back to article Rockall pod-dweller braces for stormy weather

Rockall pod-dweller Nick Hancock has now spent over three weeks atop the North Atlantic islet and was battening down the hatches on Saturday ahead of predicted stormy weather. Nick Hancock on Rockall last week Thumbs up: Nick Hancock on Rockall He wrote: "Tomorrow is supposed to be a very calm day, but as they say: the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B

60 days of learning the harmonica

Such a shame there's no live audio stream available.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: 60 days of learning the harmonica

Rockall is surely the best place to send trainee harmonica players?

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

I wish my local bell-clangers would go there.

2. Ralph B

> Rockall is surely the best place to send trainee harmonica players?

Thank you, hplasm, for taking the trouble to strip the sarcasm from my original message, for the benefit of our American cousins.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

I'm very disappointed he's wastng his time with the harmonica. Surely this level of isolation is the perfect venue to play the bagpipes. It's almost certainly far enough away from any possible listener that it might actually constitute a pleasant experience. Possibly a bit hard on the sea birds though.

It may be that my feelings are influenced by my school fete, when I was 6. While gazing in awe at the huge, multi-level, model railway that had been built in (and almost filled) my classroom - an evil bagpiper sneaked (snuck?) into the room. He was standing less than 2 feet behind me when he started strangling his cat playing.

2. Rob

I know it's geeky

But is there any photos of inside the 'pod' and a spec of what it can do etc.

1. ISYS
      Headmaster

Re: I know it's geeky

I know I am being pedantic but -

But is there any photos of inside the 'pod'

But are there any photos of the inside of the pod (it is a pod, you don't need quotes) and a spec (just the one?) of what it can do etc?

1. Rob

You should have saved that one for tomorrow because I have a really bad Monday careless attitude going on today. (which means the wife will hate me and my son will love me this evening).

;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But is there any photos

I like the way you try to deceive speech pattern analysis, but I don't think you're a former US President, sorry.

:)

3. Cripes Chief!

Twitcher?

Lets also have the bird list please

4. Fullbeem

Timezones

Is Rockall GMT or -1 ??

1. Bloakey1

Re: Timezones

It is GMT, Irish time ;)

I fished off here from Killybegs in a 64 foot trawler and it is very nasty in bad weather. I wish him all the best but it sounds like it will not be too nasty. he should be OK for fish as a bit of tin foil, a hook and line will get you lots of Mackerel, coalfish, whiting and cod should be plentiful as well. Pollack, sea trout, dabs, ling etc. should be available with the right gear. There is always the old hook, fish and line to catch seagulls.

I wish you the best and may you be in heaven a half an hour before the devil knows you are dead.

1. BlueGreen

and line to catch seagulls? Murdering them shrieky aggressive buggers sounds like a passtime to benefit all of humanity, but you almost sound like you mean eating them too. Please tell me I'm wrong. Or if I'm not, what do the rubbish-bins of the sky taste like?

1. Captain DaFt

Well, I've never tried one myself, but an old New-Englander did once share the recipe:

Clean and dress seagull as you would any poultry.

Preheat oven to 350F (175C)

Place seagull in a pan, add one brick, place in oven.

Bake 3-5 days.

Throw away seagull, eat the brick.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

...you almost sound like you mean eating them too.

Well, everything tastes like chicken. Except seagull, which tastes like fish. And don't ask how I'd know. The baked brick sounds like a pleasant alternative...

5. displacedtexan

Pfffft - only you Brits would consider 30mph to 50mph winds extreme weather. Why, here in west Texas, that's just a light breeze, not even news worthy. Of course, we're not sitting atop a slippery rock.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Happy

Is that you, topper? Back to the Dilbert strip where you belong to!

6. ShadowDragon8685

I'm just imagining what kind of unholy cacophony the inside of that podule must be like in the midst of a driving rain-storm.

I hope it's got some seriously fantastic soundproofing.

7. Evil Auditor Silver badge

How does he take a dump?

Outside or is there a 'podoilet'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: How does he take a dump?

away from the wind at a wild guess...

8. thomas newton

is anyone else thinking a week or two there would be a lovely opportunity to get away from it all?? I'm quite jealous.

This topic is closed for new posts.