Andrex instead.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Inventor. Don't worry, your actually doing just fine. You managed to write a whole comment proving you do actually do give more of a shit than you let on. With a bit of therapy to putting you in touch with your true inner feelings you might even be able to admit you want one!

3. h4rm0ny

>>"and failing miserably"

I realize where I've been going wrong all this time now. I had thought this was a forum for people who were enthusiastic about technology, but it's actually a place for people to complain about it. Both sorts of forum discuss tech though, so it was easy to mistake one for the other.

Much becomes clear!

1. NotWorkAdmin

Isn't that the point though? Apple and it's fanboys have cried "innovation" above all else and there simply doesn't appear to be any in their new doohickey.

1. eAbyss

"Isn't that the point though? Apple and it's fanboys have cried "innovation" above all else and there simply doesn't appear to be any in their new doohickey."

There hasn't been much in the line of innovation in Apple devices for years now and each generation is less innovative and more behind the times than the last. Apple now simply takes someone else's innovation, slaps their name on it and calls it innovative. I think Apple's last true innovation was Siri and that was quickly surpassed by Google's Google Now and now even Microsoft's Cortana.

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

@ h4rm0ny

Funnily enough, far from being totally jaundiced, I do have a quick look now and then to see if there is really anything I am missing, just in case I have somehow overlooked an improvement on sliced bread. Based on what I have seen so far, both in terms of the phone and the price, I am still failing to get anywhere near defecation mode

5. Irony Deficient

I know of one who’s returned his iPhone 6 already. And yes, I said “his”.

But did you mean an epicene “his”, or a masculine “his”?

6. James 100

So thin it's thick

I do wish they'd easy up on the anorexia: an extra millimetre of thickness would both remove the camera protrusion and enhance the battery life, at the cost of an extra few drops of LiIon gunk in the box. Will you find a single person who thinks the iPhone is too *thick*? I doubt it: just those like me who think it's a bit too thin.

1. NeilPost

Re: So thin it's thick

... after all most get stuck in a case of some sort anyway.

7. tin 2

They should do an iphone phat for people that don't mind trading phone bulk for a massive pile of mAH. Now they've started the trend with 2 different sizes and the 5s/5c living on, why not?

Also the base models need to be far less anorexic with the flash, and the bumps should be FAR cheaper - how much is 16gb of flash these days to apple anyway? $2?

1. The First Dave

While we are at it, perhaps we can persuade Ford (et al) to charge the same price for a 6l engine as for a 1.25l engine - after all it has the exact same number of components...

1. eAbyss

"While we are at it, perhaps we can persuade Ford (et al) to charge the same price for a 6l engine as for a 1.25l engine - after all it has the exact same number of components..."

False equivalency.

More accurately it would be like Ford charging you $40,000 for a 6l engine when it only cost them $800.

2. thomas newton

ah, but this is special Apple flash. worth every penny.

well, it must be, surely, otherwise wouldn't that mean they were just ripping everyone off?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Battery Life

I recently downgraded my Samsung GTE1170 to a Nokia 515 after being found unworthy of keeping the GTE1170 on my person any longer.

I could talk endlessly about how amazing the GTE1170 really is and how most mortals will just have to accept something like an IPhone S6 however I will instead just limit myself to talking about the battery life.

Both the GTE1170 and the Nokia 515 (The closest replacement I could find) have a similar battery life of about 14 days in the real world. However in reality the 515 leaves me massively disappointed in this department. The difference is in how the 515 leaves me feeling. After about 10 days the GTE1170 was telling me it was down to 1 bar. From experience I knew I had at least 3 days left. I could talk on one bar for hours and hours on end and not worry about the battery running out. Day 12 would come and it might drop to zero bars and yet I'd still have TWO WHOLE DAYS LEFT! If I reached day 13 or beyond and the phone did finally give up I truly felt it had given me everything it had. (Kind of like that dude that dies with all the arrows in him in LOTR). When it finally gave in I felt like I had betrayed the phone for not giving it more juice desspite of all it's warnings. This is the way it should be.

Now compare this to the 515. It gets to day 13 and the battery drops to 1 bar and then it di-

All Phone manufacturers should take note here. Increasing battery life is only going to get you so far. It's about how it uses those bars that counts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery Life @Mr ChriZ

Your battery life lasts that long because you have no friends to phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery Life @Mr ChriZ

Thanks AC... like you if I had any friends then I wouldn't be sat here on the reg commenting about phones..

1. Steve Todd

The Nokia phones are doing almost nothing

While they are in standby. A smart phone is, at the very least, fetching emails and running other background tasks. It's the fact that you are using the phone continually throughout the day that kills the battery, as would spending the day talking on the Nokia.

2. Timmay

Re: Battery Life

What the fuck is a GTE1170???

After a quick internet search, I think you should consider the following:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/444874673/icups-the-ultimate-ironic-accessory

Infinite battery life - much better than your Samsung GTE1170 and Nokia 515 - and about as much functionality.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Why is it some people are so insanely angry about the idea of a telephone just being a telephone?

1. Timmay

> Why is it some people are so insanely angry about the idea of a telephone just being a telephone?

Insanely angry is a bit melodramatic, but anyway; because people keep coming into stories about pocket sized but virtually fully fledged computers - commonly known as "smartphones" - and writing sneery comments about how an old fashioned brick of a telephone which could do nothing but make calls and send texts lasts twenty times longer on a charge.

Well, duh, no shit.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like