1. andre 2
    Alien

Neutrino SETI

Hi, is anyone interested in collaborating on a project?

Seems that the decay time of potassium 40 aka "Lite Salt" can be affected by neutrinos, at least one of the decay paths (ie the B+)

The method I propose is to purify down 1kg of LS using differential crystallization in order to harvest about a gram of enriched 40KCl which can then be wrapped around a Geiger tube and encased in wax to make a detector.

I have determined that this approach can be used with the typical Russian tube ie SBM series and after sorting through a few tubes found that some are much more sensitive than others.

Keeping the device at a constant 25 Celsius would avoid problems with tube temperature sensitivity and encasing it in a lead or composite bismuth block inside an aerogel shield would allow it to be shielded against all but the highest energy cosmic rays and/or gammas.

A network of these throughout the UK would provide very valuable data indeed and would also act as an effective "dark lightning" detector which would in itself be interesting.

2. andre 2

Update 1 230514

I've since determined that a lot of time could be saved by salvaging parts.

One good example is some old HP printers notably the Deskjet 550 series have a nice LM35DZ sensor on the lid PCB.

The Lite-Salt is actually the biggest problem to crystallize but so far I have around 60 grams here.

To separate out the magnesium carbonate is relatively simple and this can be used for other projects.

I've been looking into using a proprietry enrichment method which is currently undergoing a patent search :-) as this constitutes a novel and inventive step and TTBOMK has never been done before.

3. andre 2

Update 2 190614

If anyone is interested, please email me on mandoline@cwgsy.net with the subject "Neutrino SETI"

I have some knowledge of theoretical physics so would appreciate some pointers.

Also relevant, another parallel project to do with detecting the theorized solar axions, in this case a superconducting sensor of my own design utilizing off the shelf chemicals and hardware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon