back to article Quantum-classical crypto sends secret vote from Switzerland to Singapore

Quatum cryptography is already useful in protecting “good” parties against interference from an evil outside world, but until now, it hasn't protected a “good” Bob from an “evil” Alice, or vice-versa. According to the pre-press version of the paper at Arxiv, now published in Physical Review Letters, that can be overcome by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. oolor

>The researchers note that a provably secure bit commitment would be valuable in applications such as high-speed stock trading.

Why? High-speed trading is no longer the viable money generator it was a couple years ago. Equipment and software costs have rocketed and there is much less profit to be made to the point that many firms have left the business and others could not sell themselves and closed shop altogether.

Security is not much an issue at sub 300ms executions. The placement of your server in the NYSE data center might well be. Or is this what they are trying to eliminate?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: High-speed trading is no longer the viable money generator it was

This is not necessarily relevant - a not especially important financial process might easily generate enough revenue to cover the relatively small sums required for the engineering.

1. oolor

Re: High-speed trading is no longer the viable money generator it was

>This is not necessarily relevant - a not especially important financial process might easily generate enough revenue to cover the relatively small sums required for the engineering.

Allow me to rephrase that my good sir(/lady). Many of the leading firms have left the market as the profit dried up due to increased competition from competing firms and the large financial corporations. This is not due to someone pulling a Knight Capital at these companies, but rather market conditions. IIRC the number I heard was that profit in the entire industry last year was 20% of profits five years prior - the single year, not all five years.

Costs are not small, the increase in both hardware and software required to stay in the game is not trivial. The maths and coders who work in this field are paid multiples of the IT industry ranges. Pretty much most of the cost is the software, and the rest is hardware which also has to be turned over quicker than normal.

This means that the returns for risk are no longer sufficient for some to justify being part of the market. In the last year, a company with no financial issues left the market and was unable to find a buyer where 12 months before they had been offered in the neighbourhood of $US 300-400 million.

I posit that not only is it relevant, it is the only relevant thing.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"High-speed trading is no longer the viable money generator it was a couple years ago"

Rather like BitCoins then.

1. oolor
      Paris Hilton

Re: "High-speed trading is no longer the viable money generator it was a couple years ago"

Exactly, mining Bitcoins is an excellent analogy.

Wish I thought of it. :( ---->

3. Black Plague
    Facepalm

One detail wrong...

Eve, not Alice, is the evil one :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_alice

1. Swarthy

Re: One detail wrong...

There are two sides to that story:

Obligatory XKCD

..Possibly 3, but Bob seems to be afraid to speak up.

This topic is closed for new posts.