back to article Brit SPACE HEDGEHOG team flies student Mars payload

We're pleased to report that the team behind the 2013 space hedgehog drama - which saw a knitted mascot dramatically go awol over Blighty - has finally got a cluster of student experiments in the air without mishap. Last March, CASSiE (Cosmic Ambassador for Space Science and Engineering) accompanied 70 miniprojects packed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cool :)

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Somehow, all these yellow capsules make me go

Beedo beedo beedo beedo beedo beedo beedo beedo beedo beedo

Seriously, though, thumbs up to this project

1. MARSBalloon
      Boffin

Re: Somehow, all these yellow capsules make me go

yep there where more than a few decorated with mismatched numbers of big circular eyes.

There are plenty of spaces for more UK secondary schools to get involved in the next flight (oct) so please forward to any teachers you might know (and its free, your tax-pounds at work).

3. TRT Silver badge

Is one of the experiments...

to determine if "Kinder surprise" are actually a foodstuff or not?

1. Pypes

Re: Is one of the experiments...

In the high vacuum of space kinder surprise exist simultaneously as a foodstuff and a toy, however in earths thick atmosphere the wave function collapses in such a fashion as to appear to an observer to become first a foodstuff (this state is meta-stable and last until next school break) and then a toy.

America banned them out of fear this property could be exploited to make undetectable weaponised candy which would be distributed to children by radical Islamic dentists.

2. A K Stiles
      Coat

I suppose that could be the surprise - "this really does have nutritional value".

Mind you, they taste so awful that actually they'll probably find that there is some medicinal quality to them!

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Mind you, they taste so awful that actually they'll probably find that there is some medicinal quality to them!"

Strange, I have heard the very same thing said of Marmite.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they got to the surface of Mars by balloon?

Cool!

5. Beachrider

Cool story bro...

Needs more dragons...

6. taxman

But why helium

One of the few elements that will disappear forever. Really good to encourage youngsters to think about science and the tomorrows to come....shame the organisers don't do the same.

7. Mage Silver badge
    Alien

Don't worry

When I get my Fusion Generator working I'll sell the Helium as a sideline.

Interesting project for younger kids.

Perhaps the pods should be hermetically sealed and opened in isolation chambers.

/me remembers Quatermass (TV) and The Andromeda Strain (book)

8. Franklin

"The next flight, "Elysium", is planned for October."

At which time it will no doubt be shot down by Jodie Foster.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like