Why Apple will continue to kick the PC manufacturers arse

This topic was created by Stuart 39 .

1. Stuart 39

Why Apple will continue to kick the PC manufacturers arse

Recently, after splurging over a grand on a Thinkpad running 8.1, knowing the quality of them and having owned 2, I went back to Apple. The Thinkpad I got had just the worst quality construction. Plastic hinges, the loudest most inaccurate trackpad known to man and a battery life less than 2.5 hours.

With the Apple hardware, it was a breath of fresh air. It just works and there is no abomination called Metro. I get 6 hours plus, even when hammering it with Fusion VMs and all manner of other pap.

I am no fanboy but I enjoy the products. Yes, they are expensive (but a similarly non home spec Dell wasn't too far off the MBP price), but they work. You can feel the superior quality. Aluminum rather than some crappy plastic bits that break off. OS updates that cost next to nothing wheras MS comes in at a whopping £80+ for standard retail boxes.

What really made it for me thought was that the macbook just failed one night, after 15 days of usage. I took it back to the Apple store and they just swapped it. No messing about. A straight swap and a sincere apology. Can you imagine ever getting that from Dell ? No, I don't think so.

Small one man (or woman) businesses will buy Apple because it's good stuff, and almost every app seems to be web based these days, so no real issues. Just plug in and go. No fighting with the OS to just actually be useful.

I will now brace for a downvote, for the haters that want to make their lives a misery using 8.1 on the nasty plastic crap.

1. DidierAubin87
      Happy

Re: Why Apple will continue to kick the PC manufacturers arse

Not sure if Apply can do it or not but PC manufacturers still grow up, Apple also is there but it is really hard to make it happen

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's a new one on me, but I've not had a working laptop for a while so maybe it's a new thing that trackpads make any noise at all.

I have to say, though, that I've never been impressed by Apple build standards, or reliability and that's a problem if you don't live near an Apple store.

3. Frank Nicklin

Anonymous Coward.

Not sure why you have never been impressed by Apple's build standards, they are a feat of engineering excellence, agreed at a price, but when was the last time anything fell off an Apple device. They are solid well built machines. They will out last most Microsoft driven devices and generally have a good resale value.

4. doanvankha

PC of Apple very expensive than other manufacture. But it very good for job and entertain

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon