back to article Apple's big bang: iPhone 6, ANOTHER iPhone 6 Plus and WATCH OUT

After an eternity of hype, Apple has finally confirmed at a bash in Cupertino, California, two new iPhones, a smartwatch and a mobile payment system. The 4.7in iPhone 6 with an A8 processor. $199 for 16GB, $299 for 64GB, and $399 for 128GB, with a two-year contract. The 5.5in iPhone 6 Plus. Costs $100 more. Both mobes out on …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple announcements restricted to Apple owners?

It's a company-wide disease. I thought they had learned after iTunes.

OK. I'll pass.

1. Timmay

Re: Apple announcements restricted to Apple owners?

Not only "Apple owners" - didn't even work via Firefox on my work-supplied MacBook, had to use *spit* Safari

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Well I don't know what I've changed but Safari doesn't work for me either.

Oh dear.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Megaphone

I can hear Steve Jobs screaming "That #$%ing Watch is too thick. The interface needs work. It's too damned complex and who the hell picked those bands."

I suppose it's OK if it's a fashion item rather than an electronic device. As the missus would say, "These shoes are really uncomfortable, but they look cute."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Owners who don't care about prices?

Neat trick to omit giving actual prices in keynote, only mentioning promotion deals as part of very expensive carrier contracts. Poor journalism to quote this verbatim without commenting on the $2000+ contracts involved or actual retail prices.

Which range from 16Gb entry level £539 to 128Gb with larger screen £789. Including VAT. According to apple.co.uk.

2. Annoyed Grunt

Would be able to watch if the stream didn't keep failing and the presenters weren't over shadowed by a loud Chinese ladies voice!

1. W.O.Frobozz

What, the big screen behind Jobs Jr started playing that "HAHAHA AMERICA" video from youtube? Somehow that would be fitting.

3. smartypants

Apple Marketing misses a beat.

I thought I'd check the apple website:

Oh dear:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.b3ff4317.1410284331.7237be64

WHERE IS MY PRECIOUS?

1. Simon Harris

Re: Apple Marketing misses a beat.

Isn't it standard form at Apple to take parts of their website offline during their product announcements?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple announces wind up watch for fatties

LOL. Get out and buy it fanbois

5. Only me!
    Coffee/keyboard

Well I never

New bigger phone ....check

New even bigger phone .....check

NFC......how 2010

Watch.......still trying to solve a problem that is not there.

GOLD.......wow I did wonder why these things cost so much.

Case........grab a piece of that market £££££

Well time to all go mad and buy the things.........

Wake me up when September comes.......hang on I might be on to something there.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well I never

NFC......how 2010

Yeah and a lot of people are still waiting for it to take off. I've got it on my Galaxy S4 don't have an app that can use it, so can't make a payment with it. All the implementations of it in the UK and on phones at the minute are so half baked it is unbelievable. At least this will be a kick up the arse to other companies and will be a good thing in the long run as more places will now be willing to install payment scanners

1. eSeM

Bollox, I have been using EE's CashOnTap almost every day for the past year without any problems whatsoever.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah on EE, but not everyone is on EE

2. Vehlin

I've used it and it's half baked, you have to top it up (minimum amount £20) and it acts like a credit rather than a debit card which means there are places that won't take them (Aldi for example).

I'd much rather have it linked to one of my debit cards instead.

2. Van

"Watch.......still trying to solve a problem that is not there."

Bullshit. Are you a Jeweller? Tech is getting smaller, the wrist is the obvious place to store it for those who don't want a slab of glass in the pocket to reach for. Just like what happened with pocket watches, altimeters and depth gauge funnily enough.

The watch needs to be allowed to evolve just like the mobile phone was.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The watch needs to be allowed to evolve just like the mobile phone was."

Or - like the dinosaurs - it should be allowed to die out :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not just ANY gold.

A NEW type of gold, invented by Apple!

From Apple's Watch website:

"The Edition collection features six uniquely elegant expressions of Apple Watch.

Each has a watch case crafted from 18-karat gold that our metallurgists have

developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold."

Wooooweeee!!!

1. pepper

So it's not gold but alloy'd gold. Great, seems redundant really.

Also, I've been heavily underwhelmed with Apple, seems like they are a year behind all the other flagship phones nowadays.

2. bigphil9009

God, that website makes me want to vomit diamond cutting-wire harvested crystals.

They have finally reached the point where they are a parody of themselves. It's incredible.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hard 18 carat plate has been around for many years. If they are making the same alloy out of solid good for them but yes, they do make a lot of fuss about things that are not that extraordinary.

6. Dazzz

Can I be first...

I'm calling for owners to be referred to as Watcholes...

1. J__M__M

Re: Can I be first...

If Watchholes isn't already taken, to say I'm surprised would be an understatement.

1. Dazzz

Re: Can I be first...

It is taken... :-(

7. Sir Alien

The watch is a gimmick but...

Although I think the watch is a gimmick I kind of like it for one reason. Unlike the failed Samsung attempts it does not look like someone has just strapped a small phone to your wrist. In the streaming video it actually looks thin and um.... watch-like.

So purely in terms of hardware Apple are ahead of the game. Won't know much about software until it is in active use by the populous for a while.

- SA

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The watch is a gimmick but...

It looks like someone has just strapped an iPod Nano 6th generation to your wrist. In 2010.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The watch is a gimmick but... (@ AC)

...see? Despite looking like 2010 product it's still better looking than Samsung...

Just teasing. This is definitely a "meh" moment. Still, the strength of Apple lies in integration and marketing, not necessarily in the device spec, so at least it may stir the wearables market, which has been comatose lately.

In order to make it more lively you need volume and this is something anyone else failed miserably in. Apple may, but just may, be able to kickstart it. Technical parameters are largely irrelevant to the mass market, marketing is king there.

8. Eddy Ito

So the watch is going to be like the iPod sneaker dongle only with a screen, on your wrist, a shorter battery life and most likely a bit warmer. Does anyone else take their watch off when they exercise because it's uncomfortable and might be damaged or is that just me?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Does anyone else take their watch off when they exercise because it's uncomfortable

Yes it can get uncomfortable very quickly. Come to think of it I can't think of having seen anyone at my gym wearing a wristwatch while they're working out. Or playing soccer for that matter.

Hmmm there's a thought. Playing soccer with an Apple Watch on. Things will get messy very quickly.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great Cameo

Great cameo from U2 there. Don't blame them for ripping off Gary Glitter he's not in a position to complain at the minute...

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Can I just repost a comment from the Reg's Twitter feed which about sums it up?

"Jesus fucking fuck. This company got it's shit hacked last week, can't host a stream this week, and wants to record your life next week"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can I just repost a comment from the Reg's Twitter feed which about sums it up?

Yep, all the walled garden sins of Microsoft with all the pathological surveillance sins of Google. Which explains their market cap.

11. Carl W
    FAIL

So square

Watch should have been round. Square watches went out in the 1970s. Although I wouldn’t say no to a Jaeger Reverso.

12. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

Yawn...

Whoopty dooo............

And to all of those Lemmings camping out in front of Apple's stores right now...you've got another TEN DAYS to wait you losers before you can buy anything.

13. Sander van der Wal
    Trollface

Hehehe. The Irish Tax Tweet is actually quite funny.

Anyways, pop bands way past their due date always went to Vegas to entertain the other dead people. Apparently that role has been taken over by the device makers. Nokia did it, now Apple's doing it.

14. Bob Sanders

Dick Tracy calling Doc Hump, Putty Puss and Mr. & Mrs. Pruneface

I'm going to refer to it as "AWatch".

Not out until 2015 so no Xmas gifts for the appasses

Though Microsoft will probably come out with a pocket watch.

Let the wrist wars begin!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dick Tracy calling Doc Hump, Putty Puss and Mr. & Mrs. Pruneface

"Let the wrist wars begin!"

Well with the amount of ego w*nking happening at Apple, I'm sure they have very muscular wrists !

15. Lost In Clouds of Data
    WTF?

Good God!

Without even trying to pretend otherwise, this so far feels horribly laclustre.

Let's see - new features : NFC, Barometer, bigger screen, higher resolution, wearable.

All these are Android features available for sometime now.

What scares me, as an Android user, is that there's nothing here that'll force the Android vendors to innovate further since now the iPhone is basically playing catchup. I really wanted (honestly, I did) to see Apple's new wearable be something that would blow anything away in the Android camp. As it is, it's 'just another wearable'.

And don't get me started on the price - starting at $299 for a phone with less memory than the LG G3.

Good God!

That all said, there's going to be Apple folk who'll happily pay the price simply because it's a new flashy shiny Apple. Good luck to them and well done Apple for creating a business model that is seemingly designed to part fools from their money.

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: Good God!

But the watch is revolutionary.....

instead of having a grid of square app icons, they have a grid of round app icons - that's world changing stuff right there!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Microsoft just called - they want their win mobile 6.5 ui back right now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You know that's $299 PLUS contract... Quite obviously closer to $1000

16. RainForestGuppy

Copyright

A big phone and a watch, didn't they just copy the Samsung launch from last week.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Copyright

That iPhone 6 looks eerily similar to a Galaxy.

Just sayin...

2. Oninoshiko
      Joke

Re: Copyright

those samsung bastards and their preemptive copying again!!

17. ratfox

Not convinced by the crown thing

After years of touch screens, using a secondary control method seems a bit off.

Apart from that, looks all right, but I still don't see the killer use for watches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not convinced by the crown thing

You mean the KGB watch with the handy Po-210 dispenser in the crown?

2. Timo
      Facepalm

And using the crown for input relegates the iWatch to a right-handed only device.

Unless lefties are expected to put the thing on upside-down in order to get the crown on the usable side? (Damn, I bet I will regret not patenting that idea.)

3. Maldax

I loved the "So you can see the screen (honest)"

4. Eddy Ito

It does seem a bit of an afterthought. Sort of an "oh shit" moment when they realized the touch screen was a tad small. To me it seems the elegant solution totally passed them by because, as Carl W mentioned above, they made the silly thing square. My dive watch has a rotating bezel which they could easily have implemented with a touch sensor around a circular face. It would have been instantly familiar to anyone who has used the click wheel on an iPod and been unobtrusive unlike the largish knob they currently have. What, they couldn't do two sizes with a round dial?

Since we're on the design topic, how the hell does this watch band work? It looks a bear to put on.

18. hammarbtyp

its not what you say

Its what you don't.

No iphone 6c.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like