back to article Google's latest mega-earnings fail to impress shareholders

It's hard to be disappointed about quarterly revenues of $15.42bn – unless you're Google, that is, and the analysts expected you to bring in even more. The online ad-slinger underperformed in both revenue and earnings per share during the first quarter of its fiscal 2014, based on the average estimate gathered by Yahoo! …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is what started happening to Apple

Wall Street was spoiled by constant earning beats, so they raised their estimates higher and higher above Apple's guidance, and the stock started getting punished when they'd announce earnings that handily beat their guidance, but failed to meet Wall Street's inflated expectations.

Since they've pushed the P/E and as a result Google's stock price too high, the same thing will afflict them and the stock price will eventually fall back to Earth. Then they'll pick the next tech darling for the same treatment. Microsoft perhaps, as I'm sure they can tell a compelling story about how the new CEO is going to fix the lack of direction over the past decade under Ballmer's inept leadership.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn this boring old finite world.

Their sales increase in quantity but their individual sale value decreases - well that's in the "core" business. Meanwhile they have bought an awful lot of IP along with various vanity stuff.

I defy anyone to actually give G a real representative value - they are properly odd and highly intelligent at the same time. That is either a recipe for success or big fail. My (fairy) money is on the former.

Actually, they are spectacularly successful in pretty much all real world measures, apart from - apparently - in the eyes of a bunch of financial xfuckwitsx wizards.

Cheers

Jon

3. Mikel

Fiber

Hopefully by next year the revenues for Google Fiber will start being significant enough to break out in its own line item.

4. Big Al

It's tough at the top.

My heart bleeds. But apparently that's not so unusual these days.

5. Tromos

Sound financial analysis

Why on earth would anyone invest in a company that makes a few puny billions here and there when there are opportunities to put your every last penny into someone who wrote a moderately successful game for telephones and hopes to maybe write another?

6. Bladeforce

This is what is..

.....stupid about the stock exchange. No company can keep going up and its just greed that fuels our economy not common sense

7. bigtimehustler

Investors really need to realise that making more money every year for an infinite number of years is an impossibility, even if you reached 100% efficiency, there are only so many resources in the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like