back to article F1? No, it's Formula E as electric racing cars hit the track

Electric motorsport is finally getting some of the attention given its internal combustion engine brother with the first day of testing of the new Formula E taking place at Donington Park Racing Circuit in Derby. It will be a while before we see an actual race in the UK, though. That’s not going to be until 27 June 2015, and …

Page:

1. Pisartis
    Thumb Down

I enjoyed the British Grand Prix yesterday, but I couldn't care less about milk float racing.

1. Michael Habel

So how many laps can these Milk Floats make before they KO themselves out with a +16h recharge? Or does "Formula E" have the means to replace not only flat Tires, but the Batteries too?

1. James 51

they could build wireless charging into the tracks and then they'd never need to stop to refuel.

1. Rob

So you are basically proposing a real life size version of Scalextric, can the drivers stand by the side of the track with a trigger controller ;-)

1. James 51

The whole point of the life sized option is that you can get into the cars!

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
          Joke

Dodging the issue...

A metal pole on the back and some chicken wire over the track and they're sorted.

3. Natalie Gritpants

Screw wireless lets build big Scalextric

4. big_D Silver badge

they could build wireless charging into the tracks and then they'd never need to stop to refuel.

I had that when I was a kid, it was called Scalextric

5. Caaaptaaaain kick arse

scalectrix

Thems were the days!!

1. James Hughes 1

Re: scalectrix

In order to do a 20 minute race in my race car, I had to install a larger fuel tank. (at about 10mpg)

So 25 minutes in one of these is plenty. The vast majority of races are less than that.

6. nobby

good idea

yes!

you could do this by putting two metal strips down the middle of the track.

you could even put a groove between them to help the cars keep onto the line.

maybe you'd need a pair of the strips, one on each side of the track.

hmm.. reminds me of something i've got at home in fact

7. itzman

super scalextric?

2. hammarbtyp

Battery Times

Each car can go around 25 minutes on a full charge at race speed. Since races are expected to be an hour long, each driver will have 2 cars and swap during pitting(The batteries take 45 min to recharge)

I do realise that i have broken the unwritten reg rule of answering sarcasm with facts, but the truth is motor sport is a great test bed and i am sure energy management and reclamation will become an important part of the racing which hopefully will filter down to normal cars.

1. WraithCadmus

Re: Battery Times

I'm told they change over whole vehicles in MotoGP (changing the back tire on a bike is a clart?) so there's precedent for full-vehicle pit-stops.

1. lotus49

That is indeed true but they only do to change onto a "wet" bike i.e. when it starts pissing it down and they need bikes with wets and a wet setup.

It also used to be the case that F1 teams had a spare car that they could use if a car were badly damaged.

I don't know why this story brought El Reg's churls out in force but I see no reason why this couldn't be a genuinely interesting formula. I'll make my judgement when I see the first race and I shall look forward to it.

2. Michael Habel

Each car can go around 25 minutes on a full charge at race speed. Since races are expected to be an hour long, each driver will have 2 cars and swap during pitting(The batteries take 45 min to recharge)

Assuming this is the case... Then when can we expect Tesla to implement this tech into their Cars?

Since your so hot up on facts... Fact is Hydrogen is the cheapest & cleanest plus fastest Tech we have today.... So why not push this instead?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"Fact is Hydrogen is the cheapest & cleanest plus fastest Tech we have today"

Pity it's efficiency is on a par with an electric powered steam engine.

2. catprog

You have solved the problem of generating the hydrogen from non fossil fuels?

3. RichardF

Nice to see a couple of facts. I wonder why they don't make a battery change part of the pit stop rather than changing car. This would make the race a better model for the real world and add a bit of impetus to the drive for quick battery swap technology.

1. monkeyfish

It also may lead to more efficient motors which will help with the range of normal electrics just as much as higher density batteries.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: It also may lead to more efficient motors

No, it may not. Electric motors are pretty much lossless already. And no, that's not because huge efforts have been poured into their development, it's because electricity is something called "free energy" (well pretty close anyway). Google it.

2. itzman

Sadly electric motors and batteries are all up on the 90% plus efficiency range.

What is missing is a high energy density battery, and those are already approaching the limits of lithium, and lithium is, in the periodic table, the best element there is.

Even lithium air, where at least some of the weight is in the atmosphere to begin with, is only just able to match a tank of hydrocarbon fuel.

And the technology is massively difficult to deploy.

Storing electrical energy efficiently and without a weight penalty is a huge problem which if we could crack it, would transform a lot of things.

Aircraft for example, only fly because of the energy density of hydrocarbon fuel...

3. Psyx

"So how many laps can these Milk Floats make before they KO themselves out with a +16h recharge?"

Probably many more miles than a top fuel drag racer can do before a complete engine rebuild.

And those sprinters... can't do ten miles at that speed, can they? Totally useless sport then, isn't it?

1. itzman
          Paris Hilton

Drag racing?

Of course drag racing is a totally useless sport.

So is synchronised swimming and running a marathon when you could take the bus...

As for football - well surely the goalkeepers and the whole opposing team could help the ball into their own net to get the game over quickly so they could get on with doing something a bit more useful?

4. itzman

Re: How many laps?

IIRC they have 2 cars per driver and swap them over half way through..

So maybe around 60-80 miles per car

1. druck Silver badge
          FAIL

Re: How many laps?

Can't even do a full race distance - pathetic.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The pit stops will be quite fast as long as they don't lose the little bit of red ribbon - otherwise they will need to have a man with a special F1 biro-cap.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I enjoyed the British Grand Prix yesterday"

You're one of the few then. I gave up on F1 years ago, just a tedious procession round and round in a circle with hardly any passing due to most of the tracks not being designed for open wheel racing where even the slightest touch means you're off. Compare that to touring cars where bump and grind is the order of the day. F1 is an utter snoozefest. And now you don't even get a decent sound from the cars with the new hybrid engines - they sound like bad tempered lawn mowers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

+1 for Touring Cars

Much, much, much more enjoyable to watch. It's just a shame the races are hidden away on ITV76 or whatever channel they're on. If the BBC ditched F1 completely and put their resources into covering the Touring Cars in the same way everyone would be a winner.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: +1 for Touring Cars

Yup. Touring car is proper track car racing. Unfortunately it doesn't have the bling bling and primadonas of F1 so the TV companies arn't interested. Still, F1 is slowly disappearing up its own arse with its dull racing, constant absurd rule changes and personality free drivers and people are voting with their remote controls. Silverstone was on at the same time as the wimbledon mens final and the Tour de France yesterday and I'll lay good money on its viewing figures being a distant 3rd out of the 3 of them.

2. lotus49

You have shown that you nothing about F1 then.

I have been watching F1 avidly since I was 6 (I'm now in my 50s) and the Bahrain GP this year was one of the most exciting races I have ever seen. It is also idiotic to talk about "bump and grind" at 200 mph. F1 cars have never routinely bumped each other because it's extremely dangerous in an open wheel car.

F1 has always been and remains the pinnacle of motorsport. Touring cars, not so much.

You are right about the noise though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"was one of the most exciting races I have ever seen"

Well I didn't see it , but whenever I've seen "exciting" clips from F1 its usually the sort of thing that happens all the time elsewhere, not once in 2 hours.

"It is also idiotic to talk about "bump and grind" at 200 mph."

Nascar manage it. But then they're closed wheel.

"F1 cars have never routinely bumped each other because it's extremely dangerous in an open wheel car."

Err, thats kind of what I said. And thats what makes open wheel racing so tedious IMO.

"F1 has always been and remains the pinnacle of motorsport. "

*snort* Yeah , right. Maybe 30 years ago. Now its just profligate self obsessed bling circus that just happens to involve cars. The racing is dull, the cars are dull and the drivers are dull and some of the races - eg monaco - are just a pointless farce. They're not a race, they're an event for the glitterati to be seen at.

1. James Hughes 1

Motor racing is a NON CONTACT SPORT.

It much too fecking dangerous for it to be anything else. Already we have drivers who grew up with that heap of crap that is BTCC crashing in to each other because they think its OK. It really isn't. The bad example set by BTCC will eventually result in someone getting killed, because of "it was OK in BTCC so I thought it was OK in FFord" syndrome.

1. Vic

Motor racing is a NON CONTACT SPORT.

You've not seen Anthony Reid drive[1], then?

Already we have drivers who grew up with that heap of crap that is BTCC crashing in to each other because they think its OK

I caught the tail end of a Touring Car race on telly the other day - it appears that the BTCC are clamping down on contact. Which is as it should be - it's supposed to be a demonstration of skill, not a test of armour...

"it was OK in BTCC so I thought it was OK in FFord"

Thankfully, open-wheel contact is usually expensive[2] enough that drivers tend to avoid it long before they get to the super-high speeds where they might consider it profitable

Vic

[1] Particularly when there are flint walls around.

[2] I caught up with an old friend the other day - he rented out his Jedi this year. The bloke that rented it crashed on his first race, taking the car out for the rest of the season while it had a £14K rebuild...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Motor racing is a NON CONTACT SPORT."

Says who? You?

"It much too fecking dangerous for it to be anything else"

Oh well, I guess banger racing should be banned immediately then!

"that heap of crap that is BTCC"

You mean that heap of crap that actually has proper racing rather than cars following each other round in a tedious procession with passing only done in the first 10 seconds from the start and during pit stops? If I want to watch a train I'll go to a station.

"OK in FFord"

Formula Ford? What a fucking joke. Go karts with a flash paint job.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
        Meh

just a tedious procession round and round in a circle with hardly any passing

That hasn't been true for at least a couple of years now. DRS and a reduction in aero grip means that there's quite a bit of overtaking and close racing. Not as much as in closed wheel racing, true, but probably as much as there ever has been in F1. If you've ever liked F1 you'll probably like it now.

2. James 51

Way to farm the downvotes. Hopefully advances made here will filter into other cars.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. LaeMing
    Thumb Up

I was wondering if the relative quiet of e-vehicles might detract from the appeal, but from the video they sound a bit like distant jet engines.

1. Ole Juul

I think the noise will be missed at first, but the higher acceleration will make up for it in appeal.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Steve Todd

Which means these cars could be out-paced by my 1991 bike

Until you arrive at the first corner that is. These things are designed like F1 for high cornering downforce, they'll leave you for dead on a twisty race circuit.

1. Dazed and Confused

Bikes and corners

I remember back in the 70's reading a review in something like Autocar or Motor where they pitched the new Honda CBX inline 6 cylinder bike against the an Aston Martin Vantage, the bike was miles ahead at the first corner, just ahead at the end of lap 1 and then disappeared after that and no one ever accused the Vantage of being particularly good at corners. A Bugatti Veyron might beat one of these to the first corner, but after that it wouldn't see which way this thing went.

2. DanDanDan

Your 1991 bike was around 100 years after the advent of the internal combustion engine (if not significantly more?)

Give 'em a bloody chance!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Give 'em a bloody chance!"

I think they've had ample bloody chance, given that the earliest semi-practical electric cars date back to the same years as the earliest semi-practical ICE vehicles, between 1880 and 1890.

I'm not sure how road car technology will be enhanced by having a dull race* between identical ultra-light non-road electric cars, where the drivers leap into another car when the battery goes flat? As much as anything, to spur innovation you need variety, but with single suppliers this smells like a bit of window dressing for Renault. And then there's the fact that EV's are all about the battery - energy density, cost, durability, and speed to charge - with 130 years of battery development still not offering much benefit, I can't see that a token bit of pretend racing will do anything. They'd be better off instead of spending the money custom building some undoubtedly expensive F1 lookalikes putting the money into fundamental research by blokes in white coats.

* Formula 1 is dull enough already - imagine it with quieter, slower cars with lower endurance.

1. hammarbtyp

Well you could argue that F1 is perceived as dull due to the disparity of the cars meaning that it is less down to driver skill and more down to team finances.

Anyway this is the 1st year. Car differences will largely be restricted to aerodynamic tweaks, althogh I can see energy management being a big factor. The next year, rules will be relaxed allowing for more differentiation in the various cars.

2. itzman

Benefits from racing..

I can only half agree that its a waste of time.

What will filter through into road uses eventually will be batteries that can be fast charged and discharged, better energy recovery systems and ultimately better batteries.

Two things stand between now and widespread adoption of electric road cars, range and cost.

Range will always be a problem with BEVs as even the theoretical best energy density of lithium ion simply isn't good enough and lithium air is so early in the development stage its uncertain as to whether a safe cheap battery will ever be made using that technology.

Cost should come down as production engineering gets under way. Lithium is not expensive nor any of the materials involved and they are more or less recyclable. So te gig issue is range and how that can be extended by energy recovery and as good as it gets battery design and also by developments into faster charging.

Right now the majority of road trips are short and a BEV should make an ideal 'second car' for those that can organise off street charging. Overnight charging at 3KW levels - or more with an adapted circuit - is enough for about 100 miles/day or a potential 35,000 miles a year car.

Personally if a BEV was economic lifetime wise over a fuel car I'd get one for the shorter trips. The performance is JUST good enough for that: What holds me back is cost.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Benefits from racing..

And just where is all the energy going to come from to charge millions of electric vehicles at 3KW each for hours on end? (Hint: it certainly won't be solar or wind!)

Moron

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Benefits from racing..

"Range will always be a problem with BEVs"

Range isn't an issue if the things can charge quickly. Smaller motorbikes frequently have sub-100mile range on a tankful and noone complains (much) about that, because it's only a few mins to fill-er-up.

The real winners for BEVs will be range extension (think generator on a trailer) for the occasional trip and faster charging technology - As long as the costs are brought down.

3. Psyx

"I think they've had ample bloody chance, given that the earliest semi-practical electric cars date back to the same years as the earliest semi-practical ICE vehicles, between 1880 and 1890."

Yes, and they've had over a 100 years of highly competitive development, just like petrol engines, making your comparison completely legitimate and fair. Or.... not.

"I'm not sure how road car technology will be enhanced by having a dull race* between identical ultra-light non-road electric cars"

The article did state that this year the cars were single-marque, but that was likely to change. As it moves towards a multi-marque series the development will come, just as it does in every other top-flight Formula.

"with 130 years of battery development still not offering much benefit"

Oh, so Li-ion doesn't have an energy density 5 times higher than lead-acid or nickel-cadmium, then; more than doubling in capacity in the last 20 years. It's come quite a long way.

"I can't see that a token bit of pretend racing will do anything."

If you think it's 'pretend' because you don't need ear defenders and every driver is competing in an equal vehicle, then you're clearly not much of a motorsport fan. The only 'pretend' racing I've seen is celebrities 'racing' their Ferraris. Your opinion of the Series is about as useful as mine on the England kickball squad.

How does not making noise have a bearing on the quality of racing?

"They'd be better off instead of spending the money custom building some undoubtedly expensive F1 lookalikes putting the money into fundamental research by blokes in white coats."

They don't look anything like F1 cars any more than spitfires look like DH Mosquitos. They look like single-seater Formula cars and that's about where the similarities end.

"Formula 1 is dull enough already - imagine it with quieter, slower cars with lower endurance."

So... you really are commenting on a relative to a sport that you are already utterly uninterested in.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon