back to article Yahoo! boss! Mayer! sez! soz! for! lengthy! mail! outage!

Yahoo! chief Marissa Mayer appeared to be furious with her company late on Friday when she took to the Purple Palace's official Tumblr blog to apologise to users of its email service, who were locked out of their accounts for several days. "This has been a very frustrating week" she said, before adding "we are very sorry." …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo corporate mail is *not* Yahoo mail

The corporate mail is not Yahoo mail: it's a Yahoo mail UI bolted onto Exchange. Bear that in mind when you hear how Y! droids supposedly hate using it: the backend is entirely different.

The corporate mail now is settling down, it's the Calendar which is still crap. But since Exchange is crap when not working with Outlook (see iCal) that's not entirely a surprise...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yahoo corporate mail is *not* Yahoo mail

Either way, it's still crap. I'd rather use Outlook.

1. channel extended
        Pirate

Re: Yahoo corporate mail is *not* Yahoo mail

Yes, I would prefer that you used Outlook myself. (More Holes).

2. Dave K

First the layout, now this

Yet another calamity to hit them, following the awful roll out of their updated interface a couple of months back. In just 2 months, Yahoo Mail has gone from a powerful and flexible interface on top of a pretty reliable mail system, to a crippled, stripped out and lousy UI on top of a flaky mail system. Two reasons why I'm in the process of ditching my 14 year-old Yahoo Mail account...

3. Only me!

Pity .... I am furious about the first f%&k up

No point in them getting uptight about the outage.... As far as I am concerned the outag started when they revamped the layout to make it ....now what's the word....unusable (at least that is printable).

The outage was a convenience.... I did not have to use the rubbish.

I have been with yahoo for years on one account...all I can say is use IMAP. That way it is only the outages I have to fear!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rare

She said that they encountered a "particularly rare" problem when attempting to restore the mail accounts as "different users were impacted in different ways."

Why did they bother restoring the accounts? Surely the majority of valid email addresses are just abandoned spam pits with tens of thousands of unread viruses and phisings?

5. AndyS

99.9% uptime?

Not this year. 4 days down in a year is closer to 98.9%. Or, if we pick our period (like they are obviously doing), then 43% up time last week.

1. Tom 13

Re: 99.9% uptime?

It's still 99.9% up time over all users. Remember only 1% of users were down in the initial outage. And usually those sorts of things dance around real uptime by excluding scheduled maintenance.

It's one of the reasons I don't regard 99.9% uptime as a valid performance criteria, there are too many ways to massage the numbers to make yourself look good.

6. IT Hack

Yahoo layout boohoo

Thunderbird is your friend.

1. DB2DBA

Re: Yahoo layout boohoo

Eudora was better...

1. IT Hack

eudora

fair enough...point was that you can use an email client...

2. An0n C0w4rd

surely Thunderbird is only your friend if you pay Y! more to get POP or IMAP access? As far as I was aware those protocols weren't available by default and needed a yearly subscription.

1. Mark 65

Don't need to pay any more. Since gmail has let you have free imap access Yahoo's pay model died on its arse. I don't pay and can get imap access. Give it a whirl.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

She said that they encountered a "particularly rare" problem

There was a huge black swan blocking the entrance.

8. Fihart

Resign !

Hasn't that bloody woman gone yet ?

9. Shannon Jacobs

Yahoo, best friend of spammers everywhere

Couldn't happen to a more deserving company. Of the big three, Yahoo is clearly #1 in supporting spammers, especially in providing the dropboxes to reach suckers, but also in helping the spammers with the separate throwaway addresses where so much of the spam comes from.

If Yahoo had been serious about shutting down the spammers' business models starting some years ago, we would be in a much better world. Now it's basically too late and we are dealing with serious and professional criminals, but... Imagine if Yahoo had provided integrated anti-spammer tools starting several years ago. Rather than playing games and feeding the spammers while they grew so strong and dangerous, we--ALL of the people who sincerely and fiercely hate spam--could have helped shut down ALL of the spammers' infrastructure, pursue ALL of the spammers' accomplices, and help and protect ALL of the spammers' victims. The "victims" is not just the suckers who send money to the spammers, but the corporations whose reputations are abused by the spammers, and even all of the other people who use the Internet. Also, can you imagine the value added to Yahoo Mail if the spammers were afraid of it? Given the reality, that's a ROFLMAO act of imagination.

Oh well. Evidently it's too late now. We don't have any option but to live with the spammers. Certainly nothing Yahoo can do about it. They can barely keep their email system afloat on the tide of their own spam.

10. Jodo Kast

Horrible AJAX mail

The new Yahoo Mail doesn't even work properly. Whoever developed the AJAX interface is a newbie.

1. kain preacher

Re: Horrible AJAX mail

Jodo I'll except that but who the hell signed off on it ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like