back to article YouTube co-founder either HATES Google+ or his vid account just got HACKED

One of the original creators of YouTube, Jawed Karim - whose face has been viewed millions of times on the video-sharing website - has apparently complained about having to sign in to Google+ to leave a comment below clips. Karim, who is best known for appearing in the first vid ever to be uploaded to YouTube back in 2005, has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

was wondering this myself..

I don't want a G+ account.. although I don't know if there has simply been a glitch in the upgrade process because I no longer see any comments on anything either (could be my adblocking is configured to block G+ and is therefore blocking them)

Either way Google appear to have created a new barrier to leaving comments, so I'm simply not going to bother leaving them any more comments.

1. Danvighar

After playing with my filters at home, the comments appear to require communication with G+. So I'm leaving it off unless I _want_ to see what others have commented on a vid.

2. Vociferous

Re: was wondering this myself..

Same here -- I see no comments. I'm not sure if I've been permabanned, or if comments are now only accessible via Google+.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: was wondering this myself..

They created a shield against ACs posting comments. That's surely a GOOD thing.

Posting as AC, as I love irony.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the fuck do I have to use this icon as an anonymous coward?

3. Gav

Quality unchanged

Youtube's comments are a heaving mass of ignorance and trolling. Insisting on G+ accounts may cut down the volume, but is very unlikely to do anything for the quality.

1. Vociferous

Re: Quality unchanged

Yahoo.co.uk is actually worse. I know, the mind boggles, but it is.

2. Rafael Moslin
      Pint

This comment is spot on, if the policy helps to reduce in any small way the vile diatribe of homophobic, racist, sexist and mostly downright disgusting comments that quite often appear currently on YouTube by making people identifiable, then that is all good in my book. Human nature it seems allows people to quite happily say one thing to a complete stranger when hidden by a cloak of anonymity that they would not dream of saying if they met that stranger in person.

1. mickey mouse the fith

"This comment is spot on, if the policy helps to reduce in any small way the vile diatribe of homophobic, racist, sexist and mostly downright disgusting comments that quite often appear currently on YouTube by making people identifiable, then that is all good in my book. Human nature it seems allows people to quite happily say one thing to a complete stranger when hidden by a cloak of anonymity that they would not dream of saying if they met that stranger in person."

How will requiring a g+ account change anything?, I have a number of them, all with totally false info, im no more identifiable than i was before they required g+ for youtube.

They have also disabled any commenting on posts made before the change, resulting in millions of debates suddenly being silenced.

This is all about inflating g+ subscriber numbers, not offensive comments.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck you Google

I want / need a google account, but I don't want google+

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fuck you Google

I'm afraid we can't allow you to do that, Anonymous Coward

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Head over to Bing Videos Jawed

While you count your money....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do I need ANYTHING to leave a simple comment?

Time was you could just send email to a contact at a company to express your opinion, good or bad. Or at least a text window was available to simply write in your comments.

Now I need a frigging Farcebook/Gplus/Twatter/other fuukking useless bullshit antisocial account to identify me so I can leave a comment in plain text on a webpage. The spineless bastards hide behind these "sign in accounts" to either spam and identify the sender or just make it too difficult to leave a comment .

Each and every one of these stupid login systems are strangling free speech on the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why do I need ANYTHING to leave a simple comment?

I miss being able to send email to webmaster@site.name, whether I got a reply, or not. If I have to click more than 3 times to tell you your website is broken, I'll just give up.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Because it requires you agree to a new Googley TOS.

Don't use Google if you hate them. Don't give them data if you don't like them prying into your life. There are easy alternatives.

8. Vociferous

It hasn't really got anything to do with the quality of comments.

What it HAS something to do with, is a) Google's white-hot burning desire to get people to use Google+, and b) advertisers desire to control the contents and tone of the comments.

Burn in hell, Google. You used to be cool, what happened to you?

9. roselan
    FAIL

fun fact: igoogle is still on par with google+ on google trends.

And now that.

Google is really becoming the new microsoft :(

10. John Deeb

another why

Why the fuck would anyone upload a video from a fucking zoo anywhere?

So little internet logic, so many questions...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why the fuck do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?

Because you sold the company so now how it works, is up to someone else... someone who apparently doesn't want to host a site filled with anonymously posted vile outpourings like Youtube used to accept.

I'd have thought that was fucking obvious myself.

1. Vociferous

> doesn't want to host a site filled with anonymously posted vile outpourings

That has absolutely fuck all to do with it. This is Google locking users to its walled garden: you use Gmail and G+ or you don't use Youtube.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you use Gmail and G+ or you don't use Youtube.

well, for the time being at least, you CAN use youtube without being logged to whatever-google-account. Which I do (seldom). The comments... shrug.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That has absolutely fuck all to do with it. This is Google locking users to its walled garden: you use Gmail and G+ or you don't use Youtube.

I doubt that, but if it is you can hardly blame them, after all if they don't lock users in with accounts, they get fucked over by whinging bastards and their competitors for monopolising the market they're in.

At least this way, they can point out that using the Youtube commenting facility is an active choice made by users, and that they're not stopping people just watching the content.

And yes before you all flame me I understand you don't like Google behaving like this, I however don't give a fuck, as far as I'm concerned, seeing a successful business screwed over as they are being, just because some people don't like them, means they can do whatever they want to their services, so that they can in future tell the whinging fuckwits to "Fuck Off". "It's a service the users have to register and log into to use" seems like a perfectly valid defense to me.

2. David 164

Google management, who decisions have triple the price of the stock they gave you when you sold youtube to them 7 years ago.

12. The Mighty Spang

totally agree

I had a G+ account attached to my google apps for domains account. Only used it to keep up with the statuses of the Dart team (as only about 3 people I know are on G+)

i started getting messages on youtube about do I want to use my real name? no I don't. a week later, same thing. ignored. then it seemed to get to the point that I couldn't do anything, even view videos without this same old shit happening. either use your real name or create a g+ channel for your login. feck off I don't want either. so I deleted my g+ account, telling them why.

just checked. although my youtube account works, when i clicked to add a comment it went back to "if you do this you will have to create a g+ channel with your name". i clicked no, message at top of screen goes "OK, we'll ask you again later".

totally fusking bizarrely I just uploaded a video and made it public and it didnt ask me about creating a google+ channel.

contrary to popular belief I do add useful comments at times :) though this whole g+ channel thing means i'm not posting comments on youtube anymore. screw it, really not worth it. but people will just click ok because they are idiots.

bit like the thing going round FB at the moment, the 'whats your brain age' test where you have to agree for them to be able to see all your contacts and all your posts etc. and people still click ok.

1. Vociferous

Re: totally agree

> it seemed to get to the point that I couldn't do anything, even view videos without this same old shit happening. either use your real name or create a g+ channel for your login.

Yep. I have a Google account I use at work, for the drive and calendar, and Youtube kept pestering me to link it with my youtube account. When I declined it asked why I didn't want to link them. This happened every 2-3 videos I viewed. Eventually, after asking me a dozen or so times, it just linked them, because fuck me.

I then made a huge mistake: I clicked "Make My Channel Private", in the mistaken belief that this would make my viewing history and favorite video lists private. No. "Make My Channel Private" is functionally identical to "Delete My Account". All my lists, all my comments, everything: irreversibly gone. A big, hearty, FU from Google, all because I didn't want my Youtube viewing history of kitten videos and death metal linked to my work calendar.

That's when I realized that Google's approach to customer service and privacy is "it puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again".

13. Zmodem

google+ is a cluster bomb of tedius worthless rubbish and gmail is the most basic and patheic and ugly email service around

14. chrisp1141

The only people who use google+ are programmers who think google is god. You know who I'm talking about - the cool hipsters with tight jeans, the feminine guys with thick-rimmed glasses. They are the most ignorant people on the planet. Intelligent people don't use google services at all. Instead, we use sites/products that protect our privacy such as Dolphin browser, HushMail, Ravetree, and DuckDuckGo.

1. Michael Habel

Dolphin Browser top lel come back when they finally update their Code to use Animated gifs... Then we can talk!

2. mickey mouse the fith

" Intelligent people don't use google services at all. Instead, we use sites/products that protect our privacy such as Dolphin browser, HushMail, Ravetree, and DuckDuckGo."

The Chinese company behind Dolphin Browser have been repeatedly called out for hiding data raping and snooping functions in their browser. Every time they were caught, they apologised, then just hid it better next time.

At one point, every url,every bit of form data, history and bookmarks were being pumped back to servers in China.

So yeah, Dolphin really, really dont protect your privacy at all and any `intelligent person` would know this lol. Good call on Duckduckgo though.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Intelligent people don't use google services at all. Instead, we use [....]

Modesty apart, eh?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny, the people I know using those services are the Hipsters you so derisively describe.

16. Zmodem

anyone with a brain would use the www.mail.com

17. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Google is the wost

At least I don't have to fight facebook not to use it, I just don't join. But google has tentacles, and it uses them...

18. h3

It worse with Android. Does all sorts of changes that cannot be reverted just by opening the app.

19. Anonymous Goat

Just how is an ordinary punter with a PC and an Android phone supposed to get out of the Google ecosystem? Don't even think about suggesting a Mac and iPhone. As this thread shows, the tentacles spread ever wider and it's unclear where they are.

step 1: is there any way of porting a gmail account elsewhere, with full history?

1. Michael Habel

I'd say install a Cyanogenmod that's compatible with your Phone, Tablet or Phablet. As Stock Cyanogen does not, and can not legally ship with GAPPS (i.e. Google Apps). Installing Cyanogenmod is pretty much Android without the Google.

Only problem I see now is that since Cyanogenmod plans to go Public, and turn it into a Commercial Product, in its own right. What's there stance on "Do no evil"?

20. Kurt 4
    Flame

Couldn't agree more. Also, Why the F*** do I need a google+ account to leave a review on an android app? That's just one of the reasons I dropped android and couldn't be happier.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like