back to article 'Apple is terrified of women’s bodies and women’s pleasure' – fresh tech sex storm

Apple is weathering a sexism storm after its website apparently refused to engrave a raunchy poem on a newly ordered iPhone. Enraged that the California giant allowed penis, dick and similar words to be engraved on mobes – but, crucially, not clit – men and women in favour of equal opportunities have given Apple boss Tim Cook …

Page:

1. Dabooka
    Meh

The "joke"

Is it meant to be "IT'S SO RI-DICK-ULOUS!".

Didn't say it was funny.......

1. weebs

Re: The "joke"

That's why I came to the message board. Instantly reminded of "Come fly with Me". If you'll pardon the pun.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My guess is that Apple products are already too well associated with cunts for their liking....

3. wbaw

Punany

2. Anonymous Blowhard

So if you want your address engraving, it's OK if you live in Penistone but not if you live in Scunthorpe?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

not if you live in Scunthorpe?

And if you live here don't even think about engraving your address on the back

1. Kane
        Thumb Up

@Mahatma Coat

See Also

Tickle Cock Bridge

2. tomban

Is Slutshole ok?

http://www.faversham.org/community/villages/hernhill.aspx

3. tkioz

I think the obvious solution would be to simply ban the offending words for man bits, then everyone can be unhappy. But seriously, if you're getting an iPhone engraved like it was a bit of jewellery you're a moron anyway.

1. The BigYin

The simplest solutions...

...would be to not censor anything. Let people engrave sex organs, hate speech, whatever.

If they want to pay over the odds to make themselves look like monumental dobbers, then who is Apple to stop them?

Reminds me of the story where Nike (I think) banned the word "sweatshop" from its customer embroidery service.

1. DocJames

Nike sweatshop shoes

Jonah Peretti, later founded buzzfeed, asked for the sweatshop trainers.

http://www.inc.com/video/201108/how-i-did-it-jonah-peretti.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"But seriously, if you're getting an iPhone engraved like it was a bit of jewellery you're a moron anyway."

Really? I think it's a good way of making your device unique and identifiable. Think of it this way.You have 2 100% identical looking iPads, one is your dads and contains nude photos of your mum as the background, the other is yours...both have no battery left and your chargers are no where to be found...Do you feel lucky punk? well? Do ya?

1. Nuke
        Meh

Wrote :- "I think it's a good way of making your device unique and identifiable. Think of it this way.You have 2 .. identical ... iPads, one is your dads and .... the other is yours"

Ever heard of Dymotape?

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

You have 2 100% identical looking iPads, one is your dads and contains nude photos of your mum as the background, the other is yours...both have no battery left and your chargers are no where to be found...

An interesting hypothetical situation to be sure. Lets analyse this scenario...

"You have 2 100% identical looking iPads". If this is indeed the case, then I'd suggest you not only have too much money, but are a sucker for punishment. In any case, as any fule kno, apple products are already uniquely identifiable by the pattern of fractures in the glass fronts.

one is your dads and contains nude photos of your mum as the background, the other is yours. Well, what a stylish chap your father appears to be. Certainly, if I had nude pictures of my spouse on any device, I wouldn't leave it lying around, particularly not if other family members were about. Lets not even start on what a hideously gauche thing to do this would be in the first place, and not dwell on what your mother might think about your father acting in such a way.

both have no battery left and your chargers are no where to be found. Maybe it's time for apple to accept that the de facto standard charger is the micro-usb cable, and stop fleecing its customers for custom cables? Stop laughing there at the back!

1. Havin_it
          Trollface

@Loyal Commenter

>Lets not even start on what a hideously gauche thing to do this would be in the first place, and not dwell on what your mother might think about your father acting in such a way.

Tim, is that you? ;)

Well, probably not, given your apparent disdain for iThings, but seriously man, lighten up! Try not to be so British. One thing none of us can deny about our parents is that, at one time at least, they found each other attractive. And they did the nasty. Yes they did. Sleep well ;)

3. Ben Rosenthal

In that scenario, it's time you moved out.

3. Nuke
      Facepalm

@tkioz

Wrote :- "I think the obvious solution would be to simply ban the offending words for man bits, then everyone can be unhappy.

The obvious solution would be for people to let Apple decide what they will and won't do within their own premises, and if you want something they won't do then go to a local engraver to get it done. If you have an argument with the local engraver then at least it won't be World news.

Oh, I suppose I've missed the point - the feminists want to manufacture world news wherever possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @tkioz

"if you want something they won't do then go to a local engraver to get it done"

That would have been my first thought and exactly what I would do if I cared enough. If I paid out that sort of money for a device then it would be mine to deface in whatever manner I found amusing at the time. A lot of the appeal of iKit is the "let them handle the tricky stuff" ethos and I suppose that people shouldn't moan if Apple handles whatever it is in a way that suits them. It is sexist and probably should be changed; but it's only a couple of crappy lines of text. With a halfway decent engraver you can have graphics and customise it properly.

2. southen bastard

Re: @tkioz

The answer is easy ban apple!!

4. Pedigree-Pete

iPhione

"But seriously, if you're getting an iPhone you're a moron anyway."

TFTFY

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Christ

Work it out. It's because words for male genitalia are ok and words for female genitalia are banned. Clearly sexist.

1. Philip Lewis

Dick, cock, and so on have perfectly normal non-vulgar/sexual meanings.

Clit, and the other c word do not.

The problem with rabid feminists is they see sexism everywhere.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Dick, cock, and so on have perfectly normal non-vulgar/sexual meanings.

Clit, and the other c word do not.

The problem with rabid feminists is they see sexism everywhere.

However, as stated in the article, Apple accept 'penis', but not 'vagina'.

The problem with misogynists is that they often refuse to accept that sexism exists, even when it is pointed out to them.

To be perfectly clear here, the same applies to misandrists (I once heard a 'feminist' acquaintance claim that there is no such thing as misandry, which ironically is a very sexist thing to say, particularly for someone who claims to rail against sexism).

1. Philip Lewis

Actually, the article does not mention vagina at all, that is something qoted from a tweet, therefore heresay and not really part of the article. I have no idea whether is is true or not, but the article makes no such claim.

So, this fact makes your assertion "Apple accept 'penis', but not 'vagina'" incorrect on the basis of the information asserted in the article.

The article is specifically about the abbreviated form of the word clitoris (clit), and one (for some people) slightly embarrassing correct word for the male appendage, penis.

The problem with people with an axe to grind, is they grind it without engaging their brains first. That's usually the dead give away.

Have a nice weekend.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Wow, moiety is a hermaphrodite? Who knew?

5. petur
    Coat

"dick" is OK

because the ipad sucks?

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

I prefer a Schrödinger's Pussy

Apple is TERRIFIED of women’s bodies

Frankly, who isn't?

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Frankly, who isn't?

I'm not! If my memory serves me correctly....

7. eSeM

iTwat appears to be acceptable ....

:)

8. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Well, well.

It's amazing what one can get through the content filters here...

GJC

1. Michael Habel

Re: Well, well.

It's amazing what one can get through the content filters here.

What Filters?!

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Filters?

I think the Register's system inserts rude words into posts automatically; I definitely didn't write "cunt" here.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

The filters at my office.

GJC

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Facepalm

Goodness. Three downvotes for two of the most innocuous, content-free posts I have ever posted anywhere. Strange ol' game, this...

GJC

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this really Apple gender discrimination rubbing out

The clit, or is the iPhone engraving software just designed to reject really, really poor verse?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Is this really Apple gender discrimination rubbing out

They have a primordial sin guilt complex - a woman, an apple etc. I suspect their servers will self-destruct if anyone tries to ask them to engrave "serpent" on an iThingy...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Vladimir

Not self-destruct, they will drag their users down to the darkest pits of hell -or maybe even spontaneously install Windows 8.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Anonymous Coward

<QUOTE>Not self-destruct, they will drag their users down to the darkest pits of hell -or maybe even spontaneously install Windows 8.</QUOTE>

Pffft! I'd rather have windows 8 shoved up my posterior on a red hot USB stick than own an iThing...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can we lay this tired old meme to rest? It was almost certainly a pomegranate, not an apple. People in the distant past tended not to distinguish fruit as we do - but I believe there are some very old pictures of what is possibly the origin myth borrowed by the Bible, and the fruit shown is a pomegranate.

Would they have done as well if named Pomegranate Computer? At least they wouldn't have been sued by Apple Corp.

1. BongoJoe

The story that I heard back in the late 70s was that Jobs was eating an apple at the time and they looked at it when they were deciding on the name and they chose that. Hence the bitemarks at the time.

I looks like one of those tastefless foam filled Washington apples to me. Certainly not a pomegranate.

2. Teiwaz

Almost certainly a pomegranate. Cut one in half, and it resembles female genitalia. Cut an apple in half (across the core) and all you get is a vague pentangle.

The symbolism of the apple and knowledge either go deeper than the translation of that myth, or they wanted to replace the frankly obvious symbolism of a woman biting into a pomegranate and gaining the 'knowledge' of her sexuality.

People in the distant past may not have distinguished fruit as we do (well, they didn't have marketing departments, lucky buggers) but i can safely say that it wasn't a banana. If banana had been the 'fruit of knowledge', I'm sure all that would have been learnt was good technique and mouth ulcers should she do it too often.

The 60's are over though, and we're deep in another 'puritan' era. For different reasons than the earlier ones. Companies don't want to challenge possible majority morals in case it impacts sales or causes a PC furor and results in bad publicity.

It's long been accepted that slang'names for male genitals are acceptable but slang terms for female genitals are not. Alternative comedians in the 80's found this out, attempted to fight it and made no impact really, as here we are, 30 years later.

If Apple were a British company, maybe they'd have more whimsy. Or if Apple were not so big and intransient (look to AppStore policing for obvious prior-art).

Peace, Out.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"slang'names for male genitals are acceptable"

Surely, you mean schlang names?

2. Don Jefe

A pomegranate cut in half looks like disease ridden female genitalia. It's OK to have second thoughts if you see a vagina that looks like that. Now a sheep on the other hand, that's a dead ringer for an Eskimo with her pants half down.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
              WTF?

Re: Is this really Apple gender discrimination rubbing out @ Don Jefe

A pomegranate cut in half looks like disease ridden female genitalia. It's OK to have second thoughts if you see a vagina that looks like that. Now a sheep on the other hand, that's a dead ringer for an Eskimo with her pants half down.

see icon

3. asiaseen

You must have seen some very strange female genitalia if you see the representation in a halved pomegranate. As for biting into one, not an attractive proposition - all those seeds and interstitial stuff.

3. beep54

By the same logic, consider Shicklgruber. It is rather hard to imagine a mass of Germans shouting, "Heil Shicklgruber!" Also, it really doesn't matter whether it is an apple, a pomegranate or even a banana. The Bible is pure myth in the first place.

2. Stoneshop
      Flame

The clit, or is the iPhone engraving software just designed to reject really, really poor verse?

OK, then it should coredump or even catch fire on being fed some Vogon poetry.

10. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Joke

Mugger proof?

Mugger. "I'm sorry, but this so offensive. Here - take your phone back".

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like