back to article Samsung Gear splurge skews smartwatch market Google’s way

Strategy Analytics, a market watcher, has provided an object lesson in how statistics can give a potentially skewed picture of the evolution of a new product category. Samsung Galaxy Gear Around a million Samsung Galaxy Gear were pumped into the channel after its launch SA yesterday claimed that Google’s OS, Android, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

y'know ...

... I think I might put my smartphone on a watch chain, and claim to have invented the whablet (whoblet, whonlet, ...)?

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: y'know ...

Couldn't be "whablet", where does the h come from?

The h in phablet is clearly from "phone". So it would be just "Wablet". But that would be wrist and tablet.

I guess unless you are putting a phablet on your wrist. VLW? Very Large Watch.

1. dogged

That would be the "Phatch".

Also, good article Tony.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. 0laf
          Go

Fob watch tablet...

Foblet?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no no surly that should be the pwablet, the pocket-watch tablet..

3. LarsG

It's a really ugly design of a 1970's early 1980's digital watch. Not only that but the plasticky retrograde case and strap just ooze 'cheap' even though it isn't.

The most likely senario, it will go the way of ra-ra skirts and shell suits, 3D TV's, here today gone tomorrow and resurrected every 15 or so years in the hope they might catch on.

If they really want them to be 'must have' they need to last a year without having to recharge and look good. At the moment they do neither.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Everyone knows 47% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

As for the watch, who needs it? My current one is rated to 100M depth and that's far deeper than I plan to go. I see no reason to replace it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

When will stupid manufacturers stop making products you don't want! IDIOTS!!!!

1. Steve Renouf

Er... When nobody buys them?!?

2. Darryl
      Happy

Yes, but can you dive to 100M and then update your Facebook status to "OMG I'm 100M below the surface!!" on your watch?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If a smart watch works to 100M and still can update facebook, then I will be very impressed!!!

3. Anonymous Custard

Yet SA judges that Firefox warrants an entry of its own in the table, but that Pebble does not.

Pebble says it had sent out more than 190,000 smartwatches by 6 November 2013.

But didn't send any of those 190,000 out as freebies to SA perhaps?

4. Eddy Ito

Wristicuffs!

Pebble needs to do some advertising (TV/radio) to start making big rocks out of small ones and grind Gears with Samsung. What does the Church of Scientology have against smart watches and how does it intend to give people a slap on the wrist?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many of the Gear sales were voided by people returning them for a refund. I bet those got excluded from the figures too.

I bet Samsung paid for this report, they're very good at BS marketing.

6. Byz

Well had a pebble since Christmas

One or two issues with lost connections with my phone but generally a very good experience :)

when I'm on the train and i get a message/email I can see if it's worth getting the phone out to read.

Also if I get a phone call it shows who it is from and I can either pick it up or reject it by pressing a button on the watch.Additionally notifications and calendar reminders are also forwarded.

I gave a pebble also to one of my children and they've liked using it as well.

It works with both iOS and Android :D

The pebble is simple but what it does it does well, I can recommend it.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like