back to article Dell feels cold probe of US Dept of Justice amid Syria PC sales claims

US authorities are investigating claims of embargo-busting sales of Dell computers to the Syrian government. It is understood officials at the US Department of Justice (DoJ) are looking into allegations that the equipment was resold into the blood-stained nation despite strict trade sanctions. The probe was revealed this week …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I truly hope this company goes down in flames....for anything. I cannot express enough how much I hate dealing with Dell. If they spent half as much on improving their products and support as they do on the wall of bullshit they've put in place to hinder people, they would be a great company that people would flock to.

They've even dragged the name of alienware down.

1. Nyms

Dell and Alienware

They haven't dragged it down, they've destroyed it. When they went to their own build in December they forgot to train tech support (or even provide documentation--or to allow their system to recognize their own serial numbers to initially REACH tech support) and I've heard from three users since that said they went downhill since then and one who said Alienware was as good or better than ever. Remember the one in four. Then again, a 0.25 success rate is less than totally admirable. IMHO

2. Dan Paul

Misplaced Anger Much? Not Dell's Fault here!

Geez, seems like some misplaced anger against Dell... I have know several companies that have been grassed up by DoJ over resold equipment. Seems that no matter how much you tell people not to do something illegal they will do so gladly when there is enough profit in it.

I can agree that they are not as good as they could be but frankly they are better than most computer companies we deal with.

Dell did not sell the equipment to Syria, they sold it to a company in a "safe" country who abused their relationship with Dell. Therefore this is NOT DELL'S FAULT!

1. kain preacher

Re: Misplaced Anger Much? Not Dell's Fault here!

And of course the DoJ looks at it differently. If Dell knew or should of known that a reseller is breaking they law they should of cut them off.. I'm not saying I agree. They " should of know part is what gets people in the DoJ trap.

It's like saying you should of known that an alcoholic would drive drunk so you should of never given them your car keys. Now the fact that you did not know the person was an alcoholic is irrelevant if your friends knew then you should of knew.

1. JoshOvki

I think a more appropriate example would be:

It's like saying you should of known that an alcoholic would drive drunk so you should of never sold the car to the person that has given them the car keys.

Unless someone in Syria filled in the Warranty Card saying "Yes we use your equipment here for evil, mwhahaha" etc how was Dell to even know that their kit was being shipped to Syria?

2. JaitcH

The US is always trying to block technology. Once it is out of the USA or Canada, it's available to anyone with money.

Damn USA! You would think some sane person would intervene before it starts throwing legal papers around.

Just another reason to avoid buying US products. I presume, seeing how they are high tech, iPhones are banned, too? Unless their sales are outweighed by the NSA listening in to Syrians.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US gov can go piss in the wind

for all the majority of people in the middle east are concerned.

So DELL sells to a Company in Dubai. Dubai makes its money by trading. That company will sell the goods onto another in say Jordan. That company will mysteriously lose the kit and put it on a truck that a week or so later ends up in Syria via Lebanon.

The US needs to understand the lesson the Brits learned back in the day of Lawerence. Those pesky Arabs are past masters of slipping stuff through blockades. Even Israel has to admit its problems with 'stuff' getting into Gaza.

Stuff mysteriously dissapears overnight even from very secure places.

I've seen it for my very eyes in Amman and other places in the region.

4. Blain Hamon
    Joke

Problem solved!

"America's Syria Accountability Act prohibits the sale of goods containing more than 10 per cent US-made component parts to Syria."

Good thing that all the parts are made in China then, fnar fnar.

5. Don Jefe

10% US Made Content

Somebody forgot to renew their trans-shipping permit. It was probably just an oversight, Dell has been pretty busy this year.

In all seriousness, nothing about US trade law is straightforward. One law says exports to Syria are restricted but another law says those restrictions don't apply to a, b, or d, just to c. There's a legitimate, legal workaround for every law that's enacted. All things explodey are marginally better controlled, but unless it's a tank, an aircraft or a nuclear weapon you don't even have to look very hard to find the correct form to fill out to get the shipment OK'd.

Everybody in the export business knows the rules and everybody works within them. It's simply crazy not to, as there aren't really any restrictions, just a few extra forms. There's also the liabilities. When we export finished machines, metal working equipment or certain raw materials I am responsible for seeing that those things end up in the correct persons hands.

If we build an advanced pipe cutting machine for the French but it ends up in Iran making parts for use in a gaseous diffusion enrichment facility I'm going to prison, for a long time. Me. I'm swearing under oath that the stated destination is the truth and I'm agreeing to be responsible for the products until ownership has been formally transferred. If something goes wrong I'm the first person who goes to jail, others may follow.

My point is, there's nothing to be gained by a US company in trans-shipping some computers. The government won't stop the transaction as long as you ask first and fill out the form. It's far cheaper and easier to do it all above board, everybody knows this. If somebody is breaking the rules there's a lot going on we won't ever hear about.

It's entirely possible these computers were meant for the rebels but the plot was undone by Assad & Co, now they're just trying to make things more difficult for everyone. It's also possible the distributor was once a trusted asset and pissed somebody off so they've thrown him to the wolves in his own government. Who knows really, but it isn't as straightforward as a distributor ignoring the rules. There's no point in not playing by the rules.

6. Oh Homer
    Big Brother

How did Syria get Dell PCs?

Probably the same way their "rebels" got arms: channeled by the CIA through Saudi.

7. YARR
    Facepalm

A couple of points

1. US law has no jurisdiction outside of the US, so good luck enforcing US laws in Dubai.

2. Why is the Syrian govenment classified as a terrorist state? Is there some evidence that has been presented in a court of law to justify this classification?

3. Why bother restricting that sale of PCs? The Syrians could just as easily buy direct from the Chinese, e.g. from Lenovo. At least if they buy US / western PCs there's a chance that they'll have hardware / firmware / software with NSA backdoors in so they can be remotely monitored. Plus exports from US / western coountries shoud be welcomed to help balance the huge trade deficit.

1. Don Jefe

Re: A couple of points

The US has jurisdiction to control the movement of restricted US goods anywhere that restricted US goods are. You agree to that to get approved as a destination for restricted goods. If you lose control of those goods it's on you to get them back. It's absolutely required that you use your resources to stop the transfer of restricted materials at the request of the US.

The rules dealing with the transfer of restricted materials are completely different thing than regular trade agreements. Every country that exports restricted materials has very serious rules with very serious repercussions in place for breaking those rules.

If it isn't during wartime most countries that don't even like each other will assist in enforcing technology transfer restrictions. The idea being that while a foreign country having the technology is not a perfect scenario, it's a whole lot better than some lunatic or separatist radical having the technology. Not enforcing the other country's rules also means you either won't get access to the next great new thing or if you do get access it costs you a whole lot more than everybody else pays.

Everybody plays by those rules.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Political?

As an employee, I really don't see what more the company can do. Their internal attempts to adhere to the policy of not dealing with US embargoed countries is almost fanatical. Annual mandatory training courses, email campaigns, flyers and printouts, and that goes for every employee no matter what your role is. It also goes into painstaking depth about just this scenario. If you put an order though on the sales system, you get several pop ups to confirm you have discussed export compliance, ensured they're not reselling to an embargoed country etc. Its over the f*cking top in a way only a large US corporation can be. But at the end of the day, how difficult is it to buy the kit in the name of "Peace and Love LTD", say its to be used to save the children, then stick it in a shipping container and sling it over the border?

Makes me wonder, Is the real problem here that someone thinks Mikes "political campaign contributions" could do with having another couple of 0's stuck on the end of the cheque?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Political?

Interesting timing with internal corporate events, if nothing else. The privatisation thing has been on the burner for about the same length of time. I don't believe in coincidence.

9. paulc
    Mushroom

bleepin rich of the Americans...

"Dell does not conduct any business directly in any country identified as a state sponsor of terrorism, including Syria"

Which country currently provides the most aid to Al Qaeda? USA...

Which country is responsible for the vast majority of terrorism around the globe? Israel... (and most of that is in the form of 'false flag' attacks...)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When ordering from Dell I did once tick "Yes" to the question "Will this PC will be used in the preparation of terrorism and weapons of mass destruction".

This was about 13 years ago, I'm still waiting for a knock at the door.

(A/C as I don't want to make it too easy for them).

1. Don Jefe

You know, I honestly wonder if those checkboxes are really attached to a field in the database. Like it's graphical only. You're not the only person that's checked those boxes and I don't know anyone who got visited by ninjas or black helicopters.

It sure seems like somebody would follow up on that... Just like it seems that it would be exceptionally illegal for your sales rep to change your answer. If you did check the 'Yes to nuclear terrorism' box and they sold you stuff and you actually went and nuked someone the resultant shitstorm would have massive implications for technology sales forever. People would probably hang for that. Maybe it's all bullshit security theater.

11. Internet ToughGuy
    Big Brother

Outdated rules

Dell are in trouble for selling to a reseller who in turn sold to the Syrian government. I used to work at Dell, and every year we had to take export compliance training which covered embargoed countries, and additionally told that every sales person has to ask for end user details before proceeding with any order. Even non-sales staff have to take these courses every year. If the reseller lied to Dell about the end destination of the devices, then Dell are in the clear, but if Dell sold to the Syrian government, even through a third party, then they are subject to fines and possibly (although it'll never happen) suspension of their export licence.

Why I think the rules are outdated is that Dell now sell through not just channel partners, but through retail outlets, so Syria could easily have walked into the equivalent of Dixons and picked laptops off the shelves, paid cash, and nobody would be any wiser.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Outdated rules

You're absolutely correct about the outdated rules. But that gets to what I was talking about in my earlier post. They know the equipment can be purchased anywhere anyway, if you let State and DOJ, sometimes DoD, know what you're selling and to whom, they won't stop something like a computer sale, even to people we really, really don't like/consider evil/commies.

I know for a fact that desktops and laptops from US companies were still being legally exported to the Iraqi government at the same time we were launching cruise missiles at them and our tanks were blowing big holes into the country. They were for healthcare use, but god only knows where they actually ended up, it was/is a war zone. But hey, we're not going to let a little thing like branding someone a supervillain stop the wheels of commerce, just check the humanitarian materials box.

All in all, it's just for show. As you say the equipment can be procured anywhere. I do think the system would be effective in stopping the sale of say a massive IBM mainframe or an HPC setup though, the stuff that matters strategically. But the little stuff, all you have to do is ask permission first.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

"Blood-bath nation allegedly got its hands on American kit..."

Hardly surprising: the USA is the biggest market for said kit.

But where does Syria come into it??

13. JaitcH
    FAIL

US Trade Laws Just More Huff and Puff

I worked for a company a couple of decades ago, in the USA, and their equipment used high voltage triggers that were originally designed for use in nuclear weapons.

Turns out there was more profit in exporting these triggers than in selling their equipment.

I was in the pre-production area where we made prototypes. We really only needed one of these high voltage triggers per unit but I had the task of building units that had FOUR triggers in each. The boss paid me sizeable bonuses for my work and he asked that I not tell others.

Later, after the company hit hard times, it transpired that the boss made more money selling these high-voltage devices than he did the basic unit. I must have packed about 300-400 extra high-voltage triggers - which were mainly glass with the cutest shade of blue writing on them.

The man, who is now deceased, made a real fortune from exporting these things illegally. A true American patriot. And each sale was blessed by the US State Department!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like