back to article Microsoft builds teleporter weapon to send VMware into Azure

Microsoft has fired another shot in its campaign to win over VMware users, in the form of an updated Virtual Machine Converter that can move virtual machines from ESXi to Hyper-V. It's no secret Microsoft covets VMware users: in recent times it has created a certification helping VMware users to grok Hyper-V. Redmond also uses …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ALL YOUR VMs ARE OURS

I believe this is based on Marc Farley's Project Hoover patent.

2. h4rm0ny

Before anyone over-reacts...

Azure has supported GNU/Linux for a long time. This isn't some radical new "OMG!!MS supports Linux" thing. It's just that their new tool includes support for importing them from VMWare. You've been able to buy GNU/Linux "servers" from MS in Azure for a long time.

3. DavidRa

Some of us still have physical servers you know

And yet, no sign of a replacement for P2V, removed from VMM 2012 R2. Which was removed, as I recall, so that it could be updated and released on an accelerated schedule.

Apparently the intended acceleration vector points backwards.

4. david 12 Silver badge

A link would be nice.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42497

There, was that so difficult?

A link to a MS press release would be nice too, but evidentally MS likes to keep their press releases confidental to their trusted outlets.

5. Anonymous Bullard

I think it's a good thing that MS have finally woken up and discovered that there are non-MS products that other people use.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong way. People decide on a platform for the ability to move off it if they need to rather than get locked in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm - no they really don't. 99% of them worry about that later....

7. W. Anderson

More Microsoft crap offerings

Even though knowledgeable and astute technologists 'know' that VMWare ESXI running on Enterprise Linux in a Linux based Cloud - like OpenStack, is significantly more reliable, scalable, powerful and especially secure than the these solutions running in Microsoft Azure and Hyper-V Cloud, there are many naive and simple minded Microsoft clients who will always fall for the "easy migration", (supposedly) lower costs pitch from Redmond.

Fortunately for Microsoft there are still doofus VMWare customers who still worship and admire Microsoft enough to make the company's bait and switch crap a success. Just look at the quantity of Azure crashes and security vulnerabilities suffered in the past year compared to competitors who are infinitely larger in scale, to prove that such a move is ridiculous.

1. K

Re: More Microsoft crap offerings

Simple - Use it it cautiously, demand the best, plan for the worst. If historically they have not delivered above and beyond the SLA you need, then find another solution for your critical systems.

We've recently been investigating using Cloud services such as Glacier for offsite storage, but I would never in a million years put business critical applications or systems on a 3rd party platform that a) don't offer a point of contact through to the engineer(s) running the system as standard (Why pay extra, just to get answers to the platform providers screw-up) and b) I have absolutely no control over.

Why? At the end of the day Uptime and Risk Management are part and parcel of working in IT. Don't put yourself in a position that you cannot manage or poses a risk to the company. That is not to say you should not take difficult decisions, but ensures they are measured an appropriate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like