back to article Take the shame: Microsofties ADMIT to playing Internet Explorer name-change game

Internet Explorer could be getting a new name as Microsoft tries to escape the browser’s troubled past. One of Redmond’s IE engineers copped to the news during an AMA on Reddit late last week. Asked whether Microsoft had ever considered rebranding IE, browser engineer Jonathan Sampson 'fessed up that, after nearly 20 years, …

Page:

1. John Savard

Condition

It's all right with me if Microsoft brings out another browser with a new name.

Just start from a whole new code base, and omit the ActiveX support. Then calling it by a different name can legitimately be seen as not being an attempt to hoodwink the consumer.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Condition

Reminds me of the hitchhiker's guide episode:

Arthur Dent: "You mean you have a solution"

Ford Prefect: "No, I just knocked the bottle of wine over. But I do have a new name for our problem!!"

Quite a common marketing ploy of course. Re-brand your product once you have realised the brand name has become a liability rather than an asset.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ActiveX support in the browser can easily be classified as one of the biggest Microsoft mistakes of all time, even worse than TIFKAM.

Allowing any kind of code execution, (even installation of binaries!!!) inside something like a browser is bad enough from a security standpoint. Convenient it may be, but increases the attack surface by an order of magnitude. We have had enough JavaScript and Java vulnerabilities to prove that.

Allowing native, binary code execution inside the browser is the next level in hell and plain horrible. Exhibit A: the "fixes" for that mistake developed over time ("trust zones", "killbits" and who knows what else) are nasty kludges that get in the way of what a browser can be used to.

Microsoft should have dropped ActiveX support in IE5, or perhaps in the latest IE4 service pack. Instead they choose to keep it for compatibility sake. Had the few apps developed at the time been forced to move away from using ActiveX controls inside the browser at that time they'd saved an incredible of man hours in developing and patching.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"and omit the ActiveX support."

That's rarely an issue these days. Over 90% of desktop / laptop exploits in the last year involved Java....

1. Steve Knox

"and omit the ActiveX support."

That's rarely an issue these days. Over 90% of desktop / laptop exploits in the last year involved Java....

...which in IE is implemented as an ActiveX control...

1. Bob Vistakin
          Facepalm

Just extend the name

IIIIIEEEEE!

The sound a dying company chucking itself off a cliff makes.

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Just extend the name

"The sound a dying company chucking itself off a cliff makes."

Nope, they all just go "SPLAT".

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"...which in IE is implemented as an ActiveX control..."

No, it isn't. Only the JRE launcher is an Active-X control. And there have been no recent holes in that.

Hence why the vast majority of Java JRE holes are cross browser and usually cross platform .

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"90% of exploits involve Java"

... which as you know (and already commented) it is implemented as an ActiveX control?

And Java is now the target of exploits only because 90% of exploits first involved Active X, then 90% of exploits involved JavaScript, then 90% of exploits involved Adobe Acrobat. Now 90% of exploits involve Java because all the other, easier, avenues have already been exploited. From time to time a ghost from the past resurfaces as a "using memory after freed" JavaScript exploit or exotic combination of content in JPG/PDF content that triggers some buffer overrun.

Exploits are developed according to its difficulty and popularity of the software being exploited. ActiveX was by far the easier to exploit and universally available thanks to the market dominance of IE. And it only became sort of secure by making it close to unusable except in corporate environments with dedicated support staff who can afford to spend the time in making the right incantations in IE configuration.

3. Morrie Wyatt
        FAIL

Rarely an issue?

Try Honeywell's security camera recorder web interface. It requires Java AND ActiveX.

The worst of both worlds, it requires IE, and makes no guarantees about running on any recent version of that.

Internet Explorer rename?

A sows ear by any other name will still never be a silk purse, and will still smell just as bad.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why not call it "Sellafield" ?

5. P. Lee

MS' problem is the Standards. The more compliant to Standards a browser is, the more you are compelled to compete on features the user wants or else just become part of the wallpaper. With Standards, the better you are, the less distinctive you are and the less brand awareness you have.

Of course, with so much media being offered over the web, MS finds that non-paying, end-user customers are less lucrative than its paying DRM-requiring or advert-requiring customers.

Thinking about my own preferences, on Windows, I install FF specifically for noscript and ad-block. Cross-platform GUI similarities also make it and Chrom(e/ium) easy to use. I install Chrome for its good IE compatability/Windows integration for corporate sites and for research, its adobe compatibility and simplicity. IE hits me with yahoo's home page. Easy to turn off, but I hate it and it just turns me off the whole experience so I just avoid it. It's probably a good browser but I just don't use it. Indeed, calling it Internet Explorer makes me thing its a bolt-on to (file) Explorer, like Konquorer is/was. It get nervous using what was supposed to be a local tool to access internet stuff. I like separate between the OS and the application.

6. mrweekender

They could just call it "Wank" - because we all know it will be so just cut to the fucking chase Microsoft.

1. Timmy Cratchit
        Windows

I've always found "Idiot Exploiter" to be profoundly pithy, succinct and almost supernaturally accurate. Comes with the huge advantage of retaining the existing "IE" abbreviation too. Perfect!.. so they won't choose that then.

No doubt $MSFT will want to *appear* high-brow and businesslike. So, what about "Iliua Equi"?

2. Jad

New browser names:

In no particular order (names I've heard it called):

1) "Internet thingy"

2) "the world icon that opens the internet"

3) "Windows Internet"

4) "internet"

5) "the internet"

6) "facebook"

7) "twitter"

8) "google"

9) "search"

1. Stuart 22

Re: New browser names:

There is an excellent browser called BROWSER on Android. Maybe they could buy that for a little less than Nokia. And have perpetual rights to the name?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The could call it Windroid?

Much like Lindows :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Please not the Bing Browser, I'm begging you.

Bing is the lamest name in the history of IT, even apple couldn't make it cool.

1. P. Lee

> Bing is the lamest name in the history of IT

Also, in "Friends."

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
          Devil

"Please not the Bing Browser, I'm begging you."

MS Bob (Browser of Bing)

3. Dr Scrum Master
          Coat

> Please not the Bing Browser, I'm begging you.

> Bing is the lamest name in the history of IT, even apple couldn't make it cool.

They've had Bob, now Bing, so next up is Dorothy.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
      Happy

The only people who know what it's called don't use it. Doesn't really matter what they call it.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Bernardo Sviso

Not bad -- but Google already has dibs on that one.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thinking of ease of use for phone support*:

"The Big E"

*otherwise known as any call involving a relative not using a mac.

1. Michael Thibault

"bloo-ey"?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Big E is taken. It is the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise, a.k.a. the Quarter-Mile-Island.

Well, it could work since you probably can't avoid it, and it's been dropping cluster-bombs (and all other sorts of bombs, for that matter) on your premises for the last decade. And it employs 5000 - odd people.

Except people on the real big E are extremely competent and can also provide disaster relief at catastrophy-stricken places if need be, which MS can't.

I will leave the backronym exercises to our expert El Reg readers, but we could call this new browser by C.R.A.P. or B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T. or B.A.R.F.

5. Horridbloke

10) "the thing"

(True story.)

1. TheOtherHobbes

11. Internet Exploiter

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New browser names

How's about 'Max Power'? It worked for Homer.....

7. Steve Evans

Maybe they should just adopt the name many of us have called it for years...

Exploder.

8. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

10) "Firefox installer".

9. TheMole

Might I add :

10) "the thing you use to download a proper web browser onto a new Windows pc"

10. revdjenk

Since...

...I use Linux, I still won't / can't run whatever they call it!

11. Fungus Bob
      Windows

Bing Thing

3. Rich 2 Silver badge

What SHOULD Microsoft call its browser?

Shite?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What SHOULD Microsoft call its browser?

"Chrome/Firefox Downloader"

2. sorry, what?
      Coat

Or "Infernal Excrement" so they can keep the acronym going?

3. FuzzyTheBear

Titanic :)

4. FlatSpot

Internet Bloater

5. PleebSmash

Internet Extruder

Trident Blink

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. elDog

Sort of goes along with IANIE (I am not IE) which is derived from I Ain't No Lawyer (IANAL).

4. ratfox
    Angel

maybe they should call it…

Off.

1. VinceH

Re: maybe they should call it…

Only if they first change the company name to "Piss", "Sod" or "Fuck".

5. Herer

big blue E

Big blue E

BlueeeeeeY

KABLOOOOOOOEEEEEEY

Or, just 'bleugh'.

1. Pookietoo

Re: big blue E

"Big Blue" is already taken.

6. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Coat

I'd call it "Spinal Tap"

because it goes all the way up to 11

1. BlueGreen

Re: I'd call it "Spinal Tap"

Aren't spinal taps very, very painful and unpleasant?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: I'd call it "Spinal Tap"

"Aren't spinal taps very, very painful and unpleasant?"

And you point is?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like