back to article Hot naked Asian racks in Cali: El Reg snaps Open Compute servers for all

Manufacturers in Asia are taking Facebook's Open Compute server blueprints, tweaking the designs, and selling the manufactured kit to the masses, The Register has learned. Here at the Open Compute Project (OCP) Summit in San Jose, California, Facebook has spent two days talking up the benefits of its customizable, low-cost …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon Green
    Facepalm

"Cheap-as-chips gear"?

Some indication of costs/pricing would have helped us to decide whether it was - or wasn't!

2. Pahhh

Seems un-exciting

If I was to come up with a revolutionary design for rack servers I would at least consider a standardised way of liquid cooling the H/W as cooling next to power, is one of the biggest pain points in scaling a data center.

3. MatsSvensson

But what are the perks with such a design?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

They are cheap to the point of "disposable".

4. Vociferous
  5. Martin Huizing

"ARM and Intel, sat together in perfect harmony" Missed chance, there.

Intelly and Armany live together in perfect harmony, side by side in my rackmount server, oh Lord, why don't we?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "ARM and Intel, sat together in perfect harmony" Missed chance, there.

I see your statement where you painted intel black, no billgates anymore I want my '80s back

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Horizontal mounting only makes snese for small enclosures

I wish you get get rack mounting kits that would allow you to mount 19"/21" units vertically in full/half-height cabs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like