back to article Linode raises Hourly Billing flag against Digital Ocean pirates

Linux server hosting provider Linode has introduced hourly billing after being buffeted by fierce competition in the hosting and cloud markets. The venerable hosting company announced on Wednesday that customers can now rent servers from it in hourly increments. Previously they were sold on a monthly basis. This means …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Information requested

Is there a technical blog, or even a formal article anywhere that I could read to learn how to set up one of these cloudy platform service things? I understand the principles but have never done it. I don't mind paying a few pounds (or dollars) for a learning experience. I find that the explanations on the websites of these companies is very high level, without the detail I need.

(Many years ago, I set up an Apache server on a non-standard port on my home PC and made a mini-website to show a photo album; so I do have some technical ability but I do need to be told the details.)

1. vagabondo

Re: Information requested

It's so cheap with the hourly rate that you just sign up an try it -- if you make a mistake you have only lost pennies, and can destroy your instance and start again. It is quite clear how yo spin up and get an initial login. After that it depends on the image/distribution that you select.

I recently started using DigitalOcean. I couldn't discover which distributions were available until after signing up. (Ubunto, Fedora, Centos and Arch). Then you use the selected distro's own wiki and forums etc. for help and documentation. I normally administer openSuSE, and chose a minimal Arch. It took less than two hours to add a user, configure sshd, perform a system update, and add/delete packages and personal scripts to suit, then have a nameserver in production.

I did not find the DIgitalOcean community forums very useful, although the company documentation was clear and helpful. To try something out it is quick and cheap to fire up an new temporary machine to experiment with - that is what I did to find out how to update the kernel, and fine tune the netw configuration for a faster start-up to remote login time. I had never used Arch Linux, with its unique package management and configuration tools before.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like