back to article Slovenian jailed for creating code behind 12 MILLION strong 'Mariposa' botnet army

A Slovenian virus writer who created an infamous strain of malware used to infect an estimated 12 million computers worldwide has been jailed for almost five years. Matjaž Škorjanc (who operated under the handle Iserdo) was sentenced by a Slovenian court for writing the code used to create the infamous Mariposa botnet. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. codeusirae
    Facepalm

Win32/Rimecud summary ..

"Win32/Rimecud is a family of worms with multiple components that spreads via removable drives, and instant messaging. It also contains backdoor functionality that allows unauthorized access to an affected system." link

2. Matheus

As you all probably know - 99,999% of all botnet machines are Windows-machines. I just wonder what historiians are telling about Windows era (1992-2010), vulnerability, malwares, spywares, crapwares, NSA and Gates.

1. pacman7de
      Windows

Future historians and Windows era...

There viruses are most probably sent back from the future to enthuse Windows XP users to upgrade.

"Searching the Internet for evidence of time travelers" http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1312/1312.7128.pdf

1. Ted Treen
        Coat

Re: Future historians and Windows era...

I'm a time traveller:-

in the past 24 hours I've gone from yesterday into today: and in another few hours I'll segue into tomorrow.

:-)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mpeler

Today is Tomorrow's Yesterday....

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually the you of yesterday and the you of today are two different people, people being the sum of their experience and genes and all. This way everyone gets to be Dr.Who but without the extra heart sonic, screwdriver is optional

PS

I don't expect a reply because we both died after we finished our posts

2. Archie Woodnuts

Probably

that you're more likely to make money if you target the platform with an overwhelming market share?

To illustrate: would you target junk mail at one guy with no letterbox or everyone else and their dustbin-sized slots?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you're going to write a virus you target the biggest OS.

1. eulampios

@AC

If you're going to write a virus you target the biggest OS.

For this very purpose you might also make sure to choose the arguably most fattest and messiest OS available.

4. TheTallGuy

And 99% of mobile malware is Linux/android based, give it a rest, all malware now is really the fault of the wetware.

1. eulampios
        Linux

@TheTallGuy

"And 99% of mobile malware is Linux/android based..."

99% of those are not viruses but trojans never having a chance to get installed on users' systems and so exist only for AV ads, "security researchers" and other gullible folks' amusement.

It might be because of the Android's apps transparent permissions system or Google Play or the fact that Android runs atop of (modified a bit) Linux kernel and never manages to be as fat and messy as MS Windows.

3. Turtle

Nice Threads - With A Suitable Motif!

The article links to http://grahamcluley.com/2013/12/mariposa-botnet-mastermind-receives-almost-five-year-prison-sentence/ where you can see a picture of Matjaž Škorjanc, appropriately dressed.

4. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

why oh why

Why has such excellence of wisdom, wit and practical pragmatic brilliance been allowed to fester into and unto criminality?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like