back to article What FTC lawsuit? T-Mobile US touts 10GB, $100 family-of-4 plan

T-Mobile US reckons it has undercut its larger rivals with a discounted family plan to give four lines and 10GB of shared mobile data for $100 monthly. The carrier claims its new family plan will be $60 cheaper than those of AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. The $100 package gives each user 2.5GB per month and includes T-Mob's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not quite

Share the data plan across all devices and I'm interested. Equal allocation? No thanks. With three phones and two tablets in the family, and one of each of those having a teenager on the other end, our data use simply isn't equally distributed. I'll pay for way more data than I use on some of the devices and come up woefully short on others. Gee, it's almost like the plan was designed that way...

1. Tom 35

Re: Not quite

I don't know if I'd want to share a data pool with a teenager...

2. Acme Fixer

T-mo has a family plan through Walmart that is unlimited, however they kick you down to 3g if you go over the cap. I get my single phone for $30 a month, but with only 100 mins talk time.

1. phil dude
        Thumb Up

I have the $50 unlimited talk/text/internet, and I get 1GB before it goes down to 3G.

I have never even come close to using up my allocation, since wifi is chosen preferentially.

If I were netflixing sure.... I believe the music doesn't count against the allocation..

T-mobile have been far more flexible and less annoying than ATT, who I really *really* wish I could ditch, except for the strand of oxidising copper I "rent" from them monthly...

P.

2. Andrew Norton

All they need to do now is expand their coverage so people can actually use it.

I'm on Verizon, and even in this backwards area of Georgia, in a town of 270, I have a 4G connection. Friend has T-Mobile, and lives in Marietta, in a pretty urban area, has trouble keeping a signal; in the greater metro Atlanta area, she has signal at interstates and US highways only, most of the time.

Until they actually start covering areas, it won't matter how great their plans are.

1. Efros

With you on that one, I have 1 real choice locally, USCellular, if I want pain and strife I could go with tracfone.

2. phil dude
      Pint

agree...

I agree, when I get into the woods down there on the Georgia border and other places... Although my phone will pickup ATT when it cannot get T-mobile, which is strange, as they have no means to charge me!!

In Maryland and Virginia it has been pretty consistent.

A PAYG virgin mobile is a nice backup with their "landfill android" plan, so if it works where you live...

P.

1. Andrew Norton

Re: agree...

"Although my phone will pickup ATT when it cannot get T-mobile, which is strange, as they have no means to charge me!!"

Sure they do. Your phone isn't anonymous, AT&T just bill T-mob at a massive rate for roaming, and T-Mob adds a bit more on for being disloyal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like