back to article Rotten Apple iOS 7 fury: Glitchy audio or is today's music really that bad?

Fanbois and developers have hit out at Apple after the launch of iOS 7 was dogged by problems. Punters complained downloads of the latest version of the operating system stumbled to a halt as people hammered the update servers. Meanwhile, some software makers warned people to steer clear of the build until bugs caused by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Chris 3

Well, I suppose I should be the first fanboi to say...

I downloaded it in about 20 minutes at 6:30pm in the UK. Shoved it on an iPad 2, which seems to be coping fine so far. No audio problems that I can see in either Garageband or music playback.

Not an unalloyed delight; the visual design will take some getting used to, but generally a quite useful update.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, I suppose I should be the first fanboi to say...

Oh look a smug iPhone user. Don't see those so much these days ;-)

1. Rik Myslewski
        Thumb Up

In the interest of being "Fair and Balanced," this Reg hack — smug? hardly... — weighs in to say that his iOS 7 download (1.2GB, BTW) went smoothly, the update proceeded without a hitch, and all is well, with no audio problems whatsoever.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hey Rik, I thought you guys at El Reg would have been running on the Beta versions to keep a close eye on the proceedings ;-)

Like you though, I did update my device and all did / is working well.

2. Chris 3

I don't actually own an iPhone. I might buy one just to annoy you, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Big Brother

@Chris 3 - "I don't actually own an iPhone. I might buy one just to annoy you, though."

I wouldn't try to annoy someone by throwing away $700 on a closed device with a closed OS and a closed app ecosystem that quite certainly has NSA backdoors built-in at a very low level. Basically a personal tracking device for the world's second richest company and the spies of the world's richest nation to follow your every move and thought.

Other than the small above points, you've got a good plan there.

2. returnmyjedi

Lucky you. My iPad 2 is now a juddery mess.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Boll*cks

Updated an iPad 3, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, 2x iPods.

Initial connection to the server at 6.30pm took a few tries and after that experienced no problems. All devices updated by 10.00pm.

Now have devices with toy town icons, swipes that are back to front which can be confusing but all in all it went without any fuss. Not sure about new designs or brightness and type set of keyboard or minimalist design but will get used to them with practice. I really don't like the grey folders but over all better than before.also better than the Android updates I never got before I changed to the dark side.

1. johnnymotel

Re: Boll*cks

What I found very quickly, was that select a black and white background and the slightly ott colours start to look pretty nice. I'd say that after a few hours use, I see no reason to go back on os6

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The proof is in the....

Show me an Android update that could cope with so many updaters?

No?

Nuff said.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mr Fuzzy

Re: The proof is in the....

Er... I'm not sure that's entirely relevant. Estimating required capacity doesn't have a lot to do with the flavour of the downloads.

3. ElNumbre
        Stop

"Show me an Android update that could cope with so many updaters?"

I suspect Google have a better CDN than Apple, given their primary business is delivering content across a network. Having said that, its a relatively MOO point, given that Android updates are generally governed by the carriers and device manufacturers, which is the one thing that blows with that ecosystem.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

CDN = Crap Delivery Network? Yes, Google do, as well as the biggest CICN - Customer Infomation Collection Network (next to the spooks)

4. Eeep !
        WTF?

Android users are busy doing stuff, have lives that don't stop if they don't have the latest (not necessarily greatest) and understand that only a tediously sad few need an OS update instantly so let them get it first and pick it up themselves in all good time - it's a community thing that often seems missing in iOwners.

5. jonathanb Silver badge

How many people get Chrome updates without them even realising it is being updated? It's on version 29 now.

1. Frank Bough

Apple want your money. Google want to sell you to the highest bidder. I understand the former relationship, I'll never understand the latter.

1. HMB

Wow, what a thread. Someone let me know when the children have been put to bed and maybe the adults can chat about it without making funny faces at each other and saying they smell.

6. LaunchpadBS

Look at all your down votes, I think you might have struck a nerve with the Android fannys.

I love how this actually made the news, Apple's staggering of updates, when 200 million people try to hit up a server for a pretty big download all at the same time you'd be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't have issues with that...oh wait there aren't any with a user base like that (Windows doesn't count, never works anyway).

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Excitement

Oh how the Fandroids had been rubbing their hand with glee and hoping for disaster...

Imagine the disappointment they are feeling in seeing the update go so smoothly. Instead they try to focus on little problems here and there and pick fault, but this does not cheer them. The look longingly at their Android handset stuck in Gingerbread limbo knowing only too well they will have to spend money on a new phone to get the latest version of Android.

So they snipe and pick and gang up together to downvote those of us with smug expressions on out faces, and we didn't have to pay for it either.

1. Cliff

Re: Excitement

>>Oh how the Fandroids had been rubbing their hand with glee and hoping for disaster...<<

Just for reassurance, the vast bulk of us couldn't give a flying fuck.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Just for reassurance, the vast bulk of us couldn't give a flying fuck."

Indeed so little flight and so little copulation I just had to desperately hammer out a comment to tell everyone.

2. JarekG

"The look longingly at their Android handset stuck in Gingerbread limbo knowing only too well they will have to spend money on a new phone to get the latest version of Android."

Could you tell me where can I get that iOS 7 for my iPhone 3?

Oh wait...I need to get new hardware, don't I? I guess no Cool-Aid for me this time.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@JarekG

How old is your iphone 3?

Android phones less than six months old didn't get the updates.

2. pklausner
          FAIL

iPhone 3. From 2008. Do you think there is *any* Android vendor who bothers about a device older than, say, 3 years? Most devices *never* get a single update. Your only bet is Cyanogen. Which works ... on some phones.

I'm all for Apple bashing, but please, stick to the facts.

3. SuccessCase

Peak Hamill

Yes you can be absolutely certain Jasper has been trawling the inter webs for as much iOS7 disaster as he could find. Which given estimates are there have been 100million updates and Internet traffic yesterday evening was double it's normal amount, you would think he could have found a bit more than he managed. Very poor show.

6. jonathanb Silver badge

I kind of almost worry that I will cut my hands on the sharp corners. What's the point of having a patent on rounded corners if you don't use it?

2. El_Fev

Again with the server overload rubbish...

Jesus Christ 100 million people try downloading at the same time, what the hell do you expect! "Patience" its just not an English word people.

1. Fletchulence

Re: Again with the server overload rubbish...

I'm probably in the wrong forum.

But I do think Apple might take a look at how Android handles this. They tell you roughly when an update will be available then stagger the distribution over a few days. Rather than letting everyone try at once.

On a side note, I was midly horrified to hear a fellow employee this morning tell me the update had removed every one of his installed apps. The horror wasn't the fact they'd been deleted. It was that he seemed to think it was acceptable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep, some more Android features that Apple should copy.

How does it feel to be finally running Gingerbead on iPhone? Only another few more generation jumps to catch up to where Google is today.

2. ThomH

App deletion is not the norm — the Apple updater doesn't delete apps. If the employee thought it was normal, maybe that's because he specifically did a clean install?

I doubt Apple would switch to a staggered release because it would ruin their PR. The boast is always "best launch ever, <whatever>% of users updated on day one, <huge number of> downloads", trying to draw a distinction with Android in the minds of developers.

3. Frank Bough

No OS update from anyone else can do this http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/ios-7-adoption-9-19-13-at-10am-pt.jpg

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I've never understood what women go through during 26 hour labor until I tried to download iOS 7."

"iOS 7 won't download on my iPhone THIS IS THE WORST DAY EVER"

Wow. Talk about first world problems. There's a proper sub-set of iFans who are proper vacuous pratts. As for the first twittard, I'm sure a queue of women would quickly form to help teach him what labour would really feel like...

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Ask a woman who has ....

..... given birth and suffered kidney/gall stones which was worse. The worst curse I can think of is wishing kidney stones on someone.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Pirate

Re: Ask a woman who has ....

Have to agree with that sentiment. I've spoken to two women who have given birth and had gall stones, and they both said gall stones were far more painful.

Really made my day. :o)

I have numerous health problems, including having three heart attacks, but gall stones wins the "Hurts like fuck" prize by a country mile.

Like being run through with a rusty cutlass. Slowly and repeatedly.

Aaaarrrr...

2. Harman Mogul

Re: Ask a woman who has ....

Indeed, tis v painful.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

In fairness, we're looking at a subset that's the intersection of iPhone and Twitter users. That's not a normal subset of the group action.

1. VinceH

"In fairness, we're looking at a subset that's the intersection of iPhone and Twitter users. That's not a normal subset of the group action."

I don't think his use of Twitter is relevant, judging by the fanboi I commented about a few years ago.

Although, I suppose he could have been a Twitter user as well, but it never came up.

3. Tom_

No possibility of them deliberately overstating the problem and you guys missing the sense of humour then? :)

4. Kebablog

I managed to update my 4S and iPad Mini after a few messages stating that the update was unavailable. Can't complain as several million 800mb updates is going to cause a blockage somewhere.

1. Adam McCormack
      Coat

If only there was a torrent based distribution network...

5. stephajn

Colour me unsurprised

A brand new OS release....of COURSE something is going to go wrong. Although it does make one wonder what the hell is going on when features that are so CORE to the product are the ones that go wrong. Shouldn't it be the edge cases that have the issues?

Thinking back on the Wifi issues and so forth with iOS. Such glaring problems....why can't these be corrected before World+dog downloads the stupid thing? As for NYC Blonde's comment....like William Shatner said... "GET A LIFE!!!"

1. ItsNotMe

Re: Colour me unsurprised

"Although it does make one wonder what the hell is going on when features that are so CORE to the product are the ones that go wrong."

Nothing new here. Apple has been using its customers as Beta Testers for years. Why should anything change now with Boy Wonder 6 feet under?

1. teapot9999

iOS7 has been available to developers for ages, they should have updated their apps accordingly.

2. Pookietoo
      Facepalm

Re: "GET A LIFE!!!"

Do you not think perhaps that some of those tweets were taking the piss?

1. Amorous Cowherder

Re: "GET A LIFE!!!"

"Do you not think perhaps that some of those tweets were taking the piss?"

Sadly no because there are people out there who do genuinely think that way, so trying to sort the "wheat from the chaff" in huge pile of dickheads that the internet attracts is just to damn arduous to contemplate!

3. Cliff

Speaking of colour

I wonder if the bright, Fisher Price-esque look actually works with the 5C line colour sets?

4. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      FAIL

" A brand new OS release....of COURSE something is going to go wrong."

Oh dear, a child of the Microsoft generation, I see.

6. TheDysk
    Joke

"But fans of the new flat design claim it turns iThings into an entirely new product."

Something like a Fisher Price Toy then?

1. Cliff

New Product

Well apparently it has got number blocking now. That's entirely now insofar as it's apparently been entirely missing upto now.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like