back to article Google faces fresh privacy gripes for splashing your G+ mug over ads

Google is facing yet another privacy protest in Europe, after Mountain View recently tweaked its terms of service to allow it to plaster its users' profile names and photos over ads. Privacy campaigner Simon Davies has submitted a complaint to 14 data protection authorities in the EU. He is calling on officials in Norway, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm assuming that I have a g+ account, since I had to create a google account in order to use Google Play.

That all the info in the account are bullocks and that I haven't - as far as I know - made a profile picture should make it difficult to use it in an ad - and given that the name probably isn't going to sell anything on its own (as it's not the most charming user name, and I can't quite recall which name I gave as my own).

I am not going to log onto G+ in order to check though, as that'd be actively using a service I really think we'd be better off without.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Null or contra-ad profile pic

I think on some network Google+, ? it insisted I needed a page profile pic before I could use some aspect of the "service". So I drew the appropriate size of coloured rectangle and uploaded that.

One could apply the same principle with a simple box saying - "don't buy this" or "Google made me do this"

2. Malcolm 1

I think you still need to explicitly create a G+ account - having regular a google account does not create one automatically. I don't know if this is true for google accounts that were created since the advent of G+ however.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Creates one for Youtube

They created a G+ account for my gmail account which I've had long before G+.

I believe they'll create a G+ account if you buy an Android phone and create a Google Play account. They have done this for my friends.

They created one for my youtube account, then started insisting I not use my youtube account and start using my gmail account name on youtube.

So finally I quit and insisted it delete the extra G+ account. It was not easy.

Now I see why the G+ user numbers are so inflated.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

all the info in the account are bullocks

Google+ is very popular with cattle.

4. Mark #255
      Alert

Not yet mandatory

I'm assuming that I have a g+ account, since I had to create a google account in order to use Google Play.

It depends on when you joined and how vigilant you were. I got my Google (non-plus) account over 2 years ago, and don't have a G+ account linked to it.

However, my mum got an Android phone last month, and when she created her account, she automagically got a G+ account along with it (which she immediately deleted).

As and when you connect your account to a new phone or tablet, you will be cajoled (Mrs Doyle-like) into "upgrading" to a G+ account.

2. Jim 59

Alien vs Predator

Dear Massive Ad-peddling web-beast, meet super-giganto beaurocrosaurus.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook

So has he filed similar complaints about Facebook doing the same? The same question should be asked of the Senator who complained about Google.

I'm not saying that Google should be doing this but there seems to be this concerted push back against Google on many fronts where other companies are doing exactly the same but no-one is kicking up the same level of fuss.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook

There has indeed been much FB-bashing on these issues.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

How do they know whose photo it is?

If all G+ non-users just upload Eric Schmidt's photo to their idle account, will they notice?

1. Mike Flugennock
      Pint

Re: How do they know whose photo it is?

That sounds like a fiendishly clever idea.

But why stop there? Why not upload a foto of Steve Ballmer, or Marissa Myer, or Steve Jobs, or Carly Fiorina, or Mark Zuckerberg?

Or, even better... what if every G+ non-user uploaded a frame of that "Leave Britney Alone" guy? Mwoooaaahhh ha ha ha ha ha haaahhhh...

1. dan1980

Re: How do they know whose photo it is?

. . . what if everyone just deleted their G+ accounts?

5. Dexter

My G+ profile photo is a very nice shot of one of my cats.

He's much better looking than me anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like