back to article Asus Transformer Book T100: Xbox One? PS4? Nah, get a cute convertible for Christmas

The Asus Transformer Book T100 looks like it’s going to be surefire hit, but not because it runs a quad-core Intel "Bay Trail" Atom processor. And not because it’s a convertible taking on tablet form or becoming and touchscreen notebook in a snap. And not because it runs Windows 8.1 and not one of the original wishy-washy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Richard Taylor 2

$299 vs £350

Shurely taking the piss even with VAT on the £?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: $299 vs £350

With a bit of jiggery pokery, I work that out about 459 US Dollars without VAT.

2. ThomH

I found it unclear where the $299 claim comes from; the device is $408.60 on Amazon US (before sales tax) and £339.99 on Amazon UK (with VAT). Take the VAT off the UK price and you get £283.325 (sic). Convert that to dollars and you get $463.83.

So the pre-tax difference is that UK residents pay an extra $55.23 — about £34. Which is almost exactly 10% of the price, but nothing like as bad as $299 versus £350.

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

What is that in Big Macs?

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I have seen it for 349 Euro here in the Netherlands also too much compared with US prices, but not as ridiculous as the UK. Rip-off Britain at work?

3. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Interesting...

Since my youngest decided to throw a glass of juice over my ageing laptop I've been looking for something cheap, small, HDDiskless, with a long battery life. The only thing putting me off this at the moment would be the fact that I'd be paying extra for Office (which I already have a license for) and the pointless tablet "feature".

Tempting, though.

1. Mark .

Re: Interesting...

MS have given Office away free for 10" devices, so there's no reason to think this is any additional cost for ASUS, so probably doesn't affect the price.

I'm tempted to get one of these as a replacement for my aging netbook (though waiting for 64GB - why ASUS isn't this released yet in the UK?) - the tablet feature is a nice bonus, even if I purely use it as a netbook it's a nice upgrade. I love netbooks for being small, long battery life, and having a keyboard; this would give a better resolution, and a significant CPU/GPU upgrade.

It is a shame that it isn't possible to buy a pure netbook at a lower cost. This would also have advantages - one of the problems of tablet convertibles is that all the tech has to go in the tablet portion, making it top-heavy unless the keyboard is also weighted, but then that makes the overall device heavier. ASUS have done a fantastic job of making a full x86 tablet PC that's around 550g in weight, so even the total device with keyboard is just over 1kg (most tablet convertibles are around 1.4kg or more; 1kg though is slightly lighter than most netbooks were). But, imagine if they just did a straightforward netbook, which didn't have to carry dead weight in the keyboard, meaning potentially a netbook less than 1kg?

But given last years news of netbooks apparently being dead, I'll gladly take this.

4. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

MicroUSB Charging

Anyone know what is the minimum voltage you could get away with on the micro USB charger? I'm wondering if you could run it from the 12v socket in the car.

1. Colin Miller

Re: MicroUSB Charging

USB is 5V. There are cigarette lighter socket -> 5V 2A adaptors around.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had a T3000 for a couple of weeks. That was as long as the charger lasted. I love the concept of the product and it's good to see they've finally released an x86 version. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get Linux running on one of these things

1. Eddy Ito

"as a complete recharge can take about 8 hours... but it clocked up 6hrs 18mins on PCMark 8's arduous battery test,"

So that means the charger can't keep up with the discharge rate when you're really flogging it and assuming everything is perfect and accurate it will run out of juice from a fully charged state in about 30 hours when plugged in. Seems reasonable since it can sleep and recharge when I would but I'd prefer a proper charger regardless.

5. Thomas 4

Sounded really promising

Until I read it had a Bay Trail processor. I've been burned before on a Transformer with a Bay at the helm.

1. Jack Faust meets Mephistopheles

Re: Sounded really promising

Unlikely, the T100 is one of the first with Bay Trail and certainly the first Transformer, I suspect you might be thinking of Clover Trail. Bay Trail is quad core as opposed to Clover's dual and significantly better in almost every way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unlikely, the T100 is one of the first with Bay Trail and certainly the first Transformer, I suspect you might be thinking of Clover Trail. Bay Trail is quad core as opposed to Clover's dual and significantly better in almost every way.

I think you've been wooshed. I'm assuming it was a popular culture reference to a movie series...

Ah a Michael Bay Trail. Too much liquid refreshment at lunch today, good one!

2. ThomH

The 2GB RAM was the turn-off for me. If I'm basically going to be unable to use the desktop then I might as well buy an ordinary tablet — it'll pretty much certainly get me a much higher pixel density for the browsing, media consumption, etc, that you're pretty much limited to anyway.

And don't tell Microsoft, but other office suites are available. Including ports of OpenOffice for Android — install AndrOpen Office and you'll actually feel like you're using a Windows desktop application.

1. sam bo

Did I miss something - why would you need an Android port of OpenOffice when this runs full win8 x86 and can use x86 OpenOffice if required ?

2. Frank Bough

How awful!

3. P0l0nium

No you haven't because THIS is the first ASUS Bay Trail offering.

You are confusing this with something else.

6. Ol'Peculier

If I could get it at the USD price, I'd be tempted. Might just wait until the next time a friend from the States happens to be flying into the UK.

I know it's a big pain, the same is true of Dell's line up too, I'm buying from the UK only for the reason that Dell (not sure on Asus) do not do a global warrantly and sending it back to the States for replacment/ repair is just not on my agenda.

Expect discounts after Xmas though on all of 'em.

2. Z80

I think I'd value a double-height Enter key over any savings available by purchasing from the US.

7. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Thumb Up

That is a nice...

bit of kit indeed, and a very sensible price. Its the fist bit of non-Apple kit i have been impressed with for a long time. Could do with more RAM, but maybe that is upgradable.

Re: That is a nice...

The first of these Bay Trail tabs are all limited to 2Gb and are not upgradeable. Intel introduced a new power state with Clover Trail called connected standby, this allows processes to run when the screen is off in a low power mode (such as streaming radio). In the 64bit version of Win 8.1 there is currently no support for it so it was decided to keep the ram at 2 gb until it is ready. It;'s expected Q1-2 2014 so the first 64bit 4gb tabs should start coming out around then.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: That is a nice...

Ok, now I'm confused. What does that mean for the Win 8.1 flavor that ships on the laptab? Do they ship with 64 bit Windows or 32 bit? Presumably the 4gb ram version won't be upgradeable either since it sounds like it's soldered on the board.

On a side note it looks like someone has already done a teardown of one.

2. Arctic fox
        Thumb Up

@Jack Faust meets Mephistopheles Re 2 gb contra 4 GB.

"It;'s expected Q1-2 2014 so the first 64bit 4gb tabs should start coming out around then."

A very useful heads-up. I shall wait a few months more before dusting off my wallet.

8. JDX Gold badge

Obligatory

Amazed the first comment wasn't the always-funny "if only they sold it with a proper OS".

1. Adrian 4

Re: Obligatory

Would have been nice if you'd said whether it actually will run a proper OS though. Plenty of us couldn't care less what it does with Office.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Obligatory

It seems some have started to answer this question.

9. James 51

Funny you should post this review today:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/5089844.htm?tag=ar:Static:BlackFriday

10. Phredd

Are you sure there's not a secondary battery in the dock? The ASUS TF101, which seems to use a similar hardware arrangement, does have a secondary battery.

1. James 51

Every review I have read have all commented on the lack of a bettery in the keyboard. Hope there's a third party options for that.

11. DrXym

Almost there

I think if this had 64GB it would be a killer device. It's relatively cheap, powerful enough for its form factor, and it runs Windows.

1. James 51

Re: Almost there

There is a 64gb version for $50 more but it also has a micro sd slot.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The thing that worries me

Is the free student. What is this, a way to find homes for unwanted grunting teenagers?

... with a copy of Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student thrown in.

No thanks.

Oh, and Windows Hate-point-one, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The thing that worries me

Is this Student one of the intern variety?

Otherwise known as legalised slaves?

I've never understood the whole unpaid internship thing.. If you are good enough to do the work, why won't they pay you?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: The thing that worries me

You are not good enough to do the work, that's why you are an intern.

13. Andrew Stevenson

I've had one for about a week now and I'm impressed with the price to value ratio.

When I read that it had 10+ hours of browsing, I assumed that you would have to stay in the TIFKAM (Surface UI) browser, but I found that I got easily10 hours of general use; including a couple hours of playing Hearthstone.

I think a second usb port on the tablet would have been nice so that I could hook up a mouse without hooking up the keyboard. If I already had bluetooth mouse around, I might not feel the same ;)

If you like to tinker, you could probably hide some more memory in the keyboard by wiring it up to the usb port.

It supports 5 touch points, so I've been looking at gesture utilities that enable more than Windows does.

14. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Click noise

"And yet my biggest grumble has to be the trackpad for no other reason than presses for left- and right-click make such a noise I felt quite self-conscious about using it in the office."

My old Asus 1000 with the SSD was the same. Crack of doom every time I used the silver chrome mouse button round the trackpad. Must be an Asus 'feature'. I, too, resorted to use of a mouse within Russell group University libraries for fear of ostracism. Now, I lug a recycled Thinkpad.

No USB on the tablet bit is a shame (thinking of proper external keyboards)

Otherwise: something reasonable that weighs less than 600g and may run Linux. Nice.

15. G R Goslin

Surely, you're joking Mr Asus?

32Gb of storage space! You can't be serious!. By the time you's put on a proper (Linux) OS, you'll have a machine with operating systems and no storage for much more than a couple of .avi files. With that you don't really need all that battery capacity. I've an Asus 1225, which replaces my lovely 1008HA, sadly running out of battery capacity, which has 100Gb allocated to Win7 and 167Gb allocated to Linux (Mageia). Manners might maketh man, but storage space makes a useable PC. And the 1225 only cost me £219. 32Gb, don't make me laugh.

1. At Random

Re: Surely, you're joking Mr Asus?

On my OpenSUSE 13.1 workhorse that has everything and more installed:

eurgain@fuchsia:~> df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdb1 20G 12G 7.4G 61% /

On the machine I am typing this, with Mint 16 loaded with lots of C and Python development tools, full LibreOffice, Gimp, VueScan, DropBox, Emacs ...: plus lots of other stuff I don't really need:

eurgain@irma ~ $ df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda5 13G 9.5G 2.6G 79% /

So, 32G sounds like plenty to me, so long as your data is somewhere else. A sensible person could install Mint and easily have 24G free, no problem, with a fully functional machine.

Also on this machine:

/dev/sda2 88G 60G 28G 69% /mnt/windows

This is a far less usable install of Win7 for emergencies. It is kept up-to-date, has a few applications (including MS Word 2010) and a few others installed, but it is really rather minimal. Goodness only knows what occupies these 60G!

So, IMO, 32G is a fine size for a very workable full-featured Linux installation! Just keep the files you need locally, and the rest remotely.

If someone can post about their successful installation of a mainstream Linux distro, then this machine will probably be on my immediate shopping list!

2. mark-rb

Re: Surely, you're joking Mr Asus?

For a start your "proper" OS - Linux - doesn't have touch optimisation in either the office suites or browser (the most commonly used applications). Many seem to enjoy complaining about the Windows 8 user interface but the Start Screen, IE and Office 2013 are far better on a device with a touch screen than Gnome 3, Firefox and LibreOffice.

Secondly, consumption devices, like this tablet, tend toward cloud usage models. Like it or not cloud storage and streaming is where the industry is going. Just because it doesn't fit your usage pattern doesn't mean that current users of Android and iOS tablets won't find this a step-up. I'm buying one to replace an iPad.

16. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Users want Android

Nice bit of kit, but they should have loaded it with Android, or at least a proper Linux.

Vista 8 is unusable.

17. Bucky O' Hare

So the laptops good, but Office installation is a big fail

Guess we'll just have to use Google Apps instead then like everybody else?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like a modernised netbook

Just wish they offered a version with Linux.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Re: Looks like a modernised netbook

Sometimes its better to install your own favorite distro. I have an EeePC with an OEM Linux system. It works quite well, but I continually run into a few places where Asus saw fit to install some crippled version of a 'standard' utility.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, I would install my own Linux but I don't particularly like subsiding Microsoft with my hard-earned cash seeing I have little interest in their products. Could presumably be a good bit cheaper without Win8+Office.

2. Goat Jam

"Sometimes its better to install your own favorite distro"

As pointed out already, this is all well and good, but maybe I don't want to send my money to Microsoft by purchasing a product I have no intention of using?

It only encourages them you know.

Then there is the worry that they have used some stupidly obscure hardware components that are unsupported by Linux (now). Anybody who has bought a Sony Vaio will know what I'm talking about here. I've seen Vaio's that you can't even upgrade the version of Windows on because of the stupid proprietary crap that Sony uses that they refuse to provide drivers for any version of Windows other than the one it originally shipped with.

Getting something preloaded with some sort of Linux at least gives you an indication that the installation of a distro of your choice has a good chance of succeeding.

2. Mikel

Linux is not going to pay them a significant subsidy per device. You don't think Asus keeps putting this unsellable junk out because they enjoy us laughing at them, do you?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not for me :(

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what one should buy when it comes time to replace one's portable computing device?

Requirements are:

→ Must have a full QWERTY keyboard + pointing device.

→ Must have sufficient storage capacity, meaning >200 Gb.

→ Must have both wireless and Ethernet connectivity.

→ Must have enough grunt to do actual work with (e.g., run Eclipse, gcc, Postgres). Does not need to be amazing performance, that's what the stuff in the racks are for, but it has to be runnable.

→ Must be small. The smaller the better, as long as the keyboard is there and usable. Screen size is not a problem.

→ Needless to say, Linux is going into it.

→ Willing to pay premium prices for premium hardware (but not for brand or any bundled software).

→ Card reader and multiple USB ports are highly desired.

Asus netbooks used to be (still are, I'm writing this on one) ideal machines, but the IT press seem to have decided that netbooks are so 2012 and need to die a death. I do note that Asus still make what appears to be a great machine (Asus 1015E). Any feedback on that one or recommendations on what else is out there would be much appreciated.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like