back to article 'Demon Killer' who tied SD card to cat pleads not guilty

An ex-IT bod accused of masquerading as hacker "Demon Killer" to infiltrate PCs and send out a string of murderous threats in 2012 has protested his innocence at the opening of his trial in Tokyo District Court. Yusuke Katayama, who was an employee at an unnamed technology company, was finally nabbed in February 2013 after …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See the power of terrorism?

Before everyone would ignore the boy crying wolf. Now we have an enemy. He is at the very gates. OMG! Fear and trembling. Take it all! Take my soul! Just spare my Facebook... puleeze. (>_<)

2. tony2heads
    Thumb Up

cat with SD card

I can haz jailtime?

3. Martin Maloney
    Coat

Stop me, before I pun again

Of course, he got caught.

His riddles let the cat out of the bag.

[boo-hiss]

4. Valeyard

wow!

I wonder how many demons he's killed!!!!!

(or how many people he has killed AS a demon. Either is impressive, to tell you the truth)

5. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Hmm...

I suspect that the cat did it and then framed him with carefully planted "evidence".

Perhaps he'll remember this incident the next time he considers buying budget cat food.

6. DrXym

Sounds like he wanted to get caught

Taunting the police is a surefire way to get their attention and increase the chances of getting arrested. Contrary to popular belief they are not morons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds like he wanted to get caught

"Taunting the police is a surefire way to get their attention and increase the chances of getting arrested."

I'd agree that the guy sounds like he's a bit of a Walt, and enjoys attention, however....

"Contrary to popular belief they are not morons."

Hmmm. To quote:

"The accused caused much embarrassment for Japan’s National Police Agency. Not only did they arrest and detain the owners of the hacked PCs, holding one for several weeks, before realising their mistake, but they were also led on a wild goose chase by “Demon Killer”."

It may not hold true for the majority of Police officers, but this particular bunch sound fairly moronic to me.

1. Shooter
        Holmes

Re: Sounds like he wanted to get caught

The problem with being a criminal is that it's not good enough just to be smarter than any given police officer; you have to be smarter than *all* the police.

While on average the police may not be any brighter than the crooks they are chasing, eventually there will be one cop just smart enough (or just experienced enough) to catch most crims.

Icon, because.

7. Chairo
    FAIL

The best part

was that the Japanese police already pressed confessions out of some of the innocents they arrested.

They seem to be very committed to their work - quite frightening...

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: The best part

This was apparently part of the reason for his grievances with the police. In Japan once you've been arrested then you are assumed guilty and expected to confess, almost everyone does.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

It sounds like the guy is more of a whistleblower than a demon then, although I'm sure the innocent victims aren't particularly happy with his approach of highlighting the issue.

If it had been me that had been targetted and arrested it would be hard to decide who is more to blame, the hacker or the police.

2. Psyx

"This was apparently part of the reason for his grievances with the police. In Japan once you've been arrested then you are assumed guilty and expected to confess, almost everyone does."

Unlike our country, where the police just arrest anyone willy-nilly.

Yeah: Our policing system is vastly superior.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is almost as good as the recent Reg article about the IT guy caught pleasuring himself with a sheep. It's all over our local paper as he's in court at the moment and lives only a few streets away from me. His defence seems to be that he took his clothes off as it was a hot day, but I don't know how rogering an ungulate is supposed to help cool you down ...

1. teebie

A simple fit of pique. It was his was of saying "f--- you, woolly jumpers"

2. Martin Maloney
      Happy

Victimless crime?

In 1968 or thereabouts, a cartoon in Playboy showed a shepherd, sitting, with his back against a tree, playing his flute. Nearby stood a sheep, winking at him!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I don't know how rogering an ungulate is supposed to help cool you down

No, I didn't believe it would help either until I... er, never mind.

9. teebie

"Prosecutors have as many as 637 pieces of circumstantial evidence"

And hopefully some pieces of actual evidence? Circumstantial evidence doesn't seem to have served them very well in this case so far.

1. Turtle

Re: "Prosecutors have as many as 637 pieces of circumstantial evidence"

In general there are two kinds of evidence: direct evidence and circumstantial evidence. As an example of circumstantial evidence, consider "fingerprints". The idea that circumstantial evidence is somehow inherently weak or flimsy is popular but mistaken.

Here's a good place to start reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstantial_evidence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_evidence

10. DNTP

Thanks to this article I now have the search term "Enoshima" in my search history.

And of course "cat" is there too but I suspect this is true for 99.9% of internet users.

That's some two pieces of circumstantial evidence right there, when can I expect the Japanese to try to extradite me. If they should get around to it I will of course confess to any crime they want since it would be a dishonor of their noble investigative efforts to protest.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Japan's Cyberterrorist :)

Elsewhere, I see references already to "Japan's Cyberterrorist", yet another pretext by the gutter-press to daemonize hardworking law-abiding technical support personnel. Anyways, it is traditional in Japanese society for the arrestee to immediately cop-a-plea and admit guilt, regardless of whether he did it or not.

12. kng useless

as TJ used to sing, probably still does, What's new pussycard?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like