back to article Oooh! My NAUGHTY SKIRT keeps riding up! Hello, INTERNET EXPLORER

Microsoft has come up with a new way to market Internet Explorer to Asian customers, and it's a major departure from the kinds of ad campaigns we're used to seeing from Redmond here in the West. Inori Aizawa, the 'personification of IE' Here she is, Miss Internet Explorer Meet Inori Aizawa, Microsoft's latest spokeswoman. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inori is close, but not quite...

As a furry, I'll stick with female anthropomorphic firefoxes as my browser mascots, thank you!

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Inori is close, but not quite...

And why would one need mascots? Especially for a browser?

It is a harsh thing to say, but both FF and IE are trying to do everything except web browsing. FF used to be good...alas, those days are gone. Playing around with cute mascots instead of quality programming.

1. JDX Gold badge

Are you Japanese? Do you know how marketing and advertising work in Japanese culture?

1. Stevie

Singapore isn't in Japan. It's in Burma.

1. Fibbles

Singapore is a sovereign state, it's about 700 miles away from Burma.

Also, why are we spouting random geographical facts?

2. BRUMICON

Umm. The new IE 11 is faster, more stable, and more secure than both Chrome and FF. Sounds like quality programming to me. But don't take my word for it. Plenty of 3rd parties have verified it. Or, you could download it and see for yourself. Don't get me wrong, I am a Chrome fan. But IE 11 has (as the video so obviously pointed out) become a serious contender. It will be interesting to see how Chrome and FF respond.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Ah. You saw me lambasting Firefox, and helpfully offered IE?

Too bad, IE 11 is still not a browser, it's trying to be a bloody platform (or a lifestyle, judging by the current article). It also comes with unacceptable prerequisites, hooks, lines and sinkers. Well, maybe acceptable to someone, but certainly not to this old geezer, who cannot even accept some later trends in FF development. Should really check what the IceWeasel / IceCat guys are up to.

As for security & quality, this just in

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/11/ie_0day_menace/

Remains to be seen if IE 11 has better magic beans in it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well look at that, another furry on here. And yes, anthro foxes for me too, ta. Did you see the group of them at (I think it was) Anthrocon the other year? Rawr.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised I've never seen a suit of the Firefox fox at any furcon. Yes, there's anthro foxes at every Anthrocon (and every other furcon for that matter), no getting away from them especially for us wolves :3

1. Dive Fox
          Pint

I remember when it was next to impossible to find furries on the Internet. Beer, because FWA means Furries with Alcohol to me.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised I've never seen a suit of the Firefox fox at any furcon. Yes, there's anthro foxes at every Anthrocon (and every other furcon for that matter), no getting away from them especially for us wolves :3

My roommate has a photo of it. I'll try and find them. Pretty sure if was FF, given the globe. There's also this lady, of course:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/124/b/5/firefox_cosplay_hd_by_enjinight-d4yj6hm.jpg

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Firefox replies with:

http://i.gzn.jp/img/2006/12/16/firefox_logo_cat/fireboob_m.jpg

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

http://d.facdn.net/art/arabesque/1383285657.arabesque_ashnet.jpg

That's the hottest I can post in here. There are hotter, but... well, no.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IE is faster and has fewer security vulnerabilities than Chrome or Firefox these days though...

1. BRUMICON

This is what I keep telling people! IE has snuck up and become the fastest, most stable, and most secure browser. Chrome and FF are sitting on a glass floor. If they don't start to take IE seriously, they may find thier floor soon crashing; leaving them with the hurdle of recapturing lost users. FF i can kinda understand. But Chrome should know better. Let's just hope Chrome can catch up. :\

1. Greg J Preece

Hmmmm, joined just to comment on this article, two posts consisting only of how super-dooper-awesome IE 11 is.

*Waves* Hi Microsoft!

2. Vociferous

Wont work.

She's too old.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Wont work.

Pedobear detected!

1. Michael Habel

Actually hes the Safety Bear...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

Peadobear I can live with, but if they introduce anything with tentacles, I am leaving...

"Oh no! It's Appl, the evil octopus!!!"

1. Old Handle
            Trollface

Tentacles!

I seem to recall hearing the tentacle metaphor applied more than once to IE itself, IE4 specifically. So perhaps it's Apple who will suffer a spaghetti breakfast in a later episode.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

...because "In her wordless debut teaser video that was released to the web on Thursday, a cloaked Inori is seen running through a decrepit cityscape while being chased by malevolent robots. Just when we think they've gotten the better of her and..." <Windows Update engages, disrupting said video, to download a number of "pre-zap" and "zero-day-flaw" patches and to force a restart after installation - The viewer logs in and re-launches the video URL then, after wading through the pre-amble> "..., she transforms into her magical IE form and sets them straight with a few zaps." - Reality bites mystique.

3. Ketlan
    Unhappy

Oh, dear...

I despair, I really do...

1. andreas koch
      Paris Hilton

@ Ketlan - Re: Oh, dear...

You beat me to it.

Seconded.

2. Vociferous

Re: Oh, dear...

It's not the first time Microsoft's done this: http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/01/windows-8-anime-girls-japan/

And Microsoft is certainly not alone in the creepy manga department: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipe-tan_full_length.png

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> It's not the first time Microsoft's done this

OS Tans have been around forever.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan )

Hell yeah.

Google the linux tan images.

2. Neoc

Damn, AC@9:48 beat me to it.

2. Chika
        Angel

Actually, the history of the OS-tan is long. There are -tans for systems as old as MS-DOS 3, and the whole thing isn't tied only to Microsoft's output, although their first trip into this sort of thing was Nanami Madobe, the mascot of Windows 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

3. Tomato42

@vociferous: I don't get why exactly is it "creepy manga department"... Just because Asian markets don't equate drawn characters with kids content?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What, despair that you don't like MS or that you somehow feel superior to culture in other countries?

Look at Japan there is this sort of thing all over the place - Anime characters representing products up ten story buildings. When I went even the 500 series shinkansen had anime robots on them.

1. Stevie

"What, despair that you don't like MS or that you somehow feel superior to culture in other countries?

Look at Japan there is this sort of thing all over the place - Anime characters representing products up ten story buildings."

Okay. We can relax then, as long as you'll stay cool the next time footage of some Islamic men herding a flock of burkha wearing women into their part of the mosque hits the airwaves. After all, what we're talking about is someone else's culture, no? And that's off-limits, discussion-wise, no?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Are you seriously equating being snobby about western perceptions of childish anime characters in Japan with oppression of women in unspecified countries ending in -stan? Because if you are, you are mixing up culture in terms of art with culture in terms of "we've always done it like this and see no reason to change" and "our religion says this is how we do things" (it doesn't) as an excuse for oppression and control of others. They are very different things and to equiate the two lessens the seriousness of the oppression.

Get a fucking grip.

1. Not That Andrew

Yes but there is an element of "we've always done it like this and see no reason to change". Japanese culture is seriously misogynistic, and these sort of images only help perpetuate those attitudes.

Facepalm

> and these sort of images only help perpetuate those attitudes

Then don't look at them.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Japanese culture is seriously misogynistic"

I thought they just treated women as sex objects. Quite biologically rational really...We just hide it more here....

2. Stevie

"Are you seriously equating being snobby about western perceptions of childish anime characters in Japan with oppression of women in unspecified countries ending in -stan?"

Who says anyone is being "repressed" in the scene I described, or that I envisaged it happening anywhere in Asia?

I think you are the one with a loose grip.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"the next time footage of some Islamic men herding a flock of burkha wearing women into their part of the mosque hits the airwaves"

Oh that's what it was. I thought the Star Wars remake had a low budget and they were the Imperial Storm Troopers.....

2. Rukario
        Linux

> Anime characters representing products up ten story buildings. When I went even the 500 series shinkansen had anime robots on them.

The 500 series shinkansen had nothing on this train: http://youtu.be/GJdkD2GZRfU

4. cdilla

Calendar

The calendar in her room has a nice reference to the Anime Festival Asia meet in Singapore this weekend.

Makes a change from the usual advertising. I imagine it will have some success.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a note

As a huge anime fan. I can see teh line "Or spokes ... cartoon?" irking many anime fans (if any visit here) for some reason a lot of anime fans have a weird hatred of calling anime cartoons, even though they are just japanese cartoons technically.

Anyway IE-tan already existed. Microsoft have just taken a fan concept (used to describe the relationships of the browsers) and claimed it as their own, not the first time tbh.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: As a note

"a lot of anime fans have a weird hatred of calling anime cartoons"

I appreciate your point. I'll be the first to say, as a former print graphic designer, that every frame of a top-flight anime is a work of art. But hey, we're blunt about everything. El Reg is an equal opportunities sneerer ;-)

C.

1. Soruk
        WTF?

I like anime, but this? Creating an anime character just to be a marketing spokes-tan is getting just a bit beyond silly.

2. Steven Jones

"a lot of anime fans have a weird hatred of calling anime cartoons"

Indeed, no lesser an authority than Dr. Sheldon Cooper would agree,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0cPJ5884Y

2. Tom 13

Re: a lot of anime fans have a weird hatred of calling anime cartoons

I've always assumed that is mostly a 'Merkin thing.

"Cartoons" on this side of the pond has usually meant Hanna-Barbera type morning kiddie shows. They want "Anime" to reflect that the artwork is more detailed (generally) and that the story lines aren't necessarily for kids. In fact "child friendly" is the last label you'd want to put on a fair amount of it.

I see their point but like you think they overdue it a bit.

1. Steve Knox
        Headmaster

I see their point but like you think they overdue it a bit.

Yeah, they really should get past that.

2. h3

Even that has changed over time. Stuff like Popeye was watched by everybody. (Some of them are never reshown as they are racist). The propaganda episodes of it wouldn't have been much use if only children watched them. (e.g Spinach fer Britain).

6. jake Silver badge

Oh. My. Fucking. Gawd/ess.

Microsoft's marketing department has finally lost it completely.

Hopefully it's the beginning of the end of Redmond ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh. My. Fucking. Gawd/ess.

You're kidding, right? Microsoft is not trying to attract old curmudgeons like you, but the young… And this will work for them. Seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a series in preparation :-)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like