back to article Xiaomi launches Mi Pad fondleslablette – your (legal) move, Apple

Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi, whose CEO models himself on Steve Jobs, has released a tablet the same size and shape as an iPad mini with the somewhat-derivative name Mi Pad. Mi Pad Look familiar? The Mi Pad has a 7.9-inch screen with a resolution of 2048-by-1536 – the same resolution as the iPad mini with Retina Display. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Queasy Rider

The best defence?

I don't know how "bendable" the court system is in China, but if I was this guy planning to release an iLike piece of electronics, the first thing I would do is populate my board of directors with lots of folk who have very "cordial" relations with the judiciary; you know what I mean, wink wink, nudge nudge. After all, it never hurts to have friends in high places, just saying.

2. Fluffy Bunny
    Devil

Flat rectangle with rounded corners

There's that dreaded flat rectangle with rounded corners again. If Apple don't go after this one, it will prove that they really only want to destroy Samsung.

3. johnnymotel

I'm sure Apple will sue over the name, and before anybody gets their panties all twisted, imagine someone brought out an OS called Mi Windows, Microsoft would be on them like a ton of bricks.

1. Mr Plastique

Re:

You say that but I'm pretty sure Cisco came up with IOS first

1. joeW

Re: Re:

They did, but Apple have paid Cisco for the right to use it. Fun fact, Cisco also came up with the name "iPhone" first.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd buy one... and no apple lawyers, I haven't confused the Mi Pad with an iPad.

I was weary of buying products from china, but seeing as US products also come with additional hardware from the NSA and as the NSA are spying on everything, there is no more danger with buying chinese products, than yank ones

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AC Jokes about buying one, I wont.

Any links to proposed specs??

I am out in China again soon, and may buy one just to wind up some iSheeple I know.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: AC Jokes about buying one, I wont.

Or, you could spend the money on food and beer and, you know, have a life.

6. Wing_Chun_Master

Apple haven't a cat in hell's chance of suing if these guys don't intend to sell in America.

Look up chinese copy cars on any browser and you'll giggle for the rest of the day.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Poking the Apple bear with a sharp stick

It must be like resting on two space hoppers when he sits down.

;)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least this My-Pad is better designed than the Amercian One

I mean, just look, talk about a lack of taste. Now pass the sick bucket.

http://miraclehomebuilders.com/mipad-two-story.html

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Re: At least this My-Pad is better designed than the Amercian One

That is truly horrendous, and why do many US properties have toilets adjoining the kitchen?Do they prefer the smell of bacon 8 hours after it has been eaten?

9. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Only half a photo

What does the bottom half of the tablet look like? If it's just got the three Android soft buttons I'll be very disappointed.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Tony Paulazzo

So you include a boring picture of a product that looks precisely the same as an ipad mini, but not of the (Chinese) boss dressed like Steve Jobs - missed opportunity El Reg.

Wonder what the battery life is like - any chance of a review?

12. Alister

The company's name is Xiaomi, isn't it?

Isn't that pronounced "sue mee"?

13. Alan Denman

Well it just works ....properly

The cheaper one works on the web proper like.

You simply cannot mix them up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like