back to article Virgin Media struck dumb by NATIONWIDE DNS outage

Virgin Media customers were kicked offline last night, after a DNS blunder from the cable company disrupted its network on Tuesday. It comes after rival BT suffered a similar, widespread technical cockup over the weekend. Virgin Media, which is owned by US telecoms giant Liberty Global, coughed to a "nationwide DNS outage" on …

Page:

1. Ben Rose
    Big Brother

Cheltenham again?

Were they activating their new link to GCHQ this time?

All your data are belong to us.

1. Allan 1

Re: Cheltenham again?

Yeah, I'm not buying the "failure" excuse either. Happened too soon after BT had an identical "failure".

2. TitterYeNot
      Headmaster

"All your data are belong to us"

Sorry to be finicky (ha, as if, this is El Reg), to follow the meme correctly, shouldn't that be "All your datum are belong to us."

Ahem. Aaaand back to the story... DNS availability does seem to be Virgin Broadband's major weakness in my experience. Throughput and latency over cable is generally good, but DNS response times and/or availability seems to vary from just about acceptable to utter crap on a day to day basis.

1. Danny 14

Nah, BT's intern simply went to virgin instead.

2. Annihilator
        Happy

"Sorry to be finicky"

"finicky" is just a lazy person's word for "accurate"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Were they activating their new link to GCHQ this time?

Actually, no, data is actually going to Maryland, and has been doing so for a while. That it breaks UK Data Protection with it apparently doesn't matter to its US owner:

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;virginmedia.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:

virginmedia.com. 3220 IN MX 1 aspmx.l.google.com.

virginmedia.com. 3220 IN MX 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.

virginmedia.com. 3220 IN MX 5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.

virginmedia.com. 3220 IN MX 10 aspmx2.googlemail.com.

virginmedia.com. 3220 IN MX 10 aspmx3.googlemail.com.

Even when equipped with barge pole, do not touch.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Virginmedia email has been hosted by Gmail for many years. Goes back deep into when NTL owned it. This is just the same as Sky using Yahoo (was Gmail). And BT also used Yahoo for many years, only just migrating their users away from it. Nothing secretive here.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nothing secretive here.

I wasn't suggesting it was secretive, other than that I suspect it's never been made very clear to VM users that their data is effectively exported to the land of the *cough* "free". This situation has indeed existed for quite a while.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

@AC:

VM are quite clear with their users (of which I am one) that their email service is provided by Google, and it's very obvious that this is the case when you use webmail anyway, so you really have no need to be concerned about it.

2. Lionel Baden

Suspect Much ?

I cant be the only one, who thinks that this is starting to look a little suspect.

*where is the black helicopter Icon ?

1. ukgnome
      Black Helicopters

Re: Suspect Much ?

helicopter what? You can't see it? And you never will, until it's too late

Mwah hahahha

2. Pypes

VM's DNS servers have been in the process of falling over for several years now, I'm calling coincidence with regards to the BT outage.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My VM service continued to work last night. No DNS problems here. However, I did get problems last Thursday that were very similar to what was reported for BT at the weekend.

So yes, I'm suspicious. There does seem to be a systematic outbreak of this problem and a failure to state the cause doesn't help.

3. Terry 6 Silver badge

Hmm

"...Virgin Media's status pages claim everything is fine..."

That's pretty par for the course with VM.

Sometimes even the call handler will be saying there's nothing wrong, and have you tried switching it off and on again, etc. And later you find out that the whole area has a problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: have you tried switching it off and on again ?

Have you tried sticking it up your arse ?

1. Rol

Re: have you tried switching it off and on again ?

"Have you tried sticking it up your arse ?"

"I'm afraid my arse is too full of excuses for the poor service to fit anything not first pulled from my managers arse already"

2. EddieD

Re: Hmm

Yeah - those pages are about as much use as paraffin wax teapot* - a static page showing Cnut** holding back the waves with an "Everything's fine" speech bubble would be equally accurate.

*It's been pointed out to me often that you could eat a chocolate teapot, thereby providing some good use.

**Preferably mispelled

3. Harry the Bastard

yep, vm status pages are useless, as is the telephone status

during a long (>48 hours outage) and after several calls over two days with the 'help' desk, who could only say there was no known issue or resolution time (and kept trying to get me to check my network settings, grrrr), i was finally passed to second level support, who instantly replied that "oh, it's a planned outage for network changes, service will resume at xx:yy" which it did

i) planned, so why didn't they email affected customers in advance?

ii) planned, so why didn't they put it on the status page, phone status etc.?

iii) planned, so why didn't they tell their own help desk people?

iv) planned, in what way?

1. Jason 24

Re: yep, vm status pages are useless, as is the telephone status

"iv) planned, in what way?"

Planned as in "bollocks, I rebooted the wrong server". "Ah well, may as well do that maintenance since it's off anyway". "Oh shit, that didn't go to plan, what do we do now??"

I would suspect.

2. jubtastic1

Re: yep, vm status pages are useless, as is the telephone status

They did try to warn the help desk guy but he's notoriously hard to get hold of, so you can't really blame them for that one.

4. wikkity
      Joke

Re: Status Pages

They couldn't update them as they could resolve the servers host name

5. dotdavid

Yep their status page is awful.

Whenever I have an internet outage, I check the status page from my phone and it usually says something like "Phone - OK, Internet - OK, TV - There are reported problems with TV service in your area". Despite the fact that I don't have TV with them and it's my Internet that's down I can only assume "Internet" and "TV" are linked in some way, and only bother contacting the helpdesk if all three services are listed as OK.

6. helicoil

All that is worth it when you ring up tech support and the guy on the other end has a heavy geordie accent. That sort of service is priceless.

7. Velv
      Facepalm

I just love the status pages.

I just love that they offer to send you an email when an issue is resolved.

I just love that it was email that was down, and they offered to send me an email when it was fixed... (I leave the reader to do the facepalm)

(yes, yes, I know, I could have used a different email address if I had one, or if I had push email it should have come through to my phone or I could of chosen to receive an SMS. But where would the Virgin bashing fun be in that)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two Mass DNS Outages In Less Than A week

This is looking a little suspicious.

To lose one DNS is unfortunate, to lose two is a good old fashioned conspiracy.

1. ma6cb

Re: Two Mass DNS Outages In Less Than A week

Was thinking the same myself... Does seem rather odd the 2 of the UKs largest Internet backbone and service providers have DNS issues within 48 hours of each other...

5. Robert Ramsay

Heh...

I'd forgotten I'd switched over to OpenDNS until I read this story...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Heh...

Yup, best to give to the Yanks to log and store, says our lot doing it...

2. pPPPP

Here's how I didn't notice the outage, in case anyone's interested.

I run a small Linux server in my loft (I use a Raspberry Pi for its low power consumption, but anything will do).

It runs a DHCP server and a DNS server. Neither is difficult to configure. Superhub is in normal mode, with DHCP switched off.

In the DNS server, I have a config file which redirects all spam, ads or anything else I don't like, such as social media bollocks. My LG TV no longer tries to advertise things to me (still annoyed about that - never buy LG) and nor does my phone, at least when I'm in the house.

Anything in the house has a DNS entry. Anything else gets forwarded to opendns.

Still have to use UKbay to get round the pathetic attempt at blocking piratebay though.

1. Lionel Baden

Do you have a copy / tutorial of your setup you would be happy to share ?

1. pPPPP

It does vary from distro to distro. You need to set up dhcpd and bind. I use slackware and that basically means installing dhcpd and bind packages, changing /etc/rc.d/rc.dhcpd and /etc/rc.d/rc.bind to be executable, editing the config files, and starting them.

There's probably a bit too much to post here, but this post: http://topchan.info/your-own-adblocking-dns will give you some pointers.

2. BlartVersenwaldIII

On debian (and therefore probably ubuntu) at least, a local caching DNS server is a simple matter of installing bind9 and editing /etc/bind/named.conf.options. You can put whatever DNS servers you want in the forwarders section like so:

forwarders {

// ISP DNS servers go here

2.3.4.5;

6.7.8.9;

10.11.12.13;

};

Restart bind and you're done. I use OpenNIC DNS servers with Level 3 as a backup.

If you want a simple single subnet DHCP server, just install udhcpd and you're done. ISC dhcpd is a little more involved.

You can combine both in a single piece of software by using the excellent dnsmasq (which has the added bonus of providing DNS names for you local network automatically) although it's harder to set up than the above bind example - but simpler overall.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm DNS ...

for some reason, I never trust ISP provided DNS. Google and/or OpenDNS for me. Which is why I didn't notice the BT outage (I used BT for my work BB, with OpenDNS) nor this one (my private BB is Virgin, with Google DNS).

1. 's water music

Re: Hmmmm DNS ...

for some reason, I never trust ISP provided DNS... Google DNS...

Google. Sounds legit.

:-)

2. Velv
      Trollface

Re: Hmmmm DNS ...

Yea, because giving google even more information about the websites you visit is such a good thing.

Run your own DNS server and leave it to look up the root hints

7. Bob AMG

Time to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 they are googles DNS servers that anyone can use. Not the fastest but better than note.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Try 4.2.2.2 - 6 instead.

2. Omgwtfbbqtime

That would be why I never noticed any DNS problems then.

Definite fail by VM for locking the Superhub DNS away from the users.

I have heard that the reason is so that they don't have to support any user change to the DNS but since the third thing* they ask you to do is factory reset the router I don't see the point.

* First thing - reboot your computer, second thing reboot the router.

8. Proud Father

Didn't even notice

SuperHub in modem mode, Netgear router set to use OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)

9. Richard 12 Silver badge
    FAIL

The Hub's not so "Super"

Annoyingly there is no way to change the Superhub's DNS settings, so I could only fix the PCs and not my wife's phone or the set-top box.

I spent 40 minutes on hold to find that out nugget of information.

At least "Cable Modem mode" is easy to set up, just not something I felt like doing during an outage.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: The Hub's not so "Super"

does this superhub thing allow you to set up the dhcp details that are handed out?

1. pPPPP

Re: The Hub's not so "Super"

All you can do is reserve IP addresses for MAC addresses. That's it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dont Use VM DNS

I've been with VM for BB for years, but over the last couple of years the DNS provided by them has been getting worse and worse.

When I switched to public DNS provides like google or OpenDNS, the broadband now works really fast.

So why cripple you fast broadband with pathetic DNS? Most users will not ever change their DNS, and will just say "My Broadband is shit"

11. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

HMG ????

Of course, nobbling DNS is the cheapest way to mask certain areas of the internet from the masses. So any issues with major ISPs DNS provision is suspicious.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

Re: HMG ????

Can't say I noticed, as I don't use their DNS, but as it happens i had an email from Virgin telling me about a new option to switch on safe internet. that was going to be done using DNS, IIRC.

1. Rol

Re: HMG ????

Me too, but no thank you.

They also offered to upgrade me to 50Mb, but, I smelt a con, which I guess would involve the Super Hub being installed and the price going up beyond inflation AGAIN!!!!!!!

12. s. pam Silver badge
    Mushroom

Virgin's DNS had its Cherry popped a LONG time ago

We've been on Virgin for 4+ years and it took 15 seconds to realize their DNS is #epicfail fsck'd.

We use a variety of open DNS, plus known good DNS servers and never ever rely on Virgin's DNS. The fact their router does is immaterial as all of our home hosts have hard coded DNS entries so we can avoid Virgin's DNS fsckery.

13. DrSpudz
    Joke

Who knew Virgin Media used NO-IP as part of their infrastructure...

1. Tom 13

@ DrSpudz

Darn it! You beat me to it.

14. darpax

Yesterday? Bollocks

It went down on Friday.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-152Mb/DNS-Issues/td-p/2361435

Also the service is getting worse in general, my area is waiting now almost 2 years for a resegmentation and all I get is usual bullshit about how they are sorry and the work takes a long time to plan.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like