back to article Concerning Microsoft's Azure pitch to cloud service providers

Microsoft is advancing non-Microsoft service providers as a core part of its Cloud OS strategy. In part one of this series I looked at what Cloud OS was and why you might care about using it on your own premises. This article will examine how those service providers fit into the equation. To be clear, "service providers" in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bladeforce

Wouldnt..

Touch Azure with a bargepole. Azure is clumsy, unreliable and just crap

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wouldnt..

"Touch Azure with a bargepole. Azure is clumsy, unreliable and just crap"

Welcome to Planet Earth. Here, our version of Azure is one of the best cloud solutions that there is - especially for any corporate entity that uses Active Directory. Which is the vast majority of them. It has the best and most integrated toolset for standard operations - for instance transparently extending a company IP range into the cloud and automatically migrating VMs to and from corporate environments. It is also based on Hyper-V Server so has a couple of orders of magnitude fewer security vulnerabilities / patches to worry about than Linux or VMWare based cloud platforms...Azure is also historically more reliable than it's main competitor Amazon.

I could go on, but you are clearly a troll that doesn't actually have a clue about the positioning of the different cloud platforms...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As one anonymous poster to another, would you like to put your name to that?

1. Getriebe

If you want a name - for some unfathomable reason - have my moniker.

We use Azure for hundreds of hosted customers running line of business apps - ERP type - and I will agree with 80% of the above.

1. keithpeter Silver badge

"We use Azure for hundreds of hosted customers running line of business apps - ERP type - and I will agree with 80% of the above."

@Getriebe

What is the 20% you would not agree with? Just interested.

Not sure why you are being downvoted as you give stats based on actual machines.

1. Getriebe

@keithpeter

Sorry for delay in response - been in meat world

20%, mainly because just arbitrarily saying 100% is probably inaccurate

But I guess when I wrote that it was "Azure is also historically more reliable than it's main competitor Amazon." - because we did some stuff on AWS, but abandoned it and do not have enough statistics to confirm or deny what was stated.

2. PJ 3

Good Article

There are a couple realities here -

1. All public clouds have issues. I have used RS, HP, IBM, AWS and Azure and have researched as many as I could find - cloudcomputeinfo dot com. They all have their positives and negatives and which one you use for your solution is a really big "it depends".

2. Using a public cloud is outsourcing and the outsourcer provides a set of features at a price and you build a solution to meet your needs on their platform offering. Now, from a proprietary software licensing perspective what you do with a public cloud and what you do on-prem has not changed. In many ways, the proprietary operating system you license on your desktop or server could technically be considered "outsourced". You don't own it, you are paying for the right to use it and it is ultimately supported by someone else. If you want, you can use it as is or build applications on it to meet your needs. Exactly like the public cloud. So, what Microsoft is doing is expanding the scope of their software offering. It is still theirs, you don't own it but you can use it on their hardware, or your hardware - just as long as you pay.

3. Mikel

Come oh cloudy ones

Use our software to compete with us while we let you. We will fatten you for the feast.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It was ever thus for Microsoft Partners

One thing you have to be as a Microsoft Partner is very nimble on your feet. At least they don't pretend to be anything else.

4. Sirius Lee

Shouldn't be allowed

This is not a feature in my opinion, it's a unjustified sales piece. Surely a feature would be about a topic and present reasonable comparatives. Of course then the article would not be worth it because Azure does not stack up.

Amazon (the retail business) has first mover advantage in this space. But beyond that, it's advantage is that it's a business built on the need to have lots of highly resilient, customer facing systems. If it does not, it doesn't have a business. Microsoft does not face that issue.

Whether you like cloud computing or not, whether you like Amazon or not, at it's core the needs of AWS business is similar to the needs of its main business. AWS has the advantage of being able to take an idea and and both research the idea and, later, test it in house where it will run the gauntlet of people who live and breath the problem not for AWS but for Amazon the retailer.

Microsoft is not like this and any ideas it has cannot be tested in-house. So it plays a constant game of catch-up but not very well.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Shouldn't be allowed

Microsoft's entire business is run on Azure. In addition, Windows Server technologies both come out of Azure and feed back in for future development. Windows Server and Azure are completely interlinked in their development to the point that one can no longer be separated from the other.

Short version: you're full of shit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like