back to article Who should do security clearance checks? Did you say 'chat-bot'? This military slinger hopes so

A study linked to a military IT contractor has backed the use of chat-bots for screening US government security clearance applicants. The fresh research, conducted by Uncle Sam's National Center for Credibility Assessment and military contractor Mantech International, found that subjects were more forthcoming when speaking to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of their ever lovin minds!

It's bad enough that Office of Personnel Management (OPM) won't leave enough time for any contactor to delve deeply into clients backgrounds (According to them you should be doing 3 background checks a day, including travel time don't you know). Now there is a possible IT solution that doesn't take breaks, lunch or vacations but can't tell the difference between a lie and a misstatement because it's not human.

They would be deliberately trying to get bad candidates if OPM uses this severely flawed, LAZY methodology.

Anyone you really have to worry ( Ed Snowden) about is NOT going to be "forthcoming" about anything.

1. Mark 85

Re: Out of their ever lovin minds!

I agree, but it's not about reality.. it's about profit!!!!

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But the current system is perfect.

Candidate 1 - no knowledge of the system, field, language or any noticable skills - but has clearance. Has sat in the same job for 20years having clearance automatically renewed.

Candidate 2 - has skills but no clearance. Hire them and have them sit in the breakroom for 9 months while waiting for clearance.

Guess who gets hired. Now guess how good government IT systems are.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was reading this as automating the SF-86, which could absolutely be a good thing. I'm wondering, tho, if the chat-bot would give time for research? (Like I seriously remember the address for Corporate HQ for a position 4 companies back, when I never stepped foot in Corporate).

2. The Dude
    Coat

Robot interviews

Nothing new in this. Over the years, I've been to several interviews conducted by HR robots.

1. tony2heads
      Terminator

Re: Robot interviews

No, they are referred to as 'droids'

1. Hargrove

Re: Robot interviews

. . . or mayhap, zombies:

On a serious note, it is hard to draw conclusions from this one isolated test scenario. Findings like this make interesting headlines and newsbytes, but rarely go beyond that. The report suggests some interesting lines of research. If only we had the attention span and capability to pursue it systematically.

It would be interesting to have data on several points:

How having gone through the process with pencil and paper affected the second pass through; and what would have happened if the sequence had been reversed.

There is clearly a technological dimension--an observation is that people are often post things that they would never say or do in person.

But variability in the user's facility with the mode of entry may also play a role. In the US at least, there are school districts where cursive writing is no longer taught. We have an 17 year old grandson, who cannot read our letters. (He gets A's in his courses). On the other hand I had a colleague whose technophobia was so intense that she literally could not force herself to press a key on the keyboard. Facility with the mode will directly affect the subjects "productivity."

An overarching problem (IMHO a direct cause of the IT failures that were the subject of another post) is that there are serious gaps in our understanding of how the human system interface works, and rarely, in my experience take time to think it through.

This is getting worse rather than better.

3. Herby

Well known.

Talking to a "non-person" is a process. The mentioned process indicated that people were more likely to "open up" when a non-person was the other party. Sure it sounds stupid, but it actually does work. This non-person is a (very) disinterested entity much like a psychiatrist is in normal like. Kinda like "Dear Abby" for security, but a two-way conversation.

The other fact is that if the responses are "stress tested" one can tell the suckers subjects state of mind and the truthfulness of the answers.

Caveat: HR Droids are almost as devoid of smarts as well. Use with caution.

Note to self: Relax!

1. Crisp

Re: HR Droids are almost as devoid of smarts as well.

Well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

So chatbots wired to lie dectectors make more effective HR droids.

Oh dear

This looks like a very bad day for HR droids.

I must get out my thumb violin and play a concerto.

Thumbs down (Roman Emperor style) for HR.

1. Simon Harris

Re: So chatbots wired to lie dectectors make more effective HR droids.

"This looks like a very bad day for HR droids."

It would seem these aren't the droids the US government is looking for.

5. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Boffin

My, hasn't Eliza grown..

"A tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping, Why is that?"

"Finally, do you like cake, for science?"

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

Re: My, hasn't Eliza grown..

Let me tell you about my mother...

... BANG! BANG!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"Earlier you said you were banging your mother?"

1. Bloakey1

""Earlier you said you were banging your mother?""

"Tell me about your sister!"

I like the program that functioned as a Rogerian Psychotherapist. Rogerian eyy, nudge nudge, wink wink.

I think a program such as this would Doolittle <sic> to help.

How does a machine detect body language, subtle nuances in speech etc. This could possibly filter out some but certainly not the clever ones.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

I was just thinking about this exact scene when I read the headline. Sorry Leon!

6. Don Jefe

-Thank you for you applying. What is your name?

/ You may address me as Don Jefe.

- Hello You may address me as Don Jefe. Let's get started with your security screening.

- Do you have tangible assets of $10,000 or more held by financial institutions outside the United States?

/ Yes

- Your security assessment is complete and your clearance been approved. Please contact registration@federalbackgroundchecks.ng with your bank account details, SSN, a copy of your drivers license and a copy of your passport and your preferred mailing address. Upon receipt of those things your Security Clearance Card will be mailed to you.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

So basically Eliza in Camo?

8. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The Inquisitor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tGO79BtWUI

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this is news ?

16 years ago, I had a back pain. After a referral to my local orthopaedic hospital, I went for an assessment. I was asked if I would be happy to take part in a new initiative they were trialling. Which was to ask the patient to complete a computer based survey. Apparently they had known for some time that patients are way more honest filling in a computer questionnaire than they would ever be in conversation with a doctor.

1. Bloakey1

Re: And this is news ?

<snip>

" Apparently they had known for some time that patients are way more honest filling in a computer questionnaire than they would ever be in conversation with a doctor."

I once wrote a program in POP 11 that identified what poison / poisonous plant etc. someone had ingested and it was a similar setup. There was less scope for the ambiguities of common parlance and argot this achieveing a more accurate result (1.).

1. 'Twas deadly nightshade wot did it guv.

10. Caesarius
    Big Brother

Where to apply the electrodes

Which way is the flow of energy?

(PS: I know the title is a mis-quote)

11. Otto is a bear.

Hang on.

It's all well and good using a machine, but isn't it also easier to lie to a machine, so yes I might not mind telling a machine about my vices, but then I could probably lie more convincingly to it than to a human.

If I was vetting someone for high level security clearance I'd want to look them in they eye and ask "is golf really an appropriate hobby in Luton". (Apologies to Monty Python)

12. earl grey
    Flame

standard polygraph tests

I thought these were pretty much proved to be hokum a long time ago. You mean some poor mis-guided soul still uses them? Shame.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like