back to article Intel launches Internet of Stuff Parkinson's research project

Intel has teamed up with the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research to test a way to use the Internet of Stuff for a useful end – to help find a cure for the second most prevalent neurodegenerative disease in the world. Youtube Video So far, wearable tech and the much-vaunted "Internet of Things" label (IoT) – or …

1. sqlartist

Brain pacemaker

I have had two of the devices that are used to treat Parkinson's implanted in my brain for the past 8 years. Its currently been removed in favour of the deep brain stimulator which is also used for Parkinson's treatment. I suffer from cluster Headaches and am in pain 12 hours of the day and when the implant is switched on the pain goes away. Its the same for Parkinson's - switch the device on and the tremors disappear. I met someone with Tourette's who switched it on for the first time and to see them stop ticking was amazing.

One problem is something called Neuroplasticity - where the brain is clever enough to route around the implanted electrodes and thus return the original symptoms.

Some interesting things used to happen - I could bring down Wi-Fi networks by walking into a room, I used to set off those shop security detectors and all sorts of weird stuff I couldn't prove was the device but it was too much of a coincidence to dismiss. The device manufacturer was always disinterested ijn any feedback.

The later models had their own IP Address which was a way to get the data off remotely rather than by the Neuro programmer which had to sit on the patient's skin. This was a concern and was how the heart pacemaker was hacked in the TV Show Homeland. The brain version wasn't producing anything that could kill someone so was only a minor security issue.

I am waiting for the deep brain version - approved for past 3 years but NHS have run out of money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brain pacemaker

Thanks for the insight. My Father was diagnosed with Parkinsons just before he retired in 1980. It was really sad to watch his demise. Thanksfullt I don't seem to have the gene that caused him and his father before him to suffer with this horrible disease.

The advances in the treatment that have been made in recent years have been really fantastic but still not there.

Now if we could get the same focus on finding a decent treatment to my very rare Leukaemia I'd be happy. By decent I mean 'non-chemo'.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. MyffyW Silver badge

I have to applaud anything to help with this condition. A friend's Mother recently passed away after twenty-plus years living with Parkinson's. Makes you realise the limits of our current ingenuity, whilst challenging us to do better.

1. RealFred

Is there anywhere we can get more info on this research project

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like