back to article ISIS terror fanatics invade Diaspora after Twitter blockade

Medieval terror bastards ISIS have moved from Twitter to non-profit social networking outfit Diaspora to spew their cant – and apparently nothing can be done to stop them. "Diaspora is a completely decentralized network which, by its nature, consists of many small servers exchanging posts and messages," the organizers of the …

1. Piro Silver badge

Never heard of this before now. Diaspora* must be happy, since now they're getting the most publicity ever.

1. Ole Juul

Diaspora* must be happy

But ISIS ISNT.

2. Ben Tasker

Came across them when they first launched (one of my old bosses contributed some cash to their development IIRC). Played around a bit, but it was a bit *meh*, especially as it's hard to use social media when there's no-one else on there.

Came across them again when they got publicly hammered for an absolute shed-load of vulnerabilities (most stupid and easily avoidable AFAIR).

Had faded out of my memory until now though

1. Anonymous Coward 101

"Came across them when they first launched (one of my old bosses contributed some cash to their development IIRC). Played around a bit, but it was a bit *meh*,..."

I genuinely thought you were referring to ISIS when I read that.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Disapora is what G+ copied.

It's a shame it never got real traction because it had the potential to be one of the better social platforms (i.e. run by the users, not having to give your life away to ad-spammers for free).

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Headmaster

Medieval terror bastards?

Surely you meant 'stone age psychopaths'?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Medieval terror bastards?

Whatever

C.

1. RealFred

+1 for the link

2. captain veg Silver badge

"Medieval terror bastards ISIS"

Now *that's* how to start an article.

-A.

3. Lars Silver badge

Suppose "psychopaths" came later with religion, religious psychopaths that is.

3. Necronomnomnomicon

Hopefully they'll fund some improvements

I've been keeping an eye on Diaspora* for a while and it seems like a great idea. If setting it up didn't look like such a pain in the arse I'd have had a proper play with it already.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn it

It was already painful enough when governments used terrorism as an excuse to attack our privacy and anonymity… But if terrorists actually start using anonymous services on the web, we're going to have nothing left.

1. frank ly

Re: Damn it

This may be an unintentionally good tactic for ISIS and any others who switch to using anonymous services. Governements, of many different shades, would jump on that activity as a good reason to ban such services and label any user as a terrorist sympathiser. The admins (and podmins) of such services would then be 'terrorist enablers' and the general public would be glad to see them hunted down and put out of operation. The screws would tighten even more on our freedoms of movement and expression, hence leading to greater dissatisfaction in society.

5. bitten

Iraq: 500000 to 1000000+ deaths up and counting. Oh, and some harsh word exchanges on the social media.

1. Necronomnomnomicon

There's probably more to it than that

I suspect they're more interested in the "we attack the infidel at dawn on Thursday" kind of message.

1. Ian 62

Re: There's probably more to it than that

And then we end up in the situation where...

"We attack place X, at Y time, on Z day"

That gets 'leaked' to some media or intelligence agency, the government of the day 'Has to act to protect the citizens' and we end up with closed airports, roads, rail, stop and search in the streets, and shut down telecoms.

Then the terrorist pee themselves laughing because for every one attack that they do actually perform they can terrify us into doing what they want another 10 times for free.

I'm more likely to catch a double decker bus in the face than be victim of a terror attack, but I don't see the government protecting me with a 'bus stop and search' every time I cross the street.

1. Hargrove

@Ian 62

Then the terrorist pee themselves laughing because for every one attack that they do actually perform they can terrify us into doing what they want another 10 times for free.

Therein lies the rub with respect to wholesale data collection and automated data mining for horizon scanning and risk assessment. They are going to be inherently susceptible to spoofing. And the wider the collection, the greater the susceptibility and the risk will be.

Taking Ian 62's scenario a step further, the obvious strategy for a terrorist group would be to use spoofing to generate the kind of response Ian predicates to create a tactical advantage for an attack at another time and/or place.

Unrestrained government surveillance of information would be objectionable in a free society even if, in theory, it made us marginally safer. The prospect that it actually degrades security needs to be take very seriously.

Those who govern, and the special interests they serve, benefit greatly from government monitoring in terms of political power and economic gain. Human nature being what it is, this is likely to blind them to any downside to their actions.

2. samlebon2306

"I suspect they're more interested in the "we attack the infidel "

Who are the infidels? These criminal psychos kill anything alive in front of them, Muslim, Christian, Sunni, Shia...They spare nothing, except Israel.

2. El_Fev

And guess what?

Most of those killed by other Muslims!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Fortunately, our counter-terrorism media strategy has an answer!!

Just get ISIS to move their rants to Google+, and nobody will ever hear from them again!

Please mail my Nobel peace prize to...

8. Jim 59

ISIS has been forced onto an obscure platform nobody's ever heard of. Perhaps amanfrommars should pay a visit over there to keep them company.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

He would infallibly lead them to suicide by AK!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For a bunch of lunatics who hate the west and all that it stands for they seem to rely very heavily on infidel technology in all aspects of their life.

1. nsld
      Coat

For a moment

I thought you where talking about the Labour party......

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Next they will be trading in pork rind futures.

10. breakfast Silver badge
    Thumb Up

So really...

Diaspora*? More like Hegira* AMIRITE????

*looking forward to being amply and vigorously corrected over the difference between the terms...

11. smartypants

But Diaspora is Haram*!

How unfortunate that they chose this service, as it makes them worse than the infidel cur. No 72 virgins for these naughty people.

(* You want proof? Let me dust off my theology certificate

Diaspora is a multi-tenanted service, and as such, the glorious messages and images of Holy War against the unbeliever are stuck interleaved on hard disks with pictures of dogs, homosexuals, the uncovered ankles and lower arms of women (and even more sluttish images besides).

Anyone consuming this service cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. Only authorised iron-age technology is allowed in the fight against the infidel. (You know the score - liberal use of scimitars, endless wittering nonsequiturs, splendid beards, a ban on all music but the very worst, women turned into shuffling covered up slave-drones etc.)

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: But Diaspora is Haram*!

a ban on all music but the very worst

Oh, they can have 1Direction, no argument from my part.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Re: But Diaspora is Haram*!

The headlines today. An SAS mission to delivered 1Direction and Justin Bieber to ISIS has succeeded.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Devil

The very next day...

In shock news the US and UK governments have surrendered to ISIS, after it threatened to replace the entire internet with non-stop, non-interuptable songs from Justin Bieber and 1Direction.

In a statement today David Cameron said, "I shall grow my beard forthwith. I am sorry for having destroyed Western civilsation with one careless action. I did not realise the power of sonic warfare until this moment. The British government have been ordered by our ISIS overlords to declare holy war on Radio 1. The death penalty has been introduced today for all boy-bands, girl-bands, and solo pop artists. N Dubz will be executed live on News at Ten tonight. We hope to capture Girls Aloud before they can do any more harm.

12. Marshalltown
    Pint

Medieval

You really want to peeve ISIS? Start referring to them as "crusaders." Beer because it contains alcohol, don'tcha know.

1. Mark 85

Re: Medieval

Nice touch about "crusaders"... and don't forget to smear your bullets in bacon grease.

13. nsld
    Mushroom

Why not

Flood this particular network with pictures of Beer, Fry ups and Bacon sarnies?

Thats one way to piss off that particular brand of sky fairy worshipping bacon dodger (as well as several others)

14. Fehu
    Mushroom

Simple solution?

Don't the dudes in question have some prohibition about pictures of a certain "prophet"? The service in question simply edits their pages to display a small picture of said person and, wala, being the totally OCD'd, can't get past the small crit types that they are they implode. Apart from that, being slightly familiar with the powers of even the lowliest SysAdmins, I find it hard to imagine that anyone could put any content on a server that I had scripting privileges on. These protestations that "There's nothing we can do to stop it." ring hollow.

15. roger stillick
    Linux

Diaspora* can be a Honeypot...

WIKI= Diaspora*... seems it is a fully founded FOSS internetworking project that can be run in a private, stand-alone version using a minimum of 3 servers, 2 for content, and 1 for domain names...either open or encrypted messaging...hardware= 3 cheap Linux Desktop dual or quad cpu boxes somewhere on the www or ww3 net.

IMHO= this is a complete lash-up for a Black Net that anyone with a little spare time can prototype and provide a production version to users... WIKI provides very ample documentation for either developers or users...

Any type of illegal avtivity can be accomodated over secure black networks...Unfortunately for users, a NSA type operation can use Honeypot Pods / Honeypot content servers to spoof users into giving up personal data... the private domain server makes non-users w/o proper coding unable to access any of this mess...'man in the middle' might be possible on a case by case intercept job.

caveiat= i am a Buddhist techno historian, Chrime. Pron, and War is Stupid...RS.

16. Christian Berger

Come on that series cannot be _that_ bad, can it?

I mean surely this seems very dated now, but calling it "Medieval terror bastards" seems harsh. It can't be worth than "Saphire and Steel". What does that even mean in the context of a 1970s children's TV series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYmbt2RVqCg

Ohh you mean that organisation in Iraq? That's named "IS" not "ISIS", they had a rebrand recently.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like