back to article GitHub.io killed the distro star: Why are people so bored with the top Linux makers?

Matthew Miller is a little concerned. As the new project leader for the Fedora Linux distribution, he thinks Fedora 20 is great and Fedora 21, when it ships, will be the best release ever. But he worries that to everyone else, Fedora – and Linux distros in general – are getting a little, well … boring. He doesn't just mean the …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I, like many of my IT comrades in arms, now use DuckDuckGo.com rather than Google as a search engine so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I find DDG finds more relevant articles on server and PC issues. Plus no ads or deep invasive searches of my HD.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hard drive searches?

Exactly how does visiting google.com perform a "deep invasive search of your hard drive?" Maybe if you have a Google toolbar installed, but people who deliberately install a search toolbar deserve whatever happens to them.

I can certainly see avoiding google.com to keep them from collecting even more information on you, but Google certainly has no idea what is on my hard drive, nor will they ever.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

DDG?

You mean Bing, as that is where DDG pulls its results from.

Just like F/OSS, DDG is having to piggyback off MS's hard work and innovation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: DDG?

Talk about FUD: DDG pulls its searches from at least fifty sources. Bing is one of them.

By "MS's hard work and innovation" I assume you mean their desire to maintain their monopoly by copying what Google did. DDG does do something MS, Google and the rest don't. They respect your privacy.

1. chris lively

You know that DDG is based in the US? That it has to comply with US laws? You know, ones like "Do what the NSA says and you're not allowed to ever acknowledge it." Like, oh just pulling a random one here: tracking all your users and sending that data directly to a TLA (three letter agency)?

Please stop drinking the kool-aid and pay attention.

2. SolidSquid

You mean Bing that was found to be piggybacking off of Google's search results in order to increase their accuracy?

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

Just like F/OSS, DDG is having to piggyback off MS's hard work and innovation.

Not sure whether sarcasm or just shilling.

Nah, "hard work and innovation" gives it away. Thumbs up has been granted.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Just like F/OSS, DDG is having to piggyback off MS's hard work and innovation."

And at least with Microsoft / Bing, a massive chunk of the profits go to charity via Bill Gates.

1. Chris Evans

"And at least with Microsoft / Bing, a massive chunk of the profits go to charity via Bill Gates."

The sum may be large but it's rather indirect. The money doesn't come from Microsoft but a shareholder. Giving money directly is a much more efficient method.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"And at least with Microsoft / Bing, a massive chunk of the profits go to charity via Bill Gates."

What's the bet the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation save more money claiming (tax free) charity status, than they give away each year?

Yes I'm cynical. The Gate Family know how to play the system and spin PR. Solid evidence they're not would be welcome. ;)

5. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Must be a slow day in Redmond.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

Linux is supposed to be boring.

If you do notice your operating system, it's usually because it failed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, that's what the skin-crawl I get after using my linux box(en) for even a few minutes is. Thanks for the explanation.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

Crawling in my skin, these bugs they will not go away.

for even a few minutes is. Thanks for the explanation

You are not made for IT, anon. Please stay in your assigned area.

1. Daniel B.
          Trollface

Re: Crawling in my skin, these bugs they will not go away.

MS shills are now hiding behind AC. It seems they noticed that using their real handles gives them away, it's probably why I haven't seen TheVogon posts as of late. Though there's still one MS shill posting with his handle...

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The other thing is...

That most of the time, the new releases of the likes of Fedora 'just work'. Unless you have some unique use case then for the majority of us this is the case.

It didn't use to be. That is great progress IMHO.

I mainly use CentOS and OSX at home. A bit of FreeNas and that's it.

I do try the odd release of Fedora now but I don't have the need to dig deeply into it any more apart from the integration with Windows AD. {The real world job and all that}.

The stability that a distro like CentOS offers me and my current needs is right on the nail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The other thing is...

"That most of the time, the new releases of the likes of Fedora 'just work'."

You've not really used Fedora soon after release in quite a while have you?

Normally takes them a few months after a new release to have most things working ok... :(

(not just new device hw, but end user software too)

4. Fehu
    Happy

Awww, the good old days...

I'm going on 13 years of working primarily in Linux at my real job. My boss tells me which distro we're going to use and supplies the media that's installed on our servers. At home, I have one machine that has the open source version of our company's supported distro on one machine, a copy of Ubuntu on another and two Chromebooks. I have a gaming machine running Win 7 and that's about all I have time for. Gone are the days when I would download a new distro about every other week and try it out. I think that's what they mean when they talk about a market maturing. I still visit DistroWatch.com occasionally, but I'm kind of afraid of wiping out something that's working and I might need for work just for curiosity. And isn't Miller really saying that the distribution mechanism is changing more than that interest in Linux is lessening. The first distro I ever downloaded was over a 56K modem. I'm kind of glad we don't have to do that anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Awww, the good old days...

"Gone are the days when I would download a new distro about every other week and try it out"

I think the only reason people did that is that up until maybe 5 years ago there was a real improvement on the previous/other distro versions. Ie better OS perfomance/facilities and/or a better front end. These days Linux is pretty mature even on the desktop and any changes are simply small incremental changes that really don't warrant the pain of a re-install especialy since updating individual components is usually a fairly painless process (gcc excepted).

I'm currently running Slackware 14.0 from 2012 on my laptop (and that was only to update a Slackware 11 install) and I have no intention of even thinking about an update for another couple of years because It Just Works. It does everything I need and has never had any kind of fault. Why would I?

2. nematoad
      Linux

Re: Awww, the good old days...

"... but I'm kind of afraid of wiping out something that's working"

That's what VMs are for.

Just install Virtualbox and experiment to your hearts content.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think there's three factors in play here.

One is, tangentially discussed in the article, access. If I want to contribute to something on GitHub, I just hit the fork button and i'm away. Getting into Linux development is not only technically challenging, but dominated by corporate, salaried developers who are (rightfully) protective of their domains. There's little of the old community spirit there. Not only that but it's disparate and scattered, split between the kernel, the primary daemons, the distros, the desktop environments etc., all with ever so slightly differing approaches. It's just *hard* to get into, and even harder to see results.

The second, again discussed in the article, is that Linux is somewhat... boring. It's low level, it's not sexy. The sexy stuff that does exist gets mired in the distro-wars. Even something interesting, novel and appealing like systemd has to undergo a verbal battering from the purists.

The third is a generational thing, in two parts. Simply put, most new developers Don't Know C. We might have received some rudimentary training on it, but our languages of choice these days are more likely to be Java/C# or Javascript or Python or Ruby or whatever. Similarly, we're not as familiar with the inner workings of an OS as our predecessors. That represents a barrier to entry.

And, in hand with that change in language focus, today's open source developers don't want to work on GPL'd code. I'm in my mid 20s, I contribute to a handful of open source projects of varying scale, and if I see the GPL I run a mile. Most of my peers on the London scene are of a similar attitude. We no longer equate the GPL with open source. Restrictive licenses don't fit with our view of the world. It's no longer necessary and often outright toxic to a project. This devil-may-care attitude to licensing extends to the point where, despite GPL being in the minority of licensed projects on GitHub, most GitHub aren't even licensed! We just aren't as militant as our parents.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Not licensed!

"Restrictive licenses don't fit with our view of the world ... most GitHub aren't even licensed!"

If you don't like restrictive licences why are you even more restrictive?

You automatically have copyright with all rights reserved. A licence (look it up in a dictionary if you don't believe me) is a grant of freedom to do something. So unless you apply some licence to your GitHub project you're effectively saying that nobody else can do anything with it. And that's a good deal more restrictive than the GPL.

Use the BSD, DWTFYW, explicitly say "anyone is free to do what they want with this at their own risk" but don't assume that just because you say nothing freedom is implied. It's not; just the opposite.

Also, get a disclaimer in there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not licensed!

"but don't assume that just because you say nothing freedom is implied. It's not; just the opposite."

My point was rather that we can't even be bothered to go through the automated process of adding licenses to our GitHub repos, so it's quite a stretch to ask us to jump through the hoops involved with GPL compliance.

Re: Not licensed!

I take your point on GPL compliance and sympathise. Nobody suggested you should (unless you want to use someone else's GPL code).

But if you CBA to add anything to your repos what you're effectively saying "it's all mine - you can't use it". That's the default.

If you want it to be wide open you need to say that. Is that really so difficult?

2. SolidSquid

Syntax has it right, the GPL grants a standardised range of rights over a code base that otherwise you'd have no rights over. Without the licence, nobody knows what they're able to do without violating the rights of the project owner

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The third is a generational thing, in two parts. Simply put, most new developers Don't Know C."

So learn it then. Its not hard especially if you already know Java or C#. And the sort of people who say "but, like, pointers sooo are hard" really shouldn't be doing programming in the first place and should go off and do an arts degree.

"but our languages of choice these days are more likely to be Java/C# or Javascript or Python or Ruby or whatever."

No offence, but Python, javascript, ruby and similar scripting languages are training languages. They're the 21st century equivalent of QuickBasic. They do the job - up to a point. But eventually you need to take the training wheels off and learn a proper language that has full access to (almost) all OS resources. ie C/C++/C# or Java and gives you total programming freedom on the platform.

1. roselan
        Flame

shut up and go do machine code.

What am I saying is: go design your own double patterning litho tools, and build your own cpu, noob.

Programming is for wussies. Real Men do processor design.

And coffee too. You can get me one ;)

2. Daniel B.

@boltar

No offence, but Python, javascript, ruby and similar scripting languages are training languages. They're the 21st century equivalent of QuickBasic.

YES. YES. YES. There's a lot of "do it with JavaScript" oriented people that are turning out to be very annoying; anything done in JavaScript will only run client-side and is a security vuln waiting to happen unless you're checking everything server-side as well. Pretty much the only thing I see good with the "cool" scripting languages is that they aren't Visual Basic.

1. sisk

Re: @boltar

No offence, but Python, javascript, ruby and similar scripting languages are training languages. They're the 21st century equivalent of QuickBasic.

Python and Ruby maybe, but JavaScript is THE go to language for client side web site scripting, which makes it very important for both web design and HTML5 based mobile apps. But don't get me wrong: it gets misused a lot these days. It should never see use outside of those two environments, but somehow people have gotten the idea that it's the way to do things.

4. sisk

We no longer equate the GPL with open source. Restrictive licenses don't fit with our view of the world. It's no longer necessary and often outright toxic to a project.

I do have to agree with you on this point. The GPL is, in my opinion, long winded and nearly as restrictive as a proprietary license would be. My license of choice these days is the BSD license when I decide something done in my free time is worth licensing at all (if it's not in my free time I don't own it - pretty standard when someone pays you to code). Really more often my free-time projects end up getting thrown out to the wild with a public domain release. But then they tend to be dinky little things because, who wants to code for 8 hours on someone else's pet project and then come home and code some more on another big project?

5. Vincent Ballard

I think the language question seems far more likely to be relevant than the source repository. When software was on Sourceforge, we could download it and attempt to compile it. Now that software is on Github we can download it and attempt to compile it. What's the difference?

But when most open source software was in C, figuring out the dependencies and getting it to actually compile was hard work and it was nice to delegate it to the distro. Now that so much open source software is in other languages which have their own package mechanisms to manage dependencies and don't require you to work out the best compiler flags, there's less reason to involve a third party.

6. Daniel B.
      Boffin

GPL

Ah yes, the GPL. Even the Linux kernel code ended up staying on GPL v2 because the latest incarnation of the GPL ended up being very toxic. There's one thing in wanting to have free software, but another one to force that "freedom" into everything even slightly related to free software code. Hell, LGPL had to be created just to ensure that linking to FOSS libraries doesn't mean the GPL has stuck to your code!

Now, don't get me wrong, we need radical people like Stallman; if it hadn't been for the Free Software folks we wouldn't even have the stuff we have now, but the GPL should really be toned down.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Daniel B. - Re: GPL If you would be right in your assumption

this whole thread here would be about BSDs, not GNU/Linux. And GPL v3 was needed mainly because of TiVO and the likes.

Please double check your reasoning.

7. Justin Clift

@AC - re Community spirit

"Getting into Linux development is not only technically challenging, but dominated by corporate, salaried developers who are (rightfully) protective of their domains. There's little of the old community spirit there."

If you're interested in the storage side of things, you'd be welcome in the GlusterFS Community. Many of us are salaried developers (paid by Red Hat), but many people aren't, and we're very _not protective_ of our domains. We take a "the more the merrier" approach, and are very newbie friendly. :)

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Booths?

I used to wait for a trade show and go to a booth to see when a new version of some software would be released - in 1986 - now we have this other thing called an internet to tell me.

1. SVV

Re: Booths?

Agreed about the availability of information on the web.

But a day away from being stuck behind the computer at the office, with a pub lunch followed by collecting nonsense freebies for a few hours?

Not to mention the ultimate work week : attending a conference. Top notch hotel in Paris, in June, champagne receptions with tech legends, company credit card paying for posh nosh every evening......

Don't argue yourself out of a freebie, for goodness sake!

(OK, I learnt some interesting stuff too which I used in subsequent projects, so it wasn't a total skive)

2. chris lively

I'm pretty sure that the only reason for trade shows anymore is as an excuse for people to not be at work.

1. Captain Scarlet
        Coat

"I'm pretty sure that the only reason for trade shows anymore is as an excuse for people to not be at work"

SSSHHHH! The PHB's might be looking at the comments!

2. phil dude
        Boffin

maybe some people, but I know first hand it is where you *meet* other people who know things...

Interesting comparison to the sciences, where authors who publish have to self-promote.

In tech companies, the people who actually do the work, are usually never seen.

But it is nice to get out of the lab, if the destination is nice....!

P.

7. 27escape

If it just works

or works enough (eg winXP) why upgrade/change.

Developer types are interested in new stuff and the desktops are now all stable and do whats needed, we get our kicks from new apps/languages/systems nowadays.

1. nematoad
      Thumb Up

Re: If it just works

A good point and it may be the explanation as to why we have had the likes of Unity, Gnome3 and TIFKAM foisted on us.

8. i like crisps
    Trollface

"GIT-HUB"...

...Another name for Twitter?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gnome? Unity?

Er, could it be anything to do with Linux desktop environments like Gnome and Unity becoming hideous to use? There seems to be quite a lot of interest in Mint...

1. Maventi

Re: Gnome? Unity?

I agree that Mint is pretty popular, but for some reason I've just never been able to grow to like it. The first impression always draws me in but after a few weeks I get frustrated. I can't even put my finger on the reason why, it just feels a little bit scratchy.

By the same token I don't find Unity hideous at all these days. It's pretty good on large monitors and while the workflow is quite different to the old Gnome 2 interface I find it very efficient. It's also very stable.

That said everyone has different tastes and it seems these days we are all spoiled by lot of very good choices out there. So much so that most folks just go grab their favourite distro, install it and then get on with life. It's rare to have to search for help to get things working now. On that basis I think the only way to really get some good stats on Linux adoption would be to somehow track hits against all the repository mirrors out there.

10. JassMan
    Thumb Down

Maybe the answer is that people are moving from base linux flavours

Most of my mates are changing to Mint or Ubuntu with some special purpose flavours such as Arch or XBMC. None of these appear in the graph which has obviously been selected to give the impression that Linux is a has been for everyday users. OK, with over 50 flavours around the graph couldn't show every one. However, since Suse, Debian and Fedora are the main base distributions, they could surely have shown these as the main graphs, but have included all of the derivatives in the count for each base.

Re: Maybe the answer is that people are moving from base linux flavours

Distrowatch currently shows Mint as the top distro & also places Mageia above Fedora and openSuse, neither of which are in the graph.

But as others have said, I think the main factor is that most users have found that Linux has progressed from "only just works" to "just works" and have less need to conduct searches.

2. Fibbles
      Facepalm

Agreed, it's amazing how bad you can make a graph look when you exclude the most popular distro...

Without Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu.

Oh no, the sky is falling!

1. dominicr

Yes that is interesting, and we can see why the Fedora guy would leave Ubuntu out of his chart, but the basic story remains the same...

1. mattdm

FWIW, Ubuntu, Arch, and Mint are covered on the next slide in the presentation; that's just omitted from The Register's summary article here, not the actual talk.

And, you can see that, while still very popular (and deservedly so), Ubuntu is experiencing the same decline as everyone else, just with a slightly later peak (late 2007).

1. Fibbles

You're reading the graph wrong IMO. Assuming the frequency of search queries correlates with interest in each distro and assuming that the sum of the distros listed on the graph represents total interest in Linux distros as a whole:

- Interest in Linux was flat from 2004 to 2006ish.

- Interest roughly doubled around the release of Ubuntu and stayed that way for a few years.

- Interest in Linux has fallen and flattened out back at 2004 levels.

This goes against MIller's assertion that interest in Linux distros has waned since 2004 - 2005. It just happens that interest in his preferred Linux distros has waned since that time.

You'd be able to see this more clearly if Google Trends allowed for plotting a line representing the total of all the others. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to give that option (or at least I can't find it anyway).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like