back to article Teen student texter busts 20-second tongue-twisty SMS barrier

The nimblest texting fingers on the planet belong to a 15-year-old US student named Gaurav Sharma. Youtube Video Sharma has landed a Guinness World Record for typing a 25-word text message on a touchscreen of a mobile phone by writing his message in just 18.44 seconds. That message: The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Joke

Obviously autocomplete

What was he really trying to type?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Obviously autocomplete

So - iOS is the only major smartphone OS left where you can't do swyping or "word flow"?

Tap, tap, tap, fanbois...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Obviously autocomplete

That was always true, since few consider Windows Phone is a "major" smartphone OS.

2. Raumkraut

Optimise for awards

This strikes me as possibly leading to a similar thing to computer performance benchmarks, whereby manufacturers tweak their product specifically to get a better score on the benchmarks, but with little or no practical real-world improvement. If I create a phone keyboard which lets you "type" that piranha thing in a single press, could I claim that as a new world record?

Is this supposed to be a world record for the physical act (an athletic achievement), or for technological progress (like "fastest electric land vehicle")? AFAICT it seems to be a fairly meaningless munging of the two.

1. Zacherynuk

Re: Optimise for awards

Isn't that exactly what 3Dfx used to do with OpenGL / Quake Benchmarks etc?

Eg: (circa 1999)

TomsHW : Is it correct that drivers can be easily optimised for one application?

3DFX: Yes - that's part of the benchmarking game.

Undoubtedly still goes on, according to Nvidia my GTX 690 seems get between 6% and 20% faster in most games with every driver iteration...

2. DanDanDan

Just tried entering the text on my S4 and lo and behold, it has autocomplete options. As soon as I entered genera, it kindly suggested "Serrasalmus". Looks like you're right!

3. Vociferous

If autocomplete is enabled all that's needed is a custom dictionary.

3. Tromos

Not using predictive text...

...is cheating. It has only ever served to slow me down by predicting wildly off target words or autocompleting words that were complete before the extra bits got tacked on.

As far as the test phrase goes, took me damn near 18.4 seconds to read it never mind try to type it!

4. jake Silver badge

Who the hell cares? What's the point? Is there any worth to this?

Serious questions.

1. Thomas 4
      IT Angle

Re: Who the hell cares? What's the point? Is there any worth to this?

What's the IT angl- oh wait.

2. AceRimmer
      Devil

Re: Who the hell cares? What's the point? Is there any worth to this?

Allow me:

Who the hell cares?

You, clearly, hence your post

What's the point?

Of what?

The world record? Simple one-upmanship which has been going on since the dawn of time

The Article? Entertainment and ad revenue

Your post? There is none apart from stoking your own ego

Is there any worth to this?

Again - you need to be more specific

The world record? In itself no but it does confirm that input methods into mobile computing devices is getting better

The Article? It will contribute to someones income

Your post? No

As someone who has worked with computers for a number of years I know the value of being clear and specific in my writing.

Maybe you should try the same

5. poohbear

programmed learning...

As a Swiftkey user, I know it learns the words I use ... so I'm pretty sure his keyboard app learned all those words, and was able to correctly guess what he was trying to type even if his finger motions did not hit all the correct letters ... thus the record is 'assisted' and not valid.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: programmed learning...

And yet he has a Guinness certificate to prove it. I guess you know more than they, then.

1. Matt 21

Re: programmed learning...

He probably does.

6. Ivan Headache

Did he really beat it?

According to the nokia he didn't becasue it says the world record is 20.53ms

Or do they use some weird microsoft time units?

1. Woza
      Joke

Re: Did he really beat it?

Weird Microsoft time units? "Your text will be complete in 20 seconds... 17 seconds... 14 seconds... 4 minutes... 1 second... 6 seconds...complete"?

1. DanDanDan

Re: Did he really beat it?

Obligatory http://xkcd.com/612/

7. ifraser

I just typed the same sentance in under 15 seconds using my Blackberry Z10 with swipe type.

Windows phone obviously doesnt live up toe the BB os.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Video, time stamped

or that didnt happen!!!!

2. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Headmaster

Given that you managed to misspell "sentence" in your post, I'm somewhat dubious about your claim.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems pointless...

... when in 'real life' (if he has one) he would only type 'm8' and 'wtf' and 'ur gr8' and other shite.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like