back to article Not so shiny shiny: MWC in a post-affluent iPhone world

The dynamic of the mobile phone market since about 2007 been shaped by Apple’s iPhone. Before the Jesus phone, the trend was ever tinier, ever shinier. Since then, it's been big screens, app stores and pricey handsets targeting relatively affluent markets. This year’s Mobile World Congress (MWC) saw a shift in that six-year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden

Good point

Why doesn't somebody pump out a anti smart phone.

Just a small well designed mobile phone with great battery life.

1. Peter Storm

Re: Good point

Well I suppose we already have the Jesus phone, so I suppose this would be the Antichrist phone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lots of companies still make non-smart phones and they aren't hard to find. They are cheap, reliable and have amazing battery life - think weeks between charges if you don't make many calls. My favorite is the Nokia 515, but it's relatively expensive for what it does. The Nokia 101 is even more basic and is seriously cheap.

3. Patrick Finch

Somebody did: the Nokia 220. eur 29, 40 days standby battery, IIRC. That was Nokia's first announcement at MWC.

4. Lionel Baden

Thank you for the links.

But to be honest, they all look like cheap rip-offs. or kids toys.

Would be nice to have a small phone with simple phone functions and look great built from superb materials.

But i understand the market just isn't there :/ but with all those billions floating about, one use for it could be high quality simple stylish phones. made at a minor loss but boost quality perception of your company.

We all know about nokia's ;)

2. Simon Rockman

such things exist

Doro

3. tsf

Sign me up!

I've stuck with my Nokia E52 for years because I don't want to give up my 3-4 week battery life and compact size for dubious "features"

At last sanity might be returning, or at least a glimmer of hope.

Just hope I don't have to move to the third world to get one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like