back to article New digital curriculum draft softens CompSci emphasis

A new work-in-progress draft of Australia's draft Digital Technologies curriculum contains many edits that respond to industry criticism of previous efforts as overly dependent on computational thinking and too vague for teachers to implement. The curriculum is Australia's first effort at embedding computing in schooling from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pat 11

similar story in uk

I was talking to an IT teacher the other day. They are not at all ready to teach programming. Scratch for year 9 is an aspiration. When I asked what other languages they planned to teach, she started asking if I'd like to come and talk to them. She didn't seem to have heard of Python even.

I suspect school IT has been a bit of a soft option all round, learning to use what are essentially consumer products.

2. Mother Hubbard

>> As such, it has been welcomed by industry groups as one of the ways Australia can ensure the IT&T industry has a well-educated pool of people to employ, even if those people won't hit the jobs market until 2030.

Just in time to in-source again ..

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Our public servants are crap at their own jobs let alone dreaming up futures and capabilities for the next generations. By 2030 Australia's corporate 'giants' will themselves be little more than outsourced shells, a brand and a 1800 number. Unless there is patent reform the well educated pool of young people will be cannon fodder for the lawyers or slave labour for the globalists. The Internet will very quickly destroy any value that gets past those two groups of vultures (no offense to this august publication). This leaves open source or crappy little app markets for those who have a passion for software and a day job as a mercenary, a clean source of live organs for a Northern Hemisphere market (assuming regrowth) or an aged care surrogate for those who survive the various depopulation efforts that the UN will dream up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like