back to article ZTE Open C, the Firefox OS mobe you'll almost want, now on eBay

Chinese mobe-maker ZTE has announced that the ZTE Open C, its latest phone running Mozilla's open source Firefox OS, is now available for sale worldwide via eBay. The new device, which was first unveiled at the Mobile World Congress tradeshow in February, is an upgraded version of the earlier ZTE Open, but while that device …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

Won't wow?

In a number of ways (CPU, internal storage most notably), this cheap and cheerful phone is better than the Xperia Arc S that I got just three years ago, for £300. The screen's not quite as shiny, I bet the camera is nowhere near as good, but for well under a hundred nicker after conversion, who cares?

If it has the usual required functions of an SD Card, portable access point/tethering, and a half decent (removable) battery, then colour me interested. I'll keep the old droids around for the apps and games, but this thing I'd happily use as a phone, so long as it works nicely.

In fact I imagine a lot of people won't give a damn so long as it works like a phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Won't wow?

One problem for Firefox and ZTE is that the Motorola G already hit that price on a lot of plans, but comes with far superior hardware specs and runs KitKat.

1. bofh80

in fact, show me the plans,

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Some people do not worship Godle.

3. M Gale

One problem for Firefox and ZTE is that the Motorola G already hit that price on a lot of plans

Thing is, I already have the perfect rolling monthly plan for me (as in, unlimited-means-unlimited data and tethering allowed). I want a phone, and you're never going to up-sell me to another contract.

Take that 24 month ball and chain away, and the SIM-free Moto G, while a nice price, is very much not as cheap and very much a sealed unit. No battery, no SD, no sale.

2. Robert E A Harvey

If it has ...

>If it has the usual required functions of an SD Card, portable access point/tethering,

Yes. If it does. I want a cheap small phone for making calls and tethering, rather than trying to use the phone screen for the intertubes.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

What you mean is..

...Can I wipe it and put a PROPER linux on there!!

3. Bill the Sys Admin

I really want to try Firefox OS see what its like. Be nice if they were working on a premium handset, i hope they are for when the OS is a little mature. I would definitely give it a shot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Someone needs to do a Smartphone VM. Run any other ARM based smartphone OS in a window.

2. qixman

Do a Google search for "dual boot firefox os nexus 4" or watch the Youtube vids

4. Captain Hogwash
    Facepalm

Re: but you can still find plenty of cheap Android phones with better specs

Not being an Android phone will be the point for many.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Almost up to 2009 specs now.

1. M Gale

The LG Optimus 2X was the first dual-core phone to market, released in early 2011.

So high-end 2011 specs, only without the high-end 2011 pricing. I see no problem here?

6. Steve Graham

This looks very similar in spec and appearance to the ZTE Blade Q Mini which I just bought (for a similar price). Stylish and well-made -- I'm happy with it.

7. Wang N Staines

8GB Moto G for £99 ... if you want budget.

1. BeerTokens

Where? Could only find it for £120.00 unlocked

Whereas the ZTE Open C is £69.99 from ebay which makes it over 40% cheaper.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice phone

Mine arrived last week. Didn't get to use it much as my partner took it. Email has improved a lot (IMAP) as has touch response on the better looking screen. Only thing I didn't like was it was black, not the nice orange of the old model.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More powerful than the iPhone

looking at the blurb it is far more web compatible than the iPhone.

So a lot better than the iPhone for the web, but limited with web apps.

Early days.

10. bofh80

Apparently Andy Prough can't actually show those plans. (no we can't find em otherwise we wouldn't ask)

And Wang N Staines can't show you the 8gb for £99 either.

Just saying.

Still deciding if i want to buy this as you need to root it to put a PROPER (as advised above) linux distro on it... :)

11. Artist

Moto G

The best price out there is £110 on Tesco Mobile for an 8Gb. £2.00 odd to unlock it from gsmn@btinternet.com

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like