back to article Moto 360 wristputer batt boob, elderly internals revealed in teardown

iFixit's teardown of Motorola's Moto 360 smartwatch has raised eyebrows after revealing a seemingly smaller-than-advertised battery and some very aged components. Moto 360 battery Can't fit 320mHa on there? Er, use a smaller font, maybe? The team took apart the new Android-powered smartwatch and found that the battery, …

1. ratfox

I guess making an easy to repair watch must be harder than an easy to repair phone.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Repair?! That's just crazy commie socialeest talk!

This ain't, er, Russia, buddy!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me?

Or do some of the surface mount components to the right of the CPU look a little skewed?

Slap-dash PCB production much?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Is it just me?

When you crank out stuff like, well, any other plastic crap, these things are bound to happen.

2. the spectacularly refined chap

Slap-dash PCB production much?

No, it's par for the course with SMD production - components can move around a little during soldering since they are briefly floating on liquid metal. The extent to which it is noticeable depends on the component and the geometry of both the pin and the pad. It's a feature of SMD manufacture generally, it just gets more noticeable when magnified several times.

1. LosD

It's more than that. Look at the SMD resistor to the left of the chip: It's so far off that it's now on the next components pad. This unit is probably not functioning properly anymore.

It could be from iFixit's heating of the smartwatch to get the glue loose, but that would be pretty aggressive heating.

1. markw:

Perhaps those parts are decoupling caps and the device tested OK — but may throw up glitches in certain circumstances?

2. rob1n

The image there is after they've removed the memory chip from on top of the processor, so presumably more extreme heating (i.e. desoldering) was required for that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The image there is after they've removed the memory chip from on top of the processor, so presumably more extreme heating (i.e. desoldering) was required for that.

Ahh, forgot TI's love for stacking chips on top of each other. The blast of a hot air gun would be enough to dislodge neighbouring components.

This would explain a lot. I was looking at those components and thinking, How is this thing even operable? BGAs are fussy beasts when it comes to alignment and one chip looked way off as did the discrete components (not sure if they're caps or resistors).

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Blimey, the PCB layout team earned its money.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

1st class work from iFixit

Not so first class work from Motorola?

4. MyffyW Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

300mAh?

I don't think I could be arsed to charge it.

Think I'll stick with a watch that goes "tick-tock" and my phone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like