back to article MPAA spots a Google Glass guy in cinema, calls HOMELAND SECURITY

An Ohio man is crying foul after he was detained and interrogated by the feds – because he wore a Google Glass headset in a movie theater. The bloke, who wishes to remain anonymous, said he was pulled from a screening of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit at the AMC Easton Town Center in Columbus by men who he claims identified …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dan Paul

According to the Law.....

You have a right to confront your accuser. I suggest that he sue the MPAA for fraud & kidnapping and attempted rape. Two different charges, one to get attention from the press and one to win.

1. Thorne

Re: According to the Law.....

"fraud & kidnapping and attempted rape"

Which charge was the real one and which one was to get the press?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So that's being assumed as guilty until you can prove your innocence then...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why was homeland security involved? This is not an immigration issue. Why didn't he have a lawyer present? Why didn't they check his glasses first instead of hours of questioning? Is having a prescription pair of Google glasses probable cause to detain someone in a theater?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's mentioned in the Article why Homeland were involved,

To quote

"The US Department of Homeland Security polices piracy through its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) branch and the National Intellectual Property Rights Center. The office works with movie studios and cinemas to stop the reproduction and distribution of pirated films."

1. gap

Aren't Customs / ICE part of the larger Homeland Security department?

3. LarsG

He was lucky

They didn't just shoot him first and ask questions later....

Just wait until the first suicide bomber uses a pair of Google glasses....

They'll be the fashion accessory you will never wear.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In Tennessee or Kentucky he would have been shot first, skinned and made into lampshades.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This reminds me of the old cautionary joke

A woman who is on holiday with her husband on a fishing trip, well the husband goes for the fishing and the woman for some peace and quiet. One day the husbands been a dick or some such so she decides to take the boat out onto the lake and read a book. The boat of course still has the husbands fishing gear on it. (who knows why, it all seems like a suspicious set up to me)

Anyway after a couple of hours the park ranger or whatever it is that patrols this sort of thing rides his boat over and asks her whether she has a permit to fish, she says she hasn't, the ranger type informs her he's going to fine her as she has the equipment for fishing, she responds that she'll report him for rape as he happens to have the equipment for raping. The ranger goes on his way.

1. Charles 9

Re: This reminds me of the old cautionary joke

Then imagine the chagrin when the Ranger informs her he DOESN'T have the equipment, having been emasculated, AND that he's now adding false accusation to the charges.

2. Grogan Silver badge

Americans try and paint everything as a threat to national security. Copyright infringement is a threat to national security because imaginary property is about the only thing the USA has left.

Pathetic bullies whose influences are waning.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wo there little hoss, I'm an american and I can state right here, right now, what you said is not true for all of us. Sure, we got a f'd up system and many of us are sick of it, but we are powerless to do anything about it. Yeah, you can vote about it but all your doing is replacing one evil idiot for another. Money talks, nothing else. We do what we can, we f up quite a bit, but everything I just described applies to a hell of a lot of other places in the world. So don't go pointing at our dirty laundry without looking at yours first. If you want to swap laundry detergent ideas, rock on. If you want to be ignorant, well, there are plenty of sites for slurs.

Hey! And no down vote for you!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If your political system no longer reflects the wishes of the people and you are no longer able to affect positive change then you are no longer in a democracy Mr. Taylor 1.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. "

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? "

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add “within the limits of the law,” because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."

All quotes from Thomas Jefferson. A man who saw oppression, refused to accept it was inevitable, and helped found your country. He was an American. I see very few like him today.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Actually old boy,

"Thomas Jefferson was an American."

He was British and a traitor.

1. Charles 9

Re: Actually old boy,

No, he was fully American: born and raised in Virginia.

1. P. Lee
              Facepalm

>"Thomas Jefferson was an American."

>>He was British and a traitor.

>>>No, he was fully American: born and raised in Virginia.

... and that made him British.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Stop

Forget the words and any sense therein, concentrate on his nationality.

Simple concepts, better for tweets, sound bites, ignorant plebs with short attention spans.

break for adds....

I can't help feeling that is a better insight into the current problems than I could articulate.

2. JEDIDIAH
                Thumb Down

>>"Thomas Jefferson was an American."

>>>He was British and a traitor.

>>>>No, he was fully American: born and raised in Virginia.

.> .. and that made him British.

No. That made him a Virginian and he would have told you so.

That's something else that people tend to overlook about the States, the fact that we are distinct states. You would think the name would be a clue. Apparently not.

3. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Treason doth NEVER prosper - what's the reason?

If it doth prosper, none dare call it treason....

Sir John Harrington. 1561-1612

2. Purlieu

Born in 1743 so British, mwerr

1. sparkiemj

Thomas Jefferson is known as an American - a founding father esp. of the American Constitution and one of the Presidents of USA ..

Even the White House calls him an American so u with ur pathetic ill-knowledge shouldn't declare him British or otherwise thereby distorting your own country's history and facts as well as making yourself look like an ignoramus and getting many down votes !!

2. Amorous Cowherder
            Headmaster

"Thomas Jefferson was an American."

He was British and a traitor.

--------

You're thinking of Thomas Paine, he was radical corset maker from Norfolk I believe, he influenced Benjamin Franklin and Jefferson as they were forming the fledgling US congress. Well worth reading his books, they're as relevant today as they ever were, especially when he has a go at religion being there simply to repress people. He famously got invited to join the post revolutionary French government and refused to learn a word of French!

2. apjanes

If your political system no longer reflects the wishes of the people...

Beautiful sentiments Mr. Anon. Unfortunately I'm not sure we are much better off on that front in the UK. You may have the power to change the faces at the front for other faces that look pretty much the same, but the same old bureaucracy still rules underneath :(

1. steamrunner

Re: If your political system no longer reflects the wishes of the people...

To slightly divert from the topic:

Those familiar with the 'history' of the comic character Judge Dredd will be aware that the mechanism by which the last government (President) of the United States finally fell, in the year 2070, was none other than [the wording of] the Constitution of the United States itself. The Judges invoked the constitution to take over from the (rigged) elected US government. That outcome has always struck me as beautifully ironic.

S.

3. mrobaer
          Unhappy

actually...

This representative democracy we're subject to has taken quite a lot of power out of our hands. And because there are so many of us, it would have to be a very serious uprising of united citizens to even make a change. We seem to not even be able to agree that we're disagreeing in this country.

2. Scott 62

I read this in a Fargo accent, for some reason.

2. David 14

But... it is the USA...

You know... the same place where property rights as so sacred that it is considered acceptable in many states to kill a person with a gun if they are sealing something from you. Only in the USA does theft of "stuff" mean so much that death is considered an appropriate punishment.

Yet for some reason, John Q. Public of the USA would be at the front of the demonstration that was fighting against cutting of a persons hand for stealing if it were to happen in a Middle Eastern country.... go figure!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But... it is the USA...

Again, not sure where your from but, obviously, you've never been to the USA. You just can't kill someone for stealing, and if you do, you damn well better have a good story ready and be ready for an uphill battle.

This statement isn't even in the lines of the original story, just rants about America. First things first, not all states allow guns. Second, even the states that do, doesn't mean the wild west, there are restrictions that damn near make it not worth having one. Third, if you do live somewhere that you can have one and you shoot someone for stealing, you will go to jail. Period. You damn well better have a good reason, some connections, and some money to get out. You simply can't shoot someone in the back and plant an iPhone on them.

Hey, I'm all for cutting a thief's hands off, many of us are, its actually been done here and debated about to do so again. I think you are simply another ignorant foreigner who gets their "edumakation" from the local old men telling folk stories and probably the internet.

I hate guns, grew up with them all my life and never cared for them, but Pandoras box was open waaaaay before I was born and guns are not going away, and When someone is getting ready to do you or your family harm, I think I'd rather have one and take my chances.

Again, if you have some other ideas, by all means, let us know. Want to point a finger and bitch, then expect to be treated as such.

1. croc

What state doesn't allow gun ownership? (Are you sure that you are a 'merkin'?)

More to the point, what other nation would send around a glorified customs agent to shake down someone for a civil penalty? I mean, what was the guy trying to sneak into the country? Or out of it? I mean, it wasn't a how-to movie on terrorism, now was it?

2. br0die

Name me a state that doesn't allow guns. There isn't one. The 2nd Amendment has that one pretty well covered (and no, NYC is not a state).

Secondly, you absolutely can use lethal force in defense of property, in many states. Castle Doctrine, Stand Your Ground, and Make My Day laws make this possible.

1. Alan_Peery

You're confused -- those laws aren't there to protect the *property*, but your life and status to be unmolested on said same property. Were you to drive by and see someone in your living room when you knew no one else would be home (including your pets), those laws wouldn't apply as you can leave safely.

Of course, having seen someone in your living room last week would give added credence to the charge of self defense/"Castle Doctrine" should they come around when you are at tome.

2. jamedoughotmail

Castle Doctrine or Stand your ground laws do not apply to defense of property. Those laws are in place so if a person reasonably fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to him or herself or another then they are not legally required to attempt to retreat. They can "stand their ground" and use force, lethal if warranted, to defend themselves.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Castle Doctrine, Stand Your Ground, and Make My Day laws make this possible.

Is the last one related to the Do You Feel Lucky Punk law by any chance?

2. Jake Maverick

you're not powerless, you still have your guns....

3. JEDIDIAH
        Mushroom

> You know... the same place where property rights as so sacred that it is considered acceptable in many states to kill a person with a gun i

No. You can be shot for committing the violent act of burglary. The notion of "home invasion" being a crime of violence is an idea that we inherited from that country that founded our original colonies.

It's not about "stuff". It's about being enough of a man that there's a place you don't have to retreat from.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> It's not about "stuff". It's about being enough of a man that there's a place you don't have to retreat from.

Ah, yes, the Mucho Macho thing. It works so well in practice.

Just what's wrong with fucking off for the time being and calling the Old Bill to deal with the intruder, hopefully in a reasonably civilised manner? Would that hurt your pride or something?

3. gefitz

The American Government tries to paint everything as a threat to national security. The American public simply goes along...when they question "why", the answer is inevitably "Because 9/11." This still causes the American public to reply "Oh, well then. Carry on." without a care in the world. Except for 9/11, of course.

1. Oh Homer
        Big Brother

In a nation owned by corporations...

...all corporate interests are matters of "national security".

4. Dan Paul
      FAIL

Americans are not your "Pathetic Bullies"

American POLITICIANS ( some of whom have been bought and paid for by the MPAA and RIAA)try and paint everything as a threat to national security.

There, fixed it for you.

You really should try reality, instead of stupidity; it just works better. By the way, who's going step in when you really need them to? Do you trust anyone else?

3. Lost In Clouds of Data
    WTF?

Going to be a painful future

Just as the plods are busy spying on us, the rest of the world is going to be spying on them. If they haven't worked it out yet that Google Glass is just the tip of the iceberg, then they're going to have a hell of a wake up call.

I blame Governor Kasich myself. We've been going downhill ever since the idiots voted him in.

1. ThomH

Re: Going to be a painful future

Agreed in principle. What American*, no matter how frightened of terrorism, actually wants their tax dollars spent on getting Homeland Security to rough up people in cinemas? No politician of any party is going to stand up and defend this.

That said, supposing the man had started filming as security approached him then the likely outcome would have been that (i) since he has now taken video footage without permission in a cinema, obviously he's a terrorist and can go straight to jail; and (ii) his device would have been confiscated before he had a chance to send footage anywhere.

(* or anyone else, anywhere else — this just happens to be an American story)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Goldmember

"fucking hell what american* actually believes that homeland security are roughing up people in cinemas -- in utah of all fucking places -- because they're wearing google glasses???"

Did you bother to read the article or just skip straight to the comments?

2. Lost In Clouds of Data
          Trollface

Gawd, for an AC you're monumentally stupid.

First off, it's OHIO - that's in the Midwest, not freakin' Utah - that's over the western part of the US! How can we expect you to have anything worthwhile to say when you can't get the fucking state correct? Just because I-80 happens to go through both doesn't mean it's the same bleeding state.

Secondly, http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/01/21/google-glass-at-easton-theater.html. Columbus Dispatch - well regarded newspaper in our humble state.

For fuck's sakes, stop being a blithering troll and try using a brain cell next time (your other one is apparently desperately lonely).

1. David 14

Hmm... I live in Newfoundland, Canada. Most Americans I speak to have no idea where that is... I guess their ignorance of geography means they have no right to other opinions?

1. Lost In Clouds of Data
              Stop

When one makes a statement like "in utah of all fucking places" then one are signifying knowledge of the locale. Thus, one sounds monumentally stupid.

1. nexsphil

...sounds monumentally stupid

A bit like saying "when one ARE". Don't fuck up grammar when trying to insult others' intelligence.

2. turnbulld

You made a geographical mistake as large as saying something that happened in St Johns actually happened in Saskatoon and then brushed it off because Americans don't know geography. Well, one, you gotta have a lot of something to screw up that badly and blame the offended party for your mistake and two Americans know all the geography they need to know. Making sweeping generalizations about over 300 million people is about as accurate as stating that all Canadians are mild mannered, overly polite, Tim Hortons addicts. Clearly, neither position is so accurate.

1. That's it man, game over man, game over!

Mmmm I miss Tim Horton's, need to book another holiday to Canada.

1. TheRealRoland

Not necessary, just drive/fly to Detroit, or drive from Indianapolis to the east for 80 miles or so. a number of Tim Horton's to be found. some are collocated with a Wendy's. I also came across some while driving from Buffalo to Vermont.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.