back to article E-tagged insects a buzz for research

Australian science agency the CSIRO is fitting sensors onto thousands of honeybees in a research program designed to shed light on colony collapses. The “swarm sensing” project uses 2.5mm-square devices that will be attached to as many as 5,000 bees in Hobart, Tasmania. One aim of the project will be to work out which bees …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Alert

Phase IV

The time to worry is when all the signals from those tags form one massive Super Swarm and is found to be heading towards the research laboratory!

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Re: Phase IV

Unless you find that all the tags are in a pile under the tree where the bee-eater is nesting. Would still mess up the experiment though!

2. Martin Huizing

Saw a docu about bees the other day. What struck me most was how bees communicate with each other in their hives telling other bees where greener pastures could be found. The mathematics in their methods is astounding. I believe understanding their social interactions will greatly increase knowledge and help scientists come up with theories on why Colonies collapse.

So much left undiscovered in the animal kingdom. I hope one day it will help us find ballance before it is too late.

3. jasonbstanding

Bee shaving. NOW we're talking.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Forget talking

I want that on my resume.

4. jai

covered in beeeeeesssssss

I like my coffee like I like my bees, with an RFID chip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo

5. John Vickers

Ugly bags of mostly water care not for bee privacy.

This topic is closed for new posts.