back to article Every billionaire needs a PANZER TANK, right? STOP THERE, Paul Allen

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has launched legal action against a firm he has accused of failing to properly sell him a World War II German panzer tank. Don't worry, Allen hasn't gone all tinfoil hat and decided to start a militia. He merely wants to buy a rare German tank for the collection of the Flying Heritage Collection …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know where there's one you can buy

My grandfather used to drive round in one of those, I can tell you exactly where it is, though it might need a little work, a little welding here and there and the permission of The Ukraine Goverment to remove it from a field near Kiev.

It's also going cheap.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I know where there's one you can buy

It's probably been repurposed. After all the rebels drove a Josef Stalin 2 off its pedestal in Donetsk, one wonders how that is possible, the motor must have been blown a long time ago. Or maybe it was just for "our side's" propaganda purposes because the lettering "TO KIEV!!" was still very visible, striking fear in freedom lovers everywhere.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Now that's NOT how you sell them! Try this:

"Panzer IV, cherished by its elderly German owner and always garaged when possible. Longest trips were to church (St Basil's, Moscow, then heading home to Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche, Berlin). Forced sale owing to property boundary dispute so seller eager! Buyer must collect"

See? Gone in a blitz!

1. VinceH

"Gone in a blitz!"

Nice. It's a shame, though, that you weren't replying to someone called Craig - because then you could have said:

"See? Gone in a blitz, Craig."

1. Steve Evans

Can't help being reminded of Topgear's VW advert...

Clarkson at his least political correct... :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTXK8YiCzk

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you tell Allen I think it will take care of everything... can't see any government in East Europe say no in front of a pile of cash.

1. fanboi #451

Well, it works well for Western Europeans as well ... look at Minecraft.

4. rototype

It's next to the Brooklyn Bridge, offers anyone?

5. Fluffy Bunny
      Angel

"It's also going cheap"

Which is strange, because they usually go vroom, vroom, bang!

2. Anomalous Cowshed

Mamaaaaaa!

An American billionaire crisis in one act, by William A. Cowshed, the unsung playwright of the Internet in the early 21st Century

[Paul] Mama, I want that tank! Gimme that tank!

[Paul, repeating himself several times] Mamaaaa, I want the tank! I want the tank! I want the taaaaaaaank!!!! Waaaaaaa!

[Papa, trying to watch the baseball game] Darling, take some of this cash and go get him that tank, for heaven's sake, I can't concentrate!

Mama grabs a wad of cash and pops to talk to the owner of the tank. The owner is cheeky. He says Paul can have the tank, then changes his mind. Probably because he wants more cash.

[Paul] Mamaaaaaa! Papaaaaaa! I want my taaaaaaaaank! Waaaaaaa!

[Mama] Don't worry, we will get you another tank!

[Paul] No I want this one!

[Paul] Waaaaaaa! Waaaaaa!

[Papa] That's it, I'm going to sue that tank owner for disrupting my baseball watching!

1. dan1980

Re: Mamaaaaaa!

You do realise that he is using his own money (or so it seems) to purchase a rare piece of military history so he can donate it to a museum where it will be preserved for future generations, right?

I mean, I know he earned his riches purveying software that many dislike but preserving our history is an admirable goal.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Whilst I do agree with you, it does seem that this purchase is of a tank already in a (US) collection, rather than quietly rotting in some forgotten barn/field in Europe.

2. Uffish

Well, there's admirable goals and there's admirable goals - I have a preference for Gates' admirable goals if we're talking about Microsoft founder philanthropy.

The main point of the article, and the Mamaaa! coment, is just a little schadenfreude at a panzer buyer's expense, maybe not admirable but certainly fun.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Probably cheaper to drop the "historicity" and have one built from original plans.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Wouldn't be possible. The plans are all in metric.

It's like a foreign language I tells ya...

Expecting a Hitler skit about "THOSE PLANS ARE ALL IN METRIC!" soon.

4. gregthecanuck
    Trollface

It's going off the tracks...

Crank's tank bank bid shoots blanks thanks to skanky wanks.

5. Triggerfish

Allen's firm alleged it had not received the panzer.

That must have been some conversation with the post office.

"Did you check and see the neighbours haven't got it? Maybe he tucked it behind the bins..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Allen's firm alleged it had not received the panzer.

Has he checked over the fence to see if UPS have lobbed it over the back gate?

1. Vanir

UPS are investigating how many drones it needs to deliver / drop it. May be an opportunity for some unemployed storks.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe it was sent with MyHermes, in which case I'd check that it's not in his wheelie bin.

(Yes, I know someone who really had a parcel left in their bin. Thankfully not on the day the council empty it).

1. wikkity

MyHermes once claimed to have left a parcel at my front door, not surprisingly it wasn't there when I got home from work. A friend also had a parcel left at the backdoor when they lived in a flat that only had a front door, I that was city link though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Only the other day I had an Amazon delivery which was left with a Mr Brown next door (according to the email I received)... Except there is no Mr Brown in my road, let alone the old boy next door who's been there over 30 years.

Instead the package was found on the door step when I arrived home shortly afterwards.

Unfortunately for the delivery guy, I have CCTV... Some lovely footage has gone off to Amazon.

2. Kris Akabusi

Happened to me as well although they did leave a card saying that they had left it in the recycle paper bin.

3. Sureo

Its due to be delivered by Amazon's drone but it can't get it off the ground.

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Headmaster

Pedantry alert

Given that "Panzer" (short for "Panzer Kampfwagen") is German for tank, Panzer tank sounds a bit over the top. I bit like river Avon, actually.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Pedantry alert

Could be worse; they could have asked for their PIN number to get the cash out.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Hans 1
      Headmaster

>Given that "Panzer" (short for "Panzer Kampfwagen") is German for tank [...]

Given that "Panzer" (short for "Panzerkampfwagen") is German for tank

So, jetzt wissen alle, wie man das schreibt.

Bitte!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Vielen dank!

3. bharq
      Coat

Pedants beware!

Panzer = armour

Kampf = combat

Wagen = vehicle

so Panzerkampfwagen = tank

and Panzer tank = armoured tank - so while somewhat pleonastic, it's by no means two words with the same meaning.

Nothing attracts pedantry like an error in a pedantic post...

At least I hope the River Avon tasted good when you bit it!

That Panzerregenmantel is mine, thanks.

1. MyffyW Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: Pedants beware!

Avon takes it's name from the Welsh Afan.

And in Welsh river is afon.

So you have the Afon Afan.

None of which have any relation to Kerr Avon, one time scourge of the Terran Federation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There is a hill in South Wales called Mynydd Pen Bre (think about it). And there is a street in Kentucky called College Street Road.

1. Steve Aubrey

That would, obviously, be the road that goes from here to College Street.

It isn't hard - it's just logic and parsing.

2. Dick

AVON is German for telephone directory

AVON ist die Abkürzung für Amtliches Verzeichnis der Ortsnetzkennzahlen

Whatever happens, don't mention the tank!

AVON ist die Abkürzung für Amtliches Verzeichnis der Ortsnetzkennzahlen

Du nimmst das Pissen, Hans!

2. Radbruch1929

> That Panzerregenmantel is mine, thanks.

Tents are outside. Please excuse the inconvenience.

3. BlartVersenwaldIII
        Pint

Corrections to German grammar aside, thumbs up simply for dovetailing in "pleonastic", a much underused, underappreciated and undervalued word. You're also now my number 8 google hit for Panzerregenmantel :)

4. big_D Silver badge

That was my first thought as well Michael, a tank tank. Is that like the Ikea Book Book?

5. NogginTheNog
      Coat

I bit like river Avon, actually.

Except that if you just say "Avon" there's a sizable number of the membership here who'll think you're referring to a late 70s leather-clad sci-fi character of ambiguous loyalties.

1. dan1980

Am I the only one whose tired eyes and brain saw the letters resolve to 'pantswagen'?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Patched Out

That puts a whole new spin ...

...on the slogan from a well known American cosmetics company: "Ding, dong, Avon calling!"

7. Sequin

Flying Heritage museum? It'll take a big engine to get a Panzer off the ground!

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

It's *got* a big engine.

What it's lacking is wings.

1. Sequin

Re: It's *got* a big engine.

You don't need wings to fly - if you push something fast enough. Big as the panzer's engine might be, I don't think it's big enough to get it up to liftoff speed. Wings would help, and they could try what Hannibal Smith and the A Team did in the (awful) movie - firing the big gun for a bit of Newtonian action/reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8W6_0UcQWA

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
          Coat

"You don't need wings to fly - if you push something fast enough."

Yeah..it's not exactly rocket science is it? Errr...hang on...

2. Brian Souder 1

"What it's lacking is wings."

Like this design:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img840/6789/experimentalspecial3kur.jpg

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: Neil Barnes Re: It's *got* a big engine.

"What it's lacking is wings." The early versions of the Mk IV had the Me321 glider, but I think that maxed out at 24 tons.

8. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Picking the nit...

"feared the world over"? The IV? While not bad, it was hardly a scourge, even with the later gun upgrade. Good, solid MBFT, sure, but a bit outclassed later in the war.

I think it's more the V (Panther) and VI (Tiger) and their variations you're thinking of. Those would far more likely raise an "oh shit" from those on the receiving end.

I suppose Mr. Allen is doing a Pokemon (gotta collect them all) and already has those in his stable?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like