back to article Samsung says knickers to poor Gear sales claim, eyes pants to sell more

Samsung has scoffed at claims that it has sold hardly any of its shiny, pricey Galaxy Gear smartwatches. And it has clutched Miley Cyrus’ knickers to its corporate bosom to help it shift even more. The company’s UK wing yesterday tweeted: “Hey, Miley. You should have a look at our Gear,” and attached a picture of skimpy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cuddles

Is that a pocket in your pocket?

So this is a device which only works if it can connect to another device in your pocket. And they're advertising it by saying you don't need pockets. Maybe someone should let the advertising team know what it is they're supposed to be advertising?

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: Is that a pocket in your pocket?

The partner device does not need to be in your pocket - I leave my phone on the kitchen table and my Pebble stays connected everywhere in my house / garden. (Owners of enormous solid stone mansions with substantial grounds may find performance does not match this).

2. Jez-UK
      Coat

You just need to think it through (Samsung style). A Galaxy Note 3 is required. The Galaxy Note 3 is too big to fit in a pocket. So what's Miley to do? Simple, she slips her Galaxy Note 3 into her Louis Vuitton bag. Simple!

Clearly you're not thinking like a Samsung Diva (go have a couple of glasses of Cristal, that should help).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am a nudist, I put watch on and went to the beach, it no longer works, will remember to take phone with me in future.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where does she hide the phone it pairs with?

What more need I say?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where does she hide the phone it pairs with?

Well... if its set to vibrate ....

1. Jim in Hayward

So wrong it's funny. Upvoted.

2. Tannin
      Facepalm

... and does it have rounded corners?

3. Joerg

More Samsung bull.. Galaxy Gear it's a flop!

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-falls-flat-logs-sales-of-just-50000-units/1196778

"Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch falls flat, logs sales of just 50,000 units

Muhammad Zulqarnain Zulfi | New Delhi | Updated: Nov 19 2013, 12:09 IST"

http://news.yahoo.com/galaxy-gear-reportedly-epic-flop-sold-under-50-220557084.html

"The Galaxy Gear is reportedly an epic flop, has sold under 50,000 units

BGR.com By Brad Reed 13 hours ago"

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: More Samsung bull.. Galaxy Gear it's a flop!

Please! This is not a fruitfan fest.

2. LosD

Re: More Samsung bull.. Galaxy Gear it's a flop!

In case you ever feel like reading what was in the article: That is exactly the claim Samsung is denying.

4. NoOnions
    FAIL

"As it stands, the Gear only connects to the Galaxy Note 3 phondleslab..."

Not so, as I understand it. My Galaxy S4 now has Android 4.3 so my phone is also compatible with it, along with a few other Samsung devices that got 4.3 in Blighty - I'm aware that the 4.3 update has be pulled in the UK for the S3 and across the pond for some carriers.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/23/galaxy-gear-compatibility-gs4-gs3-note2/

Not that I'm buying the watch at that price (if ever!).

5. dogged

>“It’s the most sold wearable watch available in the market place,”

I suspect Swatch might disagree. Most watches are wearable.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

The are talking about the OTHER market place.

1. dogged

The one that there aren't any other watches in?

6. We're all in it together

How can you lot be so negative?

I have one on each arm. Both told me my phone was out of range so I walked closer. Then they told me my phone was flat. Then they mentioned the washing machine had finished.

Can anyone tell me the time and date please I have an appointment with my therapist?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How can you lot be so negative?

Your phone was flat? Try one of these:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/09/samsung_worlds_first_curved_smartphone/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Except that you need a phone near by to use it doh.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have never seen anyone with one of these and all the people I know with compatible Android devices have no intention of buying this v1 product. Methinks they were more bothered about getting something / anything to market first (for a charge) and copied what they thought Apple were doing - but didn't.

I foresee some heavy discounting to shift the hundreds of thousands 'shipped' to increase on the 50,000 (reportedly) 'sold' - probably be given away FOC with the handsets next.

1. Darryl

Well, obviously, if your friends don't want one, then it just stands to reason that the rest of the planet follow suit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not just my friends - I have never seen one out and about either.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatively the subliminal message is: look everyone ... our smartwatch is pants!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Say what you like about Miley

At least she hasn't unleashed a song quite as bad as her dad's big hit, "Achy Breaky Heart".

Actually, nobody has.

11. John Sanders
    Trollface

I say...

Meh!

12. jonathanb Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Picture required

I was expecting to see a photo to illustrate how such a chanteuse might use this watch while wearing only a single item of clothing.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

The real news here is....

That Miley has a pretty decent chance of getting an quasi -amateur aeronautics experiment named after her.

Maybe SPB wants to do some research on cosmic radiation?

Magnificent

Intra-atmosphere

Launch

Exploring

raYs?

14. SpaMster

In conclusion, they need to make pants with an in built phone, that can connect to the watch. Problem solved!

15. Maharg

wearable watch?

"It’s the most sold wearable watch available in the market place"

Who’s buying all these watches you cant wear?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Pocket watch?

I suppose a tablet (or smartphone) is a kind of pocket watch, so this is a wearable watch that connects to a pocket watch in order to work.

How steampunk!

But yes, there's something screwy. Pretty sure the cheap Casios are "wearable" and they must have sold millions.

16. Chris G

Enough is enough!

I currently find myself with a dual sim smartphone (Has very near as much computing power as my old notebook) , a tablet, a notebook and a dual screen desktop; I think a smart watch would be overdoing it somehow!

I would consider watching Miley Cyrus in just her skivvys on one though.

17. Charles Manning

Maybe MS-Surface needs a wrist-strap

A surface on your wrist only makes marginally less sense.

18. Mark .

"Its best known competitor is Pebble, which has been shifting smartwatches since a high-profile crowd-funding campaign kicked off in 2012. As of 6 November 2013, some 190,000 Pebble smartwatches have been shipped to buyers, the company claims."

So 25,000 a month of Samsung (even if it was true), for a device with a market of 5 million, is a total flop, but 19,000 a month, for a device with a market of over a billion, isn't?

Of course you'd expect Samsung, a much larger company, to do better, but I don't think that factors into the judgement of popularity.

19. earl grey
    Angel

Pocket watch

No, you don't wear it; and hopefully you don't keep it in nature's pocket.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck

The girl needs to get a life. She's a dumbarse.

21. Goit
    Mushroom

What we need is a Predatoresque forearm mounted curved fondleslab.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/08/ipad_air_explodes_into_fireball_as_terrified_fanbois_flee/

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120608225625/avp/images/thumb/e/e2/31-avp-selfdestruct.PNG/500px-31-avp-selfdestruct.PNG

All we need is the mandatory 'hur hur hur hur hur hur hur' sound file.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I heart Miley.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like