back to article Firefox, is that you? Version 29 looks rather like a certain shiny rival

Firefox 29 has left beta to become the latest stable release for desktop PCs and Android devices. The new version sports a long-promised user interface overhaul, new customization options, and an improved data sync feature. In a blog post on her personal site on Monday, Mozilla senior user experience designer Jennifer Morrow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Paradroid

Nearly

I've tried to stay with Firefox, but after using Chrome for any period of time it becomes a total pain to use a browser with a separate search box.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Nearly

You can search from the address box too. If you don't like the separate search box along side it, remove it.

1. Paradroid

I stand corrected! By Mozilla leaving the search box on by default even on new installations I assumed they wanted to keep things separate.

So I've tested it, and it doesn't work as well as the Chrome one. If you type a single word there is a noticeable pause before it hands off to a search engine. I guess this is to try and find a LAN resource with the same name. Chrome doesn't try to do this, but you can force it by typing a qualifier at the start like / or http://

Also, there is no autocomplete like the full search box.

Still a nearly for me.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If you want one word to search instead of resolve, go to about:config and set network.dns.ignoreHostonly to true.

If you want the address bar to autocomplete searches like the search box does, try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/instantfox/.

2. Michael Habel

You can search from the address box too. If you don't like the separate search box along side it, remove it.

I just open a new tab, that takes me directly back to Google's Homepage... Same sh-- I've been doing for all these Years. Seems to work fine for me!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

I've tried to stay with Firefox, but after using Chrome for any period of time it becomes a total pain to use a browser with a separate search box.

I've tried to stay with Chrome, but after using Firefox for any period of time it becomes a total pain to use a browser with a combined location/search box.

Especially when you type a host name on your local office network and it decides to "Google search" it. As if that was going to work!

1. Redbaron

Sticking a forward slash after the hostname was a workaround last time I used chrome

1. Tim99 Silver badge
          Coat

@Redbaron

Users of real computers call it a "slash", or for oldies a "virgule". To all the newer kids who go with the ISO/Unicode "solidus" - It isn't, that is a fraction slash.

I'll go for my SCAN now (Senior Citizen's Afternoon Nap), mutter, mutter.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

So will I, nap time. I'm still on Firefox 12 and have no plans to move. Tried a couple of the later versions, but they always mess up my nicely planned user interface and add ons, so I revert.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: @ AC on Firefox 12

Yeah, I was on Firefox 12 yesterday. Last build to support Windows 2000?

2. S 11

Re: Slash, Virgule

It's also a battle between character encodings and monospace fonts, preceding the browser wars.

2. Tom 13

Re: was a workaround last time I used chrome

What was it I said about MS and their Win 8 fail?

Oh yeah,

I expect routine features to work properly out of the box and not require a workaround or add-on.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It does show a "helpful" bar asking you whether you really wanted to go to the address you just typed:

"Did you want to go to http://host/"

The one thing a browser should do and do well is open pages when I type in the address. Chromium has problems with that.

3. Mage Silver badge

I disabled Searching from URL box ages ago. Simple configuration change. It's stupid to combine the two. But that and the single click bookmark (which I hate) are not new to 29

4. Vociferous

For me the killer feature is the triangle in the right hand part of the address bar. Extremely useful, to the point I find it difficult to use any browser which doesn't have it.

3. big_D Silver badge

I prefer Firefox, but now it seems I don't have much of a choice.

Mozilla, if I liked the look and feel of Chrome, I would have downloaded Chrome, not get a new skin for Firefox!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mozilla, if I liked the look and feel of Chrome, I would have downloaded Chrome, not get a new skin for Firefox!"

Install an extension called "Classic Theme Restorer". It turns Firefox 29 back into a usable web browser.

1. davidp231

Installing that brilliant addon also lets you remove the stupid "firefox menu" if you are sane and use proper menu bars (which renders said silly menu pretty redundant). By default you can't get rid of it, even if you turn on the normal menu bar.

2. RFC822

Isn't that the tail wagging the dog?!

When Firefox first started, it was built on a wonderful premise - there would be a small basic browser at the core, and then a selection of add-ons (which anybody could write) so that users could decide exactly which features they wanted in their browser.

I hate the new Tabs-On-Top design in 29, and now I'm being told that the only way to get back to the previous mode is to use an add-on.

The arrogance of the Firefox developers (you just need to look at their responses to anything criticising the new interface on the Mozilla forums, and there are reports of them deleting Facebook postings that are critical) will be their downfall.

I really don't like Google very much, and they already know FAR too much about me, but I fear that a move to Chrome may be on the way for me :-(

1. DropBear

The arrogance of the Firefox developers (you just need to look at their responses to anything criticising the new interface on the Mozilla forums

Is that like the arrogance of the Opera developers vs. anyone criticising that Opera on a mobile (uniquely among mobile browsers) requests every single existing permission, and possibly even some non-existing ones? Hmmm, I remember an old quote broadly along the lines of "nobody willing to become a politician should ever be allowed to" - I'm starting to wonder if the same applies to leading a software project...

2. Michael Habel

I hate the new Tabs-On-Top design in 29, and now I'm being told that the only way to get back to the previous mode is to use an add-on.

Use Firefox 24 ESR... Tabs on bottom, useable Download Manager, normal useable Menu (File Edit View etc... etc...)...

3. beep54

Try the Little Fox add-on. Why waste valuable screen space?

4. Michael Habel

Install an extension called "Classic Theme Restorer". It turns Firefox 29 back into a usable web browser.

And be sure to install that Stardock Shite to fix your Windows 8 too!!!

5. Simon Reed
          Mushroom

Mozilla, you bastards. You've fucked my browser.

Chris, thank you.

2. Michael Habel

Mozilla, if I liked the look and feel of Chrome, I would have downloaded Chrome, not get a new skin for Firefox!

Ignoring what your Customers / Users have to say.... Its not just for MicroSoft anymore!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny how little quirks can destroy a browser.

I really like Chrome as a browser, and would use it as my default browser everywhere (I already use it on Android). There is one simple reason why I don't. I HATE how the application closes when the last tab is closed. It's so unnatural. Sure there are nasty hacks that can work around this, but for this one reason alone, I use Opera, which behaves as I expect (I also much prefer Opera's speed dial which works the way I want it to, rather than the constantly changing one in Chrome).

5. NoneSuch Silver badge

I use Pale Moon. Firefox based, but none of the idiocy and my add-ins still work unlike FF which forces upgrades every thirty seconds.

http://www.palemoon.org/

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Palemoon now on v24.5 - not so very far behind FF in frequency of updates

2. Colin Miller

Ribbons, we don't need no stickin ribbons

Why the blazes is everyone moving to ribbon menus?

1. JDX Gold badge
      Trollface

Re: Ribbons, we don't need no stickin ribbons

Everyone's caught up with Microsoft?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, it's hard to run when you're limbs are tied up with ribbons…

2. Swarthy

Re: Ribbons, we don't need no stickin ribbons @ JDX

Nice. Well trolled.

2. Not That Andrew
      Joke

<joke>Didn't you know? Modern displays are so small they have to reduce the amount of chrome any way they can.</joke>

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Firefox has had one-click bookmarking (through a star no less) for ages. I realise there's a lot of chrome-like things going on here, but try not to get over-excited.

1. Roger B

and I think Internet Explorer as well, nothing new at all?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and I think Internet Explorer as well, nothing new at all?

oh come on... you can't blame a technical person for not being familiar with IE!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

you can't blame a technical person for not being familiar with IE!

It's not like they administer sites that normal windows users could browse to. When I test sites I only use browsers that I think are cool, fuck "market share" and that bollocks.

2. bitmap animal

A much quicker way without losing your flow or focus is CTRL-D then Enter. The keyboard is much easier than a mouse for many tasks.

4. Greg D

yes but...

Have they sped it up so it doesn't take half hour to load (on an SSD)?

Have they fixed the constant crashing issue every time you load a page with flash in it?

I stopped using FF grudgingly because of these issues specifically. Not really tempted to go back since Chrome just works so much nicer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: yes but...

Never had either of those problems on any of my installs.

FF loads a damned lot faster than Chrome

2. itzman

Have they sped it up so it doesn't take half hour to load (on an SSD)?

yes. it seems on first reload a fair bit snapper

Have they fixed the constant crashing issue every time you load a page with flash in it?

Never been a problem for me.

Javascript chewing CPU has been the worst issue.

3. PJD

I did the same thing for the same reason about a year and a half ago. Then got sick of chrome's inability to handle disqus and a handful of other near-ubiquitous parts of the modern web and reinstalled firefox for 'those few sites' and discovered the old problems had been solved, so switched back. And will happily go the other way again if needed..

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OTOH while chrome is good, fast and resistant to shitware add ins I just cannot bring myself to trust it. I don't go anywhere near any google services at home and only use search at work in private mode (Contractor so if they build up a profile on me at one place I don't care because I'll be somewhere else in a year at the most). Would Chrome report everything I do to the chocolate factory and blow my privacy? I don't have the patience to wireshark it for a month to see. Not that I'd likely be able to tell because its E.T. moments would be encrypted meaning I couldn't tell the difference between a profiling report and an update check.

1. monkeyfish

You could try the new opera, it's basically chrome anyway, but not necessarily as untrustworthy as chrome. Can even install chrome extensions, which you'll need when you discover it has no bookmarks menu...

1. Justin Clift

Yeah. I switched to Opera a few weeks ago after Chrome started inserting ads into my "New Tabs" page. (I'd had a near ad free experience with it until then thanks to Adblock and similar)

2. Greg D

I dont understand why Chrome is particularly "untrustworthy"... weren't Google the company that did no evil at one point? (disclaimer: I dont buy into that personally, but you gotta draw a line somewhere between paranoia and sense).

Also, my issues were obviously exaggerated. Except the Flash problem.

I also noticed it wasnt suffering the same issue on all of my computers, particularly with the speed thing. But that's part of the experience I guess - Chrome behaves the same no matter what machine I'm on.

1. Vociferous

> weren't Google the company that did no evil at one point?

Yes, but good intentions and billions of dollars don't mix.

That said, people are holding Google to much higher standards than other companies, even Microsoft, partly because it's seen as dominating, partly because it's the hip and happening thing to do if you're a conspiracy theorist.

5. Vociferous

@Greg D: Sounds like you had a broken config file. That was a pretty common problem with Firefox some... oh, 10 major revisions ago.

5. David Austin

So what's different?

Nowerdays, Chrome, Firefox & Safari (with Internet Explorer 11 in 2nd place and catching up fast), rendering engines and performance are all going in the same direction, so it all comes down to which UI you prefer

My preference was Firefox (With a few customisations for tabs and Status bars), but if they're going to Copy Chrome - And not bring something better to the party (Key detail) - IE's old skool menu bar and stability between version upgrades is looking pretty tempting...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like