back to article Munich considers dumping Linux for ... GULP ... Windows!

The German city of Munich, which famously adopted Linux and open source across its operations, may be about to reverse that decision. German newspaper Süddeutsche reports deputy mayor Josef Schmid as saying the city is considering the move because users often complain about the functionality available in open-source …

Page:

1. Ami Ganguli

Lack of integrated email/contacts/calendar?

I can't believe that's really the reason. I can understand that migrating FROM Outlook might be a pain for a lot of companies, so they suck it up and stick with it. But if you're not tied to MS ecosystem already, why would you willingly adopt it?

There are a ton of solutions, both Open Source and proprietary. Gmail, Zimbra, and Evolution, just off the top of my head.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Lack of integrated email/contacts/calendar?

Quite. And even if there really isn't anything suitable, paying someone to write software, or tweak existing software would be far cheaper than paying for MS licenses, and the hardware upgrades the monster would require.

And then to be bound again by a company that tried to force metro big blobby buttons onto it's customers..... WTF?

The thing is, none of the staff that are complaining have to foot the bill, and don't understand/care about the issues.

1. Frankee Llonnygog
        Trollface

Re: paying someone to write software

Here's some obey. Write me an open source clone of Outlook please. Easy, innit?

2. Jim 59

...and the hardware upgrades the monster would require

Quite so. Remove Windows from a modern desktop PC and install Linux, and you are left with vastly overspecified hardware. But do the opposite...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Remove Windows from a modern desktop PC and install Linux, and you are left with vastly overspecified hardware. But do the opposite..."

Just to note that Windows 8.1 outperformed the latest Ubuntu in benchmark tests such as boot time, 3D graphics and copying large files...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

'..Just to note that Windows 8.1 outperformed the latest Ubuntu in benchmark tests such as boot time, 3D graphics and copying large files...'

so, by logic then, I *should* be better off running Win 8.1 on *this* box I'm typing on at present...

oh, no, wait, I've already tried that, and general performance was so bloody poor I dropped back to using (initially) win 7, then back to XP on the Windows partition just to get stupid things like browser performance back to being on a par with the Debian install on the same box.

It amuses me when people talk about the alleged performance boost, where they claim Win8.x > Win7 > WinXP, I've still yet to see this at my place of employ where we've been Win7'd..of course, all the machines had to be upgraded, and the merest fact they've all got double the memory the old XP boxes had, double the number of processor cores, and faster SATA disks has bugger all to do with the fact that they're still slower than treacle when used for most daily tasks compared to the remaining XP boxes..or the Macs.

See what you've gone and done, AC, implicitly made me come to the defence of Ubuntu...I feel soo bloody dirty now I'll have to go and do a Slackware install somewhere to atone for this..

2. defiler

"Just to note that Windows 8.1 outperformed the latest Ubuntu in benchmark tests such as boot time, 3D graphics and copying large files..."

That's great, and I tried Windows 8.1 - yes it's very quick to boot. So that's saved me about 12 seconds a day.

3D graphics? Wonderful but I don't care in an office environment.

Copying large files? Again (almost entirely) unnecessary in an office.

Having used Ubuntu for 2+ years for work and dual booting to Windows 7 on the same machine, I found little difference in program performance, but Ubuntu was generally quicker at drive access and more stable (particularly Firefox).

And I wish I'd had an Outlook equivalent. Though Thunderbird was good for most jobs.

1. Jaybus

I would force all of "my" users to use webmail if it were up to me.However, several of those users travel extensively and for some reason can not sit back and enjoy a flight and absolutely insist that they need access to the last 10 years worth of e-mail even during flights with no internet access. As a result, they use a mix of Thunderbird on both Mac and Windows, Outlook on both Mac and Windows, and Apple iMail. All allow offline access. Thunderbird has been rock solid. Outlook has only occasional issues, though more so on Mac Office 2011 version of Outlook. iMail has strange behavior more often than the others, such as reporting a failure to send when in fact the send was successful and no errors are reported at the server end, messages sent with extraneous headers that appear to be left overs from the previous message sent, etc.

2. HereWeGoAgain

Linux today is as bloated as Windows. Don't say 'well try Puppy Linux or some other lightweight distribution (amongst thousands).' It is fair to compare commercial offerings, such as Redhat, with Windows.

1. Marcelo Rodrigues

"Linux today is as bloated as Windows."

I can't speak for everyone - nor every configuration. But, for me, OpenSuse 13.1 x86_64 is FAR nimbler than Windows 7 64. It's dual boot - so exactly the same hardware*. It looks faster, too, than two NUCs we have at work (i3, 8GiB RAM and mSATA SSD, with Windows 8 64).

* Athlon FX 6300, 8GiB DDR3 1333, 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate, EVGA GTX 460. Two monitors.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Total urban machine on Linux were converted in the past ten years 15 000 , about 80 percent of all jobs in the Munich authorities"

So 20% still run Windows after a decade?! The cost of running two parallel infrastructures for so long must be horrendous.

""Linux is very expensive, as much itself must be programmed.""

Well there we go - so much for the Linux "cost savings". It doesn't work out of the box and costs lots of money to fix. As confirmed by the worlds foremost migration site.

1. t.est

Do you remember the study they did. If I recall correctly, Mac's were considered, they were also forecasted to have the lowest support and maintenance cost of all platforms, but the highest investment cost for a change, was it roughly 3 times higher than continue with pc's.

The mac way would have had MS Office and Exchange support, apps would have been quite similar to work with, that meant lower training costs than going with Linux.

I still don't understand what the criterias was that made them go with Linux. They surely were not criterias that was made from the users perspective.

I may though mix it up with another similar study. As I've read a few of them.

1. big_D Silver badge

@t.est they already had the PCs, they just needed to reprovision them. That is a lot cheaper than throwing away 15,000 perfectly good PCs and buing 15,000 new Macs... Replacement cycles would also be longer on Linux / Windows, given Cupertino's glee in stopping support on older hardware.

Also, don't foget at the time of the transition, that would have been transitioning to PowerPC, maybe there was something technical - such as the VMs for keeping virtual Windows instances around for special programs that didn't have a Mac equivalent were so abysmal back then... Now they could use Parallels or VMWare or even dual boot with Bootcamp, back then it was Microsoft's VirtualPC, which was a dog.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I still don't understand what the criterias was that made them go with Linux. "

Windows is a software vendor lock-in

Mac is a software and HARDWARE vendor lock-in

Linux is neither.

MS got popular by being cheap, doing most things that were needed and not charging extra fees for added functionality.

So did Cisco.

Once they eliminated the competition, they changed to the same rape-and-pillage models the previous incumbents had used.

Sensible businesses don't willingly keep their head in a noose whilst someone's sawing away at the chair legs underneath.

2. big_D Silver badge

Sounds like you ran that through Google Translate, AC.

I would guess that that is 80% of employees, not every employee has a computer, or even a desk. That was 80% of all jobs, not 80% of all PC users, there is a difference.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I would guess that that is 80% of employees"

No - it's most definately referring to 80% of computers.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hello RICHTO

It's been a while...

4. Anthony 13
        Coffee/keyboard

"And even if there really isn't anything suitable, paying someone to write software, or tweak existing software would be far cheaper than paying for MS licenses, and the hardware upgrades the monster would require."

That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!!! Jamie, I can only assume you are a software developer with self interest at heart?

5. Vince

"Quite. And even if there really isn't anything suitable, paying someone to write software, or tweak existing software would be far cheaper than paying for MS licenses, and the hardware upgrades the monster would require."

Really? How did you calculate that?

It's cheaper to build something from scratch to support many different devices and whatnot, and then support it over a reasonable lifetime than to just pay someone who has already been there, done that?

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Stop

Re: Jamie Jones Re: Lack of integrated email/contacts/calendar?

".....paying someone to write software, or tweak existing software would be far cheaper than paying for MS licenses...." And lead to a requirement for specialized support and uncertain support costs compared to a commercial offering.

".....And then to be bound again by a company that tried to force metro big blobby buttons onto it's customers..... WTF?...." Your opinion of the GUI design of Win8 has nothing to do with the chief complaint of the lack of features from competing products. The fact that MS Outlook has such features is undisputed. You would do better to concentrate on the matter at hand rather than simply repeating MS-bashing soundbites, customers kind of prefer that.

".....The thing is, none of the staff that are complaining have to foot the bill....." Your blatant disregard for the users would be very counter-productive if you ever had to deal with such a situation. And, seeing as they are probably also Munich taxpayers, in the end they probably do foot the bill. The issue is they are complaining - as users - that the lack of features and integration is making it harder to do there task, to such a degree that they would consider the additional cost the lesser of two evils. Simply disparaging them by saying "dumb lusers, what would they know" is not a good tactic.

2. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Possibly the significant comment is the one about it taking several weeks to set up the Mayor's smartphone to receive email.

That sort of embarrassment in front of the big boss tends to lead very rapidly to change, regardless of any other factors.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

" Possibly the significant comment is the one about it taking several weeks to set up the Mayor's smartphone to receive email.

That sort of embarrassment in front of the big boss tends to lead very rapidly to change, regardless of any other factors."

Sheer ignorance and incompetence is no excuse! That so called admin had the cheek to admit that, when really he/she should be looking for a new job....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"That so called admin had the cheek to admit that, when really he/she should be looking for a new job...."

It's not the admins fault that his management made him use a crappy Open Source platform for email that hardly anyone else uses and simply doesnt work reliably with mobile email devices.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Leads very rapidly to change...

Ten years? You must work in local government too

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
          Happy

Re: Leads very rapidly to change...

You must work in local government too

Indeed yes, I do. And sometimes, 10 years can be a short timeframe.

But in this case, it isn't ten years - Dieter Reiter was elected mayor of Munich in March 2014.

3. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

Yes, but the problem with the smartphone/email is the quality of the support staff not the infrastructure.

I for one think it would be great to see them go back. MS are so arrogant these days that Munich will be paying through the nose and kicking themselves for years! ROFL!

4. Uwe Dippel

Hmm. My smartphone connects totally well and easily to a FOSS mailserver. Well, it does not connect nicely to an Exchange server, but that's not what is mentioned in the article.

Therefore, I simply don't understand.

1. Rebecca M

Hmm. My smartphone connects totally well and easily to a FOSS mailserver. Well, it does not connect nicely to an Exchange server, but that's not what is mentioned in the article.

You do know what integration means don't you?

So you can access your email. What about your calendar and contacts from the same app? Oh, right, that isn't going to happen.

So how is it integrated? If you're faced with a question that is tough to answer replacing it with a different question that you can is generally not helpful.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I smell a shill

I was thinking the same as you... no to mention the Horde of competent collaboration/groupeware available. Once you've escaped the strangle-hold you're free to cherry-pick from such a vast ecosystem of tools (including many of the market leaders) that the suggestion seems perverse.

I wonder what steps they've taken to trace/audit this vocal opposition. A handful of "shop stewards" could easily drum up a bit of noise. Quietly gossiping amongst the suggestible about how much "better" the new OE55® RibWizz™ UI is in TIFKAM 8.3 if only we could have it. Perhaps with a sprinkling of good old class warfare. The bosses all sit there at their expensive Macs and expect us to do all the work with this free crap. Won't even spring for Windows®©™ the tight bastards. I'd like to see *them* work with this shit. If it's good enough... Shows how they value... Etc...

Combined with natural "grass is greener" tendencies it could make the empire's new clothes look very shiny indeed. Seen the effect many times myself... NT - "better security"(!)... suppose that was in comparison to 3.11 - we were on NetWare at the time :| ...XP - no specific reason, they just seemed to know they wanted it even though in *reality* 2000 was fine. ...Then most recently and perversely everyone seemed to "know" they "needed" Vista - although that one did die away quite quickly. Anyone know how much advertising MSFT has been buying in Munich?

Could of course go straight to the top with a bung-you-can't-refuse...

We KNOW the Munich problem has been causing concern in Redmond. One has to wonder what action it has received.

Be interesting to see how all this turns out. They've got some bright, engaged people at Munich. Definitely one to watch.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: I smell a shill

I smell the same thing.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

I smell irrational open-source fanboy narrow mindedness.

It's all about the right tool for the right job - if a closed source product (even MS) can do that better, so be it.

2. Chika

Indeed. Chances are that the "functionality" argument is more likely based on the lack of certain high profile brand names rather than actual ability to do something.

That and a large sum of money.

3. RealFred

What, because they've dared criticise your holy grail. It hasn't worked for Munich because of a whole lot of reasons, be they technical or operational. Instead of seeing if the problem can be fixed, the Open Source crowd bitch and moan about everything and point the finger. I suggest they start looking at their software and give it the functionality that people want/need.

2. big_D Silver badge

An evaluation of whether the project was a success and whether it is sustainable is warranted. They should look at how the solution is running in the day to day business of the council.

Have they actually saved money? Are the users having specific problems? Are the users happy or unhappy?

I've dealt with upgrades in the past, moving from IBM DisplayWrite IV to WordPerfect 5.1, which was a much better product, we still had a small handfull of users who caused problems, because they knew DW4 inside out and people used to come to them with questions and they were scared of using their status, as everybody went back to square one and had to learn the way the new system worked.

The finance director was shocked at how much the support calls had increased, until we pointed out that, apart from his assistant, calls had actually dropped! She thought, if she could overload the helpdesk with calls, they company would switch back to DW4 - she logged the same problem (by converting from DW to WP the software ignored the set paper size (A4) and switched to Letter, which isn't a standard size in Europe, so the first time a document was opened in WP, the user had to set the paper size manually to A4, otherwise the printer would display an error message and not print) for each and every document she opened.

Her boss tore her down a strip for wasting company money, after that the support calls sank to lower levels than before the upgrade.

So that is the question, the users having problems, are they users genuinely struggling to get to grips with Linux or are they trouble makers who fear they have lost their cachet as the Windows Guru in the change and will do anything to get Windows back?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Windows 8 really did me a favour.

Couple of significant users seemed to think they were loosing out on the upgrades race so they got Win 8 laptops, has really made them go quiet on the new is obviously better theme.

Users complain about software in use.

There is no direct correlation between users complaining and other software being a wise move.

User may complain that "Linux" stopped me hitting that deadline when hangover, distraction, lack of training may have been the bigger cause. The fact there will be financial gains to some vendors jumping ship would certainly be shill bait and call for scrutiny.

I can see that the early adoption may have given them some of the largest mountains to climb and I am grateful for the vision, just feels all wrong to consider users normal (possibly) moaning to get more consideration than a technical review of workflow and project plan based on the facts. Maybe the beards have given up and are drowning under the combined weight of the well incentivised political low brows.

What are the facts, not facebook rants and what is the comparative costs.

1. PJI

Re: I smell a shill - "lack of training may have been the bigger cause"

So training and the time for it is free?

The strength of MS, much as I dislike it, is that even we haters know it and can use it with no training or with the help of a colleague for those awkward cases, with lots of MS documentation on their and other sites.

Linux still shows the gaps. It is still not as complete or consistent as full, genuine UNIX systems of yore. Please do not waste your time arguing. I have decades of experience with both, including a couple of years when I persisted with Linux email in a largish firm, despite the laughable integration with other applications and the workarounds to display common attachment formats. I am using it now for very large, enterprise applications, in a very large financial environment. But for day to day, non-technical or specialised users or office systems (email, calendars, word processing, presentations, spreadsheets, reports, etc), who have not got time at work to work out the simple, daily tasks and work management, Linux as yet does not cut it in comparison with Windows. Large firms have got thousands of employees, with scores of people leaving and joining every day. They need systems that are familiar and easy for most people without expensive training, special set-up, complicated update and security management and expensive, inhouse experts to manage the routine office management.

Personally, I prefer Solaris, OSX, BSd, almost any *ix to most versions of Linux. All this time and effort and the Linux cracks still show. It will be ready for the desktop when it fulfils the user requirements as easily as MS seems to do, with no more effort and knowledge than Windows seems to require of its users and administrators. Licences may be expensive. But so are human specialists and their time, plus much software required on Linux platforms is ported, professional, licensed software - so still cost.

If you believe otherwise, you have not worked in or managed informatics in a company employing more than a dozen or so people who are not all technicians with time to set up and administer their tools instead of working for the company.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"We KNOW the Munich problem has been causing concern in Redmond. One has to wonder what action it has received."

No we don't. If you do then link? It's a tiny contract and near zero have followed down the same path after seeing that it took over a decade to only move 80% of users - and tens of millions of Euros of extra costs to get there with no real benefits. so I doubt it even hit the RADAR.

"They've got some bright, engaged people at Munich. Definitely one to watch."

If they were really any good, presumably they would be working in the real world for twice the money and not for local government...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>If they were really any good, presumably they would be working in the real world for twice the money and not for local government...

Pardon? As one who works for "business", I think you are an idiot. Local Government has a rather bigger, more serious, more critical role than most businesses, even when such businesses are paid by local government to do some jobs.

Almost any business can fail and life carries on regardless unless you are an employee. If local governemnt fails, you get rubbish in the streets, roads becoming unusable, law and order breaking down, education collapsing and much more. Many of the staff are underpaid and too few for the jobs to be done, because people like you will happily pay over the odds for a private business product but resent even one penny of tax to pay for local governent workers and equipment.

Local governement tends to do its job so well that pratts are unaware of how effective it is and hurl abuse willy nilly.

Tell you what, why do n't you work for your local government and make things so much better?

I've worked for state bodies: but for most of my working life I have been with private enterprise. PE is incredibly inefficient, narrow minded and, technically, lacking as "business" prefers not to take risk and loves to save money on the essentials in order to pay the upper echelons and shareholders more than can be justified. Of course there are exceptions and, of course, some civil servants are appalling. But overall, I think we should have the best and brightest managing the infrastrucutre of our lives and society - if that fails, we are in big troubel very quickly, along with the businesses relying on the infrastructure of the society.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Pardon? As one who works for "business", I think you are an idiot."

HAHAHAHAHA. Clearly you have never worked in that environment. Local government is full of the dregs of the workforce who's social disabilities and general lack of competence would preclude them from the mainstream workforce. That's why when they need to get anything done, they hire contractors.

As someone who proclaims that he doesnt know what he is talking about it but makes a statement on it anyway, clearly you are the idiot.

"Tell you what, why do n't you work for your local government and make things so much better?"

I do sometimes - as a contractor.

"PE is incredibly inefficient, narrow minded and, technically, lacking as "business" prefers not to take risk and loves to save money on the essentials"

That doesn't sound like any PE I ever worked for (I have been in telecoms, commodities, investment banking, it services, etc. etc.). It does sounds very much like local government though...

"I think we should have the best and brightest managing the infrastrucutre of our lives and society "

Civil Service pay policy doesn't agree with you.

2. Nuke
            Holmes

Wrote :- "I've worked for state bodies: but for most of my working life I have been with private enterprise. PE is incredibly inefficient ........ Of course there are exceptions and, of course, some civil servants are appalling."

Agreed - I've seen both sides of it too. Small businesses, supposed to be the most efficient of all, ("nimble", "lean" and all that myth), are the worst. The one's I've seen have been owned and run by people who merely inherited them (from perhaps more capable forefathers) and would not employ anyone who they could see were more capable and intelligent than themselves - out of fear and jealousy I suppose.

My wife, a bookkeeper, (very capable, but in a different field from the companies' main businesses) has worked for several small companies (and through them has dealt with many more), and the stories she can tell of their incompetence would make your hair stand on end. According to Free Market theory they should go out of business, but they don't because their rivals are even more incompetent.

Dangerous and illegal working practices are rife in small companies too. Like where she works now, when the HSE safety inspectors call, they park their illicit bottled-gas heaters off-site in the lorry and move a ton of junk away from the fire doors; the inspectors always forewarn their visits because they have been told to "go easy" on small businesses.

3. Anomalous Cowturd
            Holmes

Re: If local government fails, you get rubbish in the streets, roads becoming unusable, etc.

You're not from round here are you?

Welcome to GB 2014...

1. jelabarre59

Re: If local government fails, you get rubbish in the streets, roads becoming unusable, etc.

> You're not from round here are you?

> Welcome to GB 2014...

Or NYC since forever...

2. Rick Giles
          Linux

"...it took over a decade to only move 80%..."

Ah, the old tired adage, or should I say FUD, used by all the MS shill/Fanbois/Wintards.

Of course it took time you moron. They first had to consolidate all their disparate IT camps that were using a Wintel environment and then move forward with a migration. Gov is about as maneuverable as an aircraft carrier. It takes time to turn.

As for the real world, most of it is locked into Microsofts crack, er, licensing.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly. My first thought on reading the article was 'how much is this costing microsoft?' It is just too convenient considering the problems microsoft are having at the moment.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" A handful of "shop stewards" could easily drum up a bit of noise."

WTF do 'shop stewards' have to do with any of this?

If anything Open Source 'free' software is a truimph of socialist idiology, while Microsoft (and all it's vile works) are the vanguard of capatilist oppression.

1. jelabarre59

> If anything Open Source 'free' software is a truimph of socialist idiology, <

Actually, if anything OpenSource is far more libertarian; open and voluntary co-operation on an agreed-upon goal. You can be free to not participate, or to branch off in your own direction.

7. Daniel von Asmuth
        Trollface

Microsoft is considering to move its german headquarters from Unterschleißheim to nearby München (Munich). Wouldn't it be nice if the city government got rid of those pesky penguinheads?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Zimbra. That product which is so wonderful, VMware couldn't wait to be rid of it.

As VMware partners, my company decided to deploy this piece of garbage when they still owned it. First we gave users the web client, but they all wanted Outlook. Then we found that if using the Outlook connector there is no online option. All mail must be downloaded to a local ZDB (just a renamed PST file). As soon as you start adding shared mailboxes, it caches them as well.

If you try to store the ZDB files on a network location they will break.

This makes it totally unusable in any RDSH/VDI deployments unless you give the user a dedicated VDI machine with a disk big enough to hold the ZDB. The terabytes of disk space we would have had to add to our RDS hosts to cache all these mailboxes on EVERY server made the product a joke.

When this issue was raised with Zimbra support they showed a complete lack on interest.

We have now moved back to Exchange which gives you the option of running in online mode.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To the people who have down voted my comments on Zimbra, I would be interested in knowing why. They are based on my companies experience of attempting to use this product in a real world enterprise RDS/VDI environment. It simply isn't suitable.

Is anything I have said inaccurate? If so, please feel free to correct me.

1. Stephen Stagg

My Take would be because the only provided options were: webmail or Outlook.

It's no surprise that Outlook doesn't play nice with third party servers when the email client vendor happens to also sell an email(/groupware) server solution..

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like